Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

4 of Short's kicks were marked by Collingwood players (3 uncontested).
1 was marked by a Richmond player (chip kick-in to the pocket from a point, you know the one the opposition lets you have).
1 went out on the full, under slight pressure.
1 was smothered, after he'd given an unnecessary handball for the 1-2.
1 went along the ground putting McIntosh under pressure but KMac made it good and helped Short's DE. Ditto the handball 2 metres over KMac's head that he gathered and turned into an 'efficient' disposal.

Josh Thomas' 3rd and 4th goals were the direct result of diabolical Short (non)defending. Mihocek's dribble goal in the 2nd was the result of Short being easily bumped out of a contest by first-year player Josh Daicos, then watching first-year player Stephenson run away and deliver.

4 of Short's kicks were marked by Collingwood players (3 uncontested).
1 was marked by a Richmond player (chip kick-in to the pocket from a point, you know the one the opposition lets you have).
1 went out on the full, under slight pressure.
1 was smothered, after he'd given an unnecessary handball for the 1-2.
1 went along the ground putting McIntosh under pressure but KMac made it good and helped Short's DE. Ditto the handball 2 metres over KMac's head that he gathered and turned into an 'efficient' disposal.

Josh Thomas' 3rd and 4th goals were the direct result of diabolical Short (non)defending. Mihocek's dribble goal in the 2nd was the result of Short being easily bumped out of a contest by first-year player Josh Daicos, then watching first-year player Stephenson run away and deliver.
Out of all those crappy kicks that went 535 meters in total, how many ended up as a stoppage straight away or the next sequence in play, only to be propelled further towards out goal?

Similar to Johannisen in 16” and Jayden Hunt last year in the ability to play that quarter back role but lack the defensive traits to justify top coin

Remember when Johannisen was leaving the doggies last year for the big coin yet ended up staying put the same will happen with shorty

Similar to Johannisen in 16” and Jayden Hunt last year in the ability to play that quarter back role but lack the defensive traits to justify top coin

Remember when Johannisen was leaving the doggies last year for the big coin yet ended up staying put the same will happen with shorty
I am praying for him to stay, he's a real talent with huge potential and a huge future. It's inevitable that he'll get big money offers at some point we just have to hope he stays loyal to our great club. Apparently he's eyeing off a long term deal at the club so there's a good chance he'll stay if this is true because the club will definitely wanna lock sign him up and get him off the market.

Anyone see J Brown mention Jayden Short as a possible target for Gold Coast, On the Couch, chasing young players when talking about player agents talking down players going to Gold Coast for big money?

Its an interesting one. I can only see us getting Lynch via Free agency not a trade. So if Short went to Gold Coast it would have to be for a top draft pick. Gold Coasts 1st round picks would be too high but Adelaide's might be okay. Adelaide would be chasing Gold Coast Lynch compo pick or equivalent in a trade to get the likes of Rankine and/or Lukasis. Adelaide would have to cough up something significant to Gold Coast though!! We could help Adelaide get what they want from Gold Coast and help Gold Coast get what they are looking for to so all players and clubs are happy and see a future!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see J Brown mention Jayden Short as a possible target for Gold Coast chasing young players when talking about player agents talking down players going to Gold Coast for big money?
aVOSkIC.gif

Just thinking for Adelaide to try and get picks 2 and 3 from Gold Coast they would have to try and trade the likes of McGovern to the Gold Coast.

Carlton trade pick 1 for pick 3 from Adelaide to get for something to get Sam Walsh after Lukacis and Rankine.

Alternatively they trade McGovern to Carlton for pick 1 and who knows with the rest. Walsh, Rankine end up at Gold Coast. McGovern is a similar age to Patrick Cripps so thats more likely in terms of selling a real story to the players. Short is the same age as KK, Lachie Weller and 1 year younger than Jack Martin

Last edited:
Jayden Short is eyeing a long-term deal at Richmond after career-best season
JAYDEN Short was one of the hard luck stories of 2018.
But now the Richmond defender is being earmarked as an All-Australian, with his ripping form likely to coincide with a healthy new contract.

And in a role reversal, it could be Short that inflicts some heart ache on teammates this finals series, with competition for spots at Richmond at an all-time high.

Short played every match from Round 2-18 in 2017 before the likes of Jack Graham usurped his position in the team that went on to claim the premiership.

But the hard-running defender has played every match this season and has performed such a strong role that other teammates — including premiership players Brandon Ellis and Kamdyn McIntosh — have been relegated to the twos at different stages throughout the year.

Short put contract talks on hold at the start of the season — a move that is set to see him earn a healthy pay rise when negotiations are finalised.

And the 22-year-old is hopeful of securing a long-term deal at the club.

“Certainly. You would always love a long-term deal,” Short told foxfooty.com.au.

“I’ll leave it up to my manager. I am in constant talks with him and confident he’ll get something done.”
Short was one of the standout performers in Richmond’s 28-point win over Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday — mainly because he kicked two identical goals in two minutes.

Both times, the rookie lurked outside 50 as a teammate was lining up for a set shot on goal only to call for the ball as he bombed it through the big sticks on the run.

“I only put myself in that position when I’m feeling comfortable,” Short said.

“But if I feel like I can make the distance I put myself in the position to receive the ball and hope they handball.”

While the 50-game defender has hit the scoreboard nine times this season, his biggest contribution has been in his metres gained.

No player has more to their name than Short.

“He’s such an impressive young man,” coach Damien Hardwick said.

“He’s a real footy head, a very popular member of our football club.

“We love the way he plays and what he brings. He’s had a really great season.

“He had a good season last year and was really unlucky to miss out in the finals. He has been a really important part of why we’ve improved as a side this year.”

Short said his form was being fuelled by the frustration of missing out on Richmond’s drought-breaking premiership.

And having been axed so late in the season in 2017, Short certainly isn’t becoming complacent any time soon.

Graham, Dan Butler, Bachar Houli and Reece Conca are all expected to return to the team before the end of the home and away season, making competition for spots healthier than ever.

Someone is going to have to make room. But Short is doing everything in his power to ensure it’s not him.

“If you went and watched our VFL you’d know they had an 80-point win as well,” Short said.

“Everyone’s putting their hand up.

“Liam Baker came in today and had an impact in his first game so that’s amazing.”

Anyone see J Brown mention Jayden Short as a possible target for Gold Coast, On the Couch, chasing young players when talking about player agents talking down players going to Gold Coast for big money?

Its an interesting one. I can only see us getting Lynch via Free agency not a trade. So if Short went to Gold Coast it would have to be for a top draft pick. Gold Coasts 1st round picks would be too high but Adelaide's might be okay. Adelaide would be chasing Gold Coast Lynch compo pick or equivalent in a trade to get the likes of Rankine and/or Lukasis. Adelaide would have to cough up something significant to Gold Coast though!! We could help Adelaide get what they want from Gold Coast and help Gold Coast get what they are looking for to so all players and clubs are happy and see a future!

Gold Coast ! ROFL

Hunt , ffs he can run but can’t kick that’s why he isn’t playing , nothing like short , JJ not as good a kick either , not bad but not as good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back