AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted him delisted 3 years ago, 2 years ago, 1 year ago but somehow this year he's kind of won me over. I dunno I'd give him a year. His return from injury was a hell of a lot more impressive than Stringer's from virtually the same injury. Speaks volume's about their relative professionalism in terms of the shape he came back in.
Shame Stringer's miles more talented.

I’ve always been a fan of laverde, but it’s time for him to go. People saying give him 1 more year, so you honestly see him playing over 12-14 games next year and winning another contract? It’s likely he won’t, so we might aswell cut our losses now. Has shown glimpses but unfortunately his body will never allow him to have a fair run at it.

A lot of the chat around Laverde is that we have to ‘take emotion out of it’ and that we need to be ruthless and cut him to prove that we’re fair dinkum.

If the answer to the question ‘does he help us going forward?’ is yes, then he stays, pretty simple IMO. On the basis of the player he is now and his physical attributes, reckon giving him a year is a pretty easy call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made up my mind that if we are fair dinkum as a football club then tough decisions need to be made and this is one we should be making.

Agree but after having a look we could easily have 10 players go without even getting to the Saad and Daniher situations and I am not sure it is wise to be chopping much more than a 1/4 of your list in any one year. It will depend on who leaves via trade.

A lot of the chat around Laverde is that we have to ‘take emotion out of it’ and that we need to be ruthless and cut him to prove that we’re fair dinkum.

If the answer to the question ‘does he help us going forward?’ is yes, then he stays, pretty simple IMO. On the basis of the player he is now and his physical attributes, reckon giving him a year is a pretty easy call.

It's the faux hard decision.

The real hard decisions surround Smith and Heppell who we are inventing roles for and at least 1 other mid. They're the decisions that influence mediocrity. A depth player doesn't even rank on the scale of tough, team defining decisions.

On the other hand you can look at the fact he's never really settled at AFL level through injury, and when he has been up there he's been very inconsistent.

Take yesterday for example. He had 6 touches, and some were on here saying he played a good game. Yeah he did a couple of nice things but 6 touches is a good game? Really? He didn't kick 3 goals like Stewart did, he was largely invisible but 1 or 2 things done well and he gets a free pass.

The only way he should stay is because Daniher leaves.
It's the faux hard decision.

The real hard decisions surround Smith and Heppell who we are inventing roles for and at least 1 other mid. They're the decisions that influence mediocrity. A depth player doesn't even rank on the scale of tough, team defining decisions.
Translation: Bruno likes him and perceives that he's hard done by so he should stay.

Forgetting the fact he spends most of his time getting to where the ball isn't (maybe there's a future for him in the fat side role?), he isn't able to string games together. With list reduction talked about you have to question taking a spot with a guy who has never managed even half a season.

The irony is that he got injured busting through a fairly strong tackle for a nice dish-off goal assist, ie actually doing what people have been waiting for him to do- use his size and aggression.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back