Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was a terrific effort.

Stuff the AFL.

We all knew that the AFL reward mediocrity by giving first draft picks to bottom sides. Now they have really stepped up a level or two by rewarding mediocrity within games by giving frees for pulling out of a contest and giving up. Good one AFL.

He is a good technical kick but he really needs to work on his kicking under pressure. The kick to Houli in the corridor for example was a risky kick that he should have made easily but kicked it over his head

Once he eradicates those kind of mistakes he'll be as good as some people think he is

I would like to see this kid occasionally played foward just to create uncertainty against the opposition , Would love to see George & Shorty swap roles during games to mix things up a bit

I would like to see this kid occasionally played foward just to create uncertainty against the opposition , Would love to see George & Shorty swap roles during games to mix things up a bit
Bit worried about George's composure and kicking in backline.
Less costly up forward.

He is growing as a player. Does a fair bit more right than wrong and he looks like he has the determination to be a very good run and deliver backman. Go Jayden!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things...

Firstly, all this discussion re. his rushed behind on Saturday - but let's not forget/ignore the great effort in the first place.
Let's go to the tape...
Bombers on the charge from half back, ball kicked forward with 2 or 3 Bombers in front of shorty... he does his best Usain Bolt and beats them all to the slowing ball 1 metre out from the goal-line and forces it through - preventing a certain goal.
What a phenomenal defensive play at a big moment in a tight game!!!

Nah - **** him, shoulda done more!

Secondly, Shorty seems to be a bit of a visionary of the game - setting agenda's regularly.

Few weeks ago v Dogs his fumble to the line caused a change in interpretation for deliberate out-of-bounds...
This week - watch as AFL tightens this forced behind rule up before the next games
He's an agenda setter I tell ya!

This Sat night need him to be unjustly pinged for holding the ball after having prior opportunity so the AFL tidy this area up next!

Go Shorty! :thumbsu:

Outran Josh Green with ease, he is quick to add to the rest of our pace!

He is a good technical kick but he really needs to work on his kicking under pressure. The kick to Houli in the corridor for example was a risky kick that he should have made easily but kicked it over his head

Once he eradicates those kind of mistakes he'll be as good as some people think he is

Every single player has those kicks (Dusty does it every week), you'll never eradicate it completely from anyone! He goes just shy of 80% disposal efficiency and he takes a lot of challenging kicks from out d50 because we want him not Astbury and Grimes doing it. The next step is he has to learn to find more of the ball, really hope he can become our Rory Laird.

Remind me, what was the knock on him to not make the main draft and instead be rookie listed? Fast and accurate with a decent brain, he's a very solid player. Was it his size?

Think he was injured a bit in his draft year from memory too.

Comparisons with Heath Shaw, that would be awesome.
I know he's playing well down back but he's so well balanced and skilled that when he gets his experience and confidence up I'd hope we send him back to the forward line and even get some time in the middle. A Robbie Gray type.

How's the kick tho. Last qtr I think, he has the ball about 55-60 out, dodges one defender and kicks the s**t out of it. Should be looking for the Palm off a little more often I reckon, would give Griff a run for his money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back