My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 7, Nuggs Bunny

Last edited by a moderator:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes I think the coaches will be happy to play Laverde ahead of Baguley.

I personally love Baguley as you know what you will get. However, what you'll get isn't as good as Laverde's best.
You have a player in their last year vs a player with a career ahead of him and i doubt on output Baguley would be streets ahead so it comes of no benefit playing him ahead of Lav if Lav is playing well and is fit.

Rancid Trogs

Senior List
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Very happy to have gotten Jayden in the 'My Boy' draft. Really excited for what 2019 might bring ... although disappointed he didn't get a run last night. Was reading a decent season preview last night at:

https://readingtheplay.wordpress.com/2019/03/07/essendon-bombers-2019-season-preview/

and happily found the following:

"Jayden Laverde is the man Essendon fans would love to get a decent run at it. He's got size, power and aggression. He just needs to stay on the park. With an eye catching three goal performance to finish season 2018 and the best preseason of his short career, Laverde will be hoping to cement a spot in Essendon's best 22 this year."

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd like to share you optimism but the coaches seem to select Baguley every time.
It’s early March, Bruno. For Bombers fans that’s traditionally a time when heavy losses in preseason games are the only things slightly diminishing summer’s boundless optimism.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Would play him ahead of Baguley. We have Tippa, Fantasia, Smith and McGrath who can all play as small forwards...really need another player who can mark the ball and provide some size up forward.

Laverde is strong and quick....no reason he can’t bring the same level of pressure as Baguley.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Would play him ahead of Baguley. We have Tippa, Fantasia, Smith and McGrath who can all play as small forwards...really need another player who can mark the ball and provide some size up forward.

Laverde is strong and quick....no reason he can’t bring the same level of pressure as Baguley.
100% agree with this. Baguley didn’t look great in the JLT so I think it’s wiser to develop Laverde and keep Baguley as depth.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
This bloke needs to work his way in to the seniors and stay there. Personally i think if he is fit he should play so he can get some consistency at the highest level. Always been a big fan of bags and nothing against him but if some of our young blokes like laverde and parish cant match bags intensity and take his spot in the 22 soon it would be disappointing.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I've never really got the Laverde hype. His first 4 years at the club have produced a good first half against Geelong and a 3 goal quarter against somebody (i forget who it was, Gold Coast?). The coaches have never had him as a priority selection, nearly always choosing to select someone else ahead of him. Like last year he got games after Begley and Green were injured. Now he's fallen behind Baguley in the pecking order too. This is despite the fact that Baguley barely even kept his spot on the list.

My prediction is he'll continue to just be a depth player as long as he's on our list. He's not awful but he lacks the endurance to be a midfielder, lacks the forward nous to be a quality AFL forward and just doesn't really fit into an AFL structure as far as I an tell.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I've never really got the Laverde hype. His first 4 years at the club have produced a good first half against Geelong and a 3 goal quarter against somebody (i forget who it was, Gold Coast?). The coaches have never had him as a priority selection, nearly always choosing to select someone else ahead of him. Like last year he got games after Begley and Green were injured. Now he's fallen behind Baguley in the pecking order too. This is despite the fact that Baguley barely even kept his spot on the list.

My prediction is he'll continue to just be a depth player as long as he's on our list. He's not awful but he lacks the endurance to be a midfielder, lacks the forward nous to be a quality AFL forward and just doesn't really fit into an AFL structure as far as I an tell.

Kicked 3 goals in the first qrt against Port last year

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Kicked 3 goals in the first qrt against Port last year

Wow 3 goals, one time. Look at all the games he played last season playing in the forward line the vast majority of the time. Most games he didn't even kick 1 goal. Special mention to him in the Carlton game where he managed under 10 disposals, no tackles, no goals and no goal assists.

Footywire Laverde.JPG

Back