Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

C
Are you Houli's uncle ? The reason we are going wellish is because we have an elite kick down back and it ain't Houli.
What did you think of his 60m left foot goal on the run the other week?
Crickey man.
Houli bangs it up the wing 45m only on one side.
This guy can go both ways and bang in it 60m.
Certainly not his uncle lol
He's not an an elite kick. You're over rating him dramatically. Was a beauty that goal. Elite kicks create stuff. He doesn't do that. Nice chipper of the footy.
Would consider blokes like bob, lids, rich, hurn, Burgoyne and Higgins elite kicks.

Short isn't in that category. Don't feed me percentage crap on his kicking either. Most defenders have high percentage kicking efficiency cause of the way they chip the ball around. Those blokes break games open with their kicking. I've never seen short do that. Not saying the kid can't play. He's probably the best user of the ball we have in the backline but that doesn't say a lot does it. We are the kings of average kicks in the backline. Big ast safer this year but still turns it over, rance although greatly improved, Ellis average kick, houli can't go right, grimes can't kick. Vlas a bit better then them and short with him.

I'm not sold on Short YET. If he's going to be the running, distributing defender off half back then he needs to be getting over 20 disposals a game. He doesn't have many strings to his bow yet. He's a long good kick when he's in space, but no other real strengths to his game.
In the offseason they should work on his education of where and when to run, must get the ball more.
Couldn't of said it better myself

Couldn't of said it better myself

Don't underestimate the value to his team mates being pure on both sides of the body.
Means he's happy to receive anywhere anytime and can dispose of it when he wants not when he has got on to his right.
It's just gold having a two sided player and this team or maybe the next will really benefit once we use him correctly.

He has played an important role in our backline making it look more and more comfortable with the footy. That's not to say Dimma won't drop him for Taylor Hunt.

Last edited:
I think his kicking confidence is well down. He's generally a good kick, but the last few weeks it's gone down.

IMO he should be dropped, just to get a bit of kicking confidence (and confidence in general).

Thought he played not to bad yesti, he can kick on both sides well which is so important when under pressure in tha backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a better forward than defender. Problem is we have a plethora of smalls and Vlastuin/Houli were both out for large periods meaning it was up to Short to secure a rebounding role. Both Vlas and Houli are back now so Short needs to find form in the two's. Very smart and skilful footballer, will bounce back. Just wish we could find a spot up forward for him. Robbie Gray 2.0

Is a better forward than defender. Problem is we have a plethora of smalls and Vlastuin/Houli were both out for large periods meaning it was up to Short to secure a rebounding role. Both Vlas and Houli are back now so Short needs to find form in the two's. Very smart and skilful footballer, will bounce back. Just wish we could find a spot up forward for him. Robbie Gray 2.0
I wish he was half as good as Gray

If i was Jayden Short and trying to make a spot in the Richmond team mine, I would be looking at Bachar Houli's position and i would be modelling my game around Rory Laird and how he plays, Has all the tools to make a similar impact ar Laird if he lives upto his full potential and works hard at that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back