AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

That bs I think. Laverde 193, Ridley is 195, zerk 195 and lobb 197. So ridley could have moved onto lobb if laverde truly was to small. We had a player kick 7 and didnt back zerk or ridley to make any difference. Zerk to taberner, ridley to lobb? laverder intercept play on the meduim. If zerk isnt rated to make the change I think we cut out losses and play reid for rest of the year. Did enough in the VFL to show signs of his class and maybe be the key defender we lack.
Lobb is 205...

May be a tad early but three years will be a killer for the list. Another Devon Smith re signed for two years error by list management.

Signed to the end of 2025 which means Cox (23), Reid (23), Brand/Eyre (22), McBride (24) will be stuck behind Lav for a key defender spot for the next few years.

Two years I could fathom but three for him was a bit of a reach imho.

Lav should be the third KPD.

We need to develop Cox & Reid to be the key pillars in defence.
I think ideally our backline is Reid, ridley, laverde, mcgrath, Kelly?, redman. Cox? Im not sure he's best position but I think throw him around a bit like we did paddy ryder? Reminds of skinny, skilful athlete we dont know what to do with yet. Ryder had some rough nights as a chb but it helped turn him into a pretty good footy player. Cox wont be a ruckman but bit of time at chb might turn him into a real weapon elsewhere in time.

Signed to the end of 2025 which means Cox (23), Reid (23), Brand/Eyre (22), McBride (24) will be stuck behind Lav for a key defender spot for the next few years.

Two years I could fathom but three for him was a bit of a reach imho.

Reid is the next great white hope, hope he is fit soon. Brand and Eyre have yet to show enough to warrant any seniors discussion (hardly their fault at this point) and McBride has shown he could be amazing and/or a bag of spuds. Has cox played a minute of proper backline at the club yet? None of them are stuck anywhere atm.

If in the second/third year Lav is depth, that's great news for the club. Wouldn't be on huge coin?

Reid is the next great white hope, hope he is fit soon. Brand and Eyre have yet to show enough to warrant any seniors discussion (hardly their fault at this point) and McBride has shown he could be amazing and/or a bag of spuds. Has cox played a minute of proper backline at the club yet? None of them are stuck anywhere atm.

If in the second/third year Lav is depth, that's great news for the club. Wouldn't be on huge coin?
Hopefully that front loaded contract is on the money (full pun intended) and Lav isn't a lock for a KPD spot in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barely the remotest concern with our side at the moment. He’s been more than serviceable holding down a key position when our pressure up the field is AFL standard

Seems the Dons on Radio catch-up podcast thing has a different stream this year. Few interviews from last week that I hadn't seen.

Laverde on SEN.

Talks about what it's like to play undersized, and the craft he has to use to play to his strengths. Example was Daniher the other week who he can't compete with in the air so he'd try to work him under the ball a bit more.

This thread has gone stupid. Does anyone know how tall Stephen May is? Jeremy McGovern? You don’t need to be 205cm tall to play well on a 205cm tall forward

You do, however, need AFL standard pressure up the field. We don’t have that at the moment. You could play whoever you wanted at FB at the moment and it would be a struggle for them.

This thread has gone stupid. Does anyone know how tall Stephen May is? Jeremy McGovern? You don’t need to be 205cm tall to play well on a 205cm tall forward

You do, however, need AFL standard pressure up the field. We don’t have that at the moment. You could play whoever you wanted at FB at the moment and it would be a struggle for them.
I think was hung out to dry by coaching staff and midfield on the weekend. He had a bad day/game but keeping him on Taberner was unfair and bad coaching. We had Ridley, zerk or even cox who should have been given a crack. Had a good year last year and hasn't been our worst this year.

True.

However, May is massive man when you combine his 193cm with shoulders that look 1m wide and a big barrel chest. McGovern is the same. They're different beasts.

At 191cm, at the absolute most, he's not 193cm, Laverde is a conventional flanker sized player with explosive power that enables him to play tall.

For what its worth, May would not have done anything against Taberner on those leads. McGovern wouldn't even have tried (and would probably be plugging the hole from the front).

True.

However, May is massive man when you combine his 193cm with shoulders that look 1m wide and a big barrel chest. McGovern is the same. They're different beasts.

At 191cm, at the absolute most, he's not 193cm, Laverde is a conventional flanker sized player with explosive power that enables him to play tall.

For what its worth, May would not have done anything against Taberner on those leads. McGovern wouldn't even have tried (and would probably be plugging the hole from the front).
The total lack of pressure we put on them through the middle it would have taken a hybrid Fletcher / Scarlett / Silvangi to have kept him to 3 goals.

Subbed out due to a knee issue, no structural damage, test for this week

Defender Jayden Laverde is giving himself every chance to be available for Sunday’s crunch game against the Western Bulldogs.

Laverde suffered a knock to his knee early in the Dons’ Anzac Day clash, which forced the 26-year-old to be subbed out of the game at three-quarter time.

Head of high performance Sean Murphy said Laverde was a test, but the early signs were promising for the highly valued defender to take his place in the best 22.

“‘Jaydos’ (Laverde) copped that heavy knock to the knee,” Murphy told Essendon’s Liberty Financial Performance Update.

“It got worse across the game and we subbed him out. He came in today still pretty swollen and sore, but he was cleared of any structural damage which was pleasing.

“He’ll be a test for this week, but all things are looking pretty positive.”

True.

I would 100% have not said May was 'only' 193cm if I hadn't read this, he looks significantly larger on-field than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back