AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Another one who played in the scratch match despite being available for seniors.

More intriguingly, played as a defender.

"He's worked really hard to get back and has made a pretty quick recovery from such a big injury, so his effort to get back has been sensational. We threw him down back and he was excellent. He intercepted the ball, read the flight, beat his man one-on-one and looked like a really attacking half-back. His pressure was outstanding and he got a lot of the ball as a backman. He looked really comfortable in defence."

Kinda looks a bit like Stewart and Laverde are in trouble, so they’re just throwing them into defence to see if there’s anything there.
Not sure what that says about for example McKernan and Gown though. Is them not being thrown around indicative that they've secured contracts for next year, or have the coaches already made up their minds?

The forward line is the most likely one to have a bit of turnover this year, we usually only select 5 out of the 14 forwards on the list at any one time. Compare that to defence, where we usually name 7 out of 12, or midfield where we name 9 out of 16. I'd be interested to know the breakdown of other club's lists, but having 14 forwards when only 5 of them get a game each week seems like we have depth for our depth.

The role he played a lot as a junior, no surprise to me that he looks comfortable. I’d play him in Gleesons role
If he is not sitting in the stand.

Kinda looks a bit like Stewart and Laverde are in trouble, so they’re just throwing them into defence to see if there’s anything there.
more likely someone like Gleeson is gone and they're trying to suss out potential replacements to determine the urgency of replacing them

Gleeson's best was better than anything Francis has shown. Gleeson at his best is a pretty damn good intercept marker. Problem is both (and Redman) have been nowhere near their best this year. First two probably both would look better if Ridley wasn't in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without commenting on who I think is gone I think this is right.

Dual position players will be at a premium if there are list reductions.
Who do you reckon might be on the way out? There's a bunch of them I can think of that might go for various reasons - delisting/traded/retired

Who do you reckon might be on the way out? There's a bunch of them I can think of that might go for various reasons - delisting/traded/retired
Laverde

Now it would be very Essington of us to move these two on only to lose Joe and be forced to offer Smack a multi-year deal. But I just can’t see it happening.

Without commenting on who I think is gone I think this is right.

Dual position players will be at a premium if there are list reductions.
Of Dodoro is around i reckon Laverde will be around for another one. He's the prototype Dodoro hybrid. Personally i think he showed a bit this year and i wouldn't mind another year.

Not sure what that says about for example McKernan and Gown though. Is them not being thrown around indicative that they've secured contracts for next year, or have the coaches already made up their minds?

The forward line is the most likely one to have a bit of turnover this year, we usually only select 5 out of the 14 forwards on the list at any one time. Compare that to defence, where we usually name 7 out of 12, or midfield where we name 9 out of 16. I'd be interested to know the breakdown of other club's lists, but having 14 forwards when only 5 of them get a game each week seems like we have depth for our depth.

Well we’ve got depth for our first choice forwards, but because they’re all injury prone, our depth has become our first choice forwards, which we need depth for.

A player who is represents everything our list has been like for 15 years. Shows glimpses to which we hold onto that glimmer of hope said player will come good.

Injury after injury is becoming frustratingly poor as lists shrink, he needs to go and we need to move past the hope so many guys in that 20 - 27 y.o age bracket had shown.

Farewell game?

Not for mine. We could be losing 10 in a weak draft year. Perfect candidate for a one year contract. Don’t want to be loading up with mandatory two years draft contracts for questionable kids. Plus he finally started to show something, has a compete first game that suits the pedigree of the coaches too.

Ordinarily I'd say his time is up but given the state of the list and the sheer number of players that are uncontracted going into next year we're probably better off keeping him, sounds like we'll be shedding enough players as it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back