Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
He isn't a defender either.
These days wingmen play much more a midfield type roll due to a much more contested game, unless you have that real running game like Hawthorn's Smith, or are super evasive/clever like our Edwards. Short is not a contesting player. But half backs can be average defensively if they have attacking qualities, like Houli. Short is only just starting his career as a defendere, so yes he isn't much of a defender, but he can improve on that, like Houli.

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
How many wingmen can you have in your team?
Start with Grigg & McIntosh, then there are suggestions that Short & Ellis are better suited there.
Then apparently it is Bolton's natural postition rather than as a small mid.
And I've also heard Balta or C Moore are ideal for wing and second ruck.
Plus Edwards, Lambert, Graham. ie Those that are behind Cotch, Dusty & Prestia as starting in the centre but are midfielders.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
These days wingmen play much more a midfield type roll due to a much more contested game, unless you have that real running game like Hawthorn's Smith, or are super evasive/clever like our Edwards. Short is not a contesting player. But half backs can be average defensively if they have attacking qualities, like Houli. Short is only just starting his career as a defendere, so yes he isn't much of a defender, but he can improve on that, like Houli.
I agree he can improve, but imo he could also improve enough to play on the wing.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree he can improve, but imo he could also improve enough to play on the wing.
Agreed, I always thought he was a potential wingman. One thing about Short, I reckon he is a determined and pretty intense sort of player, so will be out to improve. Either way, half back or wing he is a work in progress, like most young players.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Shorts not a problem, go and have a look at a bloke like George........ he is not best 22
George serves a purpose along with Butler.Both not high possession players but make the opposition panic.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
George serves a purpose along with Butler.Both not high possession players but make the opposition panic.

Short and George are both tiny but George isn't soft.

Short, I reckon he is a determined and pretty intense sort of player

Really? Id say this describes George more

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Im in the anti-Short camp however two things that will help him are the new rules and Tom Lynch. Like the other guy was saying, many of Shorts kicks were to no one and the ball came back with interest. Lynch should help this as at least Short (and the rest of the backline) will have a get out of jailfree card to aim for instead of just Jack with 3 blokes on him.

The new rules too should be ideal for Short

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Im in the anti-Short camp however two things that will help him are the new rules and Tom Lynch. Like the other guy was saying, many of Shorts kicks were to no one and the ball came back with interest. Lynch should help this as at least Short (and the rest of the backline) will have a get out of jailfree card to aim for instead of just Jack with 3 blokes on him.

The new rules too should be ideal for Short
Yes...who dares with the new rules wins...

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I see Jayden Short as more of a player like Adelaide's Rory Laird and at the same age they are very very similar players and with similar output
Rory Laird is a 2x AA in 2017 & 2018 and is 2 years older . Not saying Short will be AA but he is tracking very similar to Lairds output

Think the coaches will develop his defensive game more and will only improve the next 2-3 years as he is only 23 in January

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Of course the ideal player would do both, although that is not easy. Cyril Rioli was the king of pressure, but not a high possession player.... Perhaps Dan Rioli and Bolton could bridge that gap.
Dan looks more of a natural mid/winger than even Cyril.Not sold on Bolton.Dont think he has the discipline of Dan or the others.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I see Jayden Short as more of a player like Adelaide's Rory Laird and at the same age they are very very similar players and with similar output
Rory Laird is a 2x AA in 2017 & 2018 and is 2 years older . Not saying Short will be AA but he is tracking very similar to Lairds output

Think the coaches will develop his defensive game more and will only improve the next 2-3 years as he is only 23 in January
If shorty can ave 30+p's then he will have improved.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Dan looks more of a natural mid/winger than even Cyril.Not sold on Bolton.Dont think he has the discipline of Dan or the others.
Dan and Cyril are pretty alike. Both don't take too many touches to hurt you. Both can play through the middle, although mostly they play forward and they both make backmen nervous. Perhaps Dan can play wing, but when you can do the damage they do, especially Cyril, up forward, why move them.

Didn't Short have shoulder surgery at the end of 2017? That might have impacted his tackling confidence possibly? I think he had it strapped much of the season too. I didn't think he looked confident in that aspect of his game much of the season...

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Didn't Short have shoulder surgery at the end of 2017? That might have impacted his tackling confidence possibly? I think he had it strapped much of the season too. I didn't think he looked confident in that aspect of his game much of the season...
Fair call...

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Dan and Cyril are pretty alike. Both don't take too many touches to hurt you. Both can play through the middle, although mostly they play forward and they both make backmen nervous. Perhaps Dan can play wing, but when you can do the damage they do, especially Cyril, up forward, why move them.
I think Dan would be wasted up fwd.He's better than a Role player ala George & Butler.Wouldn't mind Dan & Sheds rotating between HF & Mid on a more regular basis.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
9th in the best and fairest in a pretty strong team. Short is going OK.
B&F votes are given based on performance compared to expectation. How else could Lambert have finished ahead of Cotchin the past two years and Dusty this year? He wasn't better.

Back