Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

as I've said before, you are a 15-year-old fangirl trapped in a 52-year-old man's body. I'm sure you kiss the Shorty poster on your wall right before bed.

For someone so obsessed with knowing exactly how tall each player is every day, one would think you might have some idea of the significance 6kg of muscle has, especially on the little guys. Laird is tough because he puts his body on the line. Short stays out of harm's way.

Where he was drafted is irrelevant.

What a load of Rubbish , Players get drafted later for a reason and thats usually because they either have flaws to work on or personal issue's or just are not at the required level at the time of being drafted so may need more development. So yes it does make a difference.

In regards to your chauvinistic comment regarding under age fan girls , Perhaps you might like to discuss your infatuation with a former pick #12 that was as soft as butter which you kept telling us about. But im sure you are still secretly a fan and by looking at how highly you rated him i think i will ignore your opinion of a players quality Mr C. Ellis is a whopping ball of muscle at 79kgs and 184cm (2kgs lighter than when drafted)

Now if you have the time perhaps you might like to go back to my posts about Short prior to his signing an extension last year and what we should pay him and what we should not to get a better understanding of where i rate him and if i have posters on my wall When the majority wanted us to pay him $500k a year which was the offer from other clubs i am on record as saying that $350k max as he is not at that level yet and would need to work on parts of his game still.

I wont even bother with going into the heights of players as thats my issue regarding the RFC webside and the inaccurate heights / weights thing
Have a good day sunshine and dont bother replying to my post as i dont have anymore time to waste on reading utter Sh!t

Last edited by a moderator:
Short plays in the backline. 3 of his 20 disposals per game go inside 50. That means 85% don't. So, I agree, your comparison to Maxfield and Raines is way off base.

A long kick to a contest is counted as efficient no matter what happens next. More meaningless stats.
Yes far less inside 50's than Raines or Maxy, but many of Shorts kicks are up around the 60-70m mark, where CHF's play. Riewoldt (like Richo in particuar did), plays around that mark more this season even more so with Lynch arriving. Also a long kick to a contest suits us with Rioli, Butler and co. at Riewoldt's feet. The amount of work Jack does at the 70m mark is amazing.
And I think Short will get better at rebounding (like Houli), because right now I think he gets the easy ones out the back too much. He is learning the ropes.[/QUOTE]
This is why I want short to play wong, so he can use his long kicking to a more dangerous position ie our tall fwds.

Yes far less inside 50's than Raines or Maxy, but many of Shorts kicks are up around the 60-70m mark, where CHF's play. Riewoldt (like Richo in particuar did), plays around that mark more this season even more so with Lynch arriving. Also a long kick to a contest suits us with Rioli, Butler and co. at Riewoldt's feet. The amount of work Jack does at the 70m mark is amazing.
And I think Short will get better at rebounding (like Houli), because right now I think he gets the easy ones out the back too much. He is learning the ropes.
This is why I want short to play wong, so he can use his long kicking to a more dangerous position ie our tall fwds.[/QUOTE]
At the start of the season I also thought he was quite suited to the wing, but I think these days wingmen have to be the had running skillful types like Issac Smith or Jared Polak or good in the traffic hard at it types like Edwards and Lambert who rotate through the middle of the ground. Don't think Short is either at the moment, but his development has been pretty steep over two seasons so maybe he will turn into that sort of player.

Righto...I’m taking an idea for a walk here so pull me up if I’m way off the mark.
Short plays 95% of 2017 and gets dropped for finals.
Contract comes up, Club wants him management sits at the table and says he’s pissed he’ll sign for two years but he plays every game if he sticks to his role, and if you drop him again he gets to walk.

I prefer seeing a link up player running thru and he’s not a defender first, but he wouldn’t be doing it off his own intiative. It’s the strategy of getting over the square as quickly as possible.

Righto...I’m taking an idea for a walk here so pull me up if I’m way off the mark.
Short plays 95% of 2017 and gets dropped for finals.
Contract comes up, Club wants him management sits at the table and says he’s pissed he’ll sign for two years but he plays every game if he sticks to his role, and if you drop him again he gets to walk.

I prefer seeing a link up player running thru and he’s not a defender first, but he wouldn’t be doing it off his own intiative. It’s the strategy of getting over the square as quickly as possible.

More money for Rioli and Vlastuin

And I think Short will get better at rebounding (like Houli), because right now I think he gets the easy ones out the back too much. He is learning the ropes.
This is why I want short to play wong, so he can use his long kicking to a more dangerous position ie our tall fwds.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

He does make the one out the back look even easier because he is so good on both sides of the body. No matter where he gets it’s he is able to look up straight away. Houli and others need to run on to their preferred side or if corralled just hand ball forward etc.

Will be interesting to se how we use him.

Throw Kamdyn "chaos" McIntosh back there?

Well do tell, who is this player who is going to kick Short out of the team? 15 gamer (zero in 2018 )Markov?

Vlastuin, Grimes, Rance, Astbury, Houli, Broad, Mcintosh, BEllis was the premiership backline

I'd love to see Markov come good - younger than Short and IMO showed good signs when given a game

Just my opinion he is best 22 simply because none of the ones coming thru have an output any where near him (Grigg) atm.

Riewoldt, Lynch, Rioli, Higgins, Butler, Caddy

Rance, Vlastuin, Grimes, Astbury, Houli, Broad,

Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Nankervis, Lambert, Edwards,

+ Mcintosh, George, Graham, 2nd ruck [not grigg]

The guys in bold are the probably the weakest area -Brandon Ellis, Short, Grigg have a similar level of output in regards to possessions and hitouts. They should be in contention to win these positions i reckon.

Last edited:
Vlastuin, Grimes, Rance, Astbury, Houli, Broad, Mcintosh, BEllis was the premiership backline

I'd love to see Markov come good - younger than Short and IMO showed good signs when given a game

The guys in bold are the probably the weakest area -Brandon Ellis, Short, Grigg have a similar level of output in regards to possessions and hitouts. They should be in contention to win these positions i reckon.
I think we really missed Butler, in the fwd line. he is cleaner than George and seems to do the right think most times. At least when he is aware of who is around him, as he gets caught a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have stated numerous times that I don't like the way Short gets the ball out the back and has to kick it as long as he can, often around the corner and as you say Jack makes him look good. But after another preseason learning a bit more about playing the rebounding half back and hopefully learning off Houli's running patterns, he could become a weapon with his long kicking to position. Not so sure about the squib etc. He ran out of form as the season went, which goes a long way to making a player look worse than they are. I'll back him to rebound.

Agree he's 22 years young, started as a FWD, only recently (last 2 years) been a back line player
Agree he kicks long and sometimes the ball comes back really quick
I believe he can only get better not worse, O.K he was run out of puff in finals, but he did a mountain of work leading up to the finals
I wouldn't want B.Ellis to replace/go down back instead of say Short and Houli
Give Shorty a chance as he is an offensive rebounder not a negating one, Vlastuin and Grimes are our stoppers
Houli is the same and we gave him heaps over the years.
Markov or Menadue will replace Houli very soon, I have no doubt
Our backline will be Short (small) and Markov/Menadue (medium) as offensive weapons
Go Tigers

Must play short on the wing NOW!!!! Markov can play his role. Instruct we want long bombs to lynch or riewoldt deep. Ellis, martin, balta, McIntosh, menadue, anyone else with a powerful boot to do the same. We must bomb the opposition into submission. They won't get out marked. Rioli, butler, Higgins, Bolton, naish, whoever can dine out on the crumbs. Castagna can join me in the grandstand.

Must play short on their wing NOW!!!! Markov can play his role. Instruct we want long bombs to lynch or riewoldt deep. Ellis, martin, balta, McIntosh, menadue, anyone else with a powerful boot to do the same. We must bomb the opposition into submission. They won't get out marked. Rioli, butler, Higgins, Bolton, naish, whoever can dine out on the crumbs. Castagna can join me in the grandstand.
I’m with you on bombing it in but I reckon we have ample options without taking Short out of the backline. With the new rules I think players like short, who runs and kicks long, will be crucial.

I can't pick Short, on the one hand he's good offensively, but honestly there are better in the league. He's certainly not elite or in the top few rebounding defenders.

Defensively, I feel he's non-existent. I honestly can't recall a time where he's destroyed an opponent defensively or made some great defensive play that I took notice of.

I can't pick Short, on the one hand he's good offensively, but honestly there are better in the league. He's certainly not elite or in the top few rebounding defenders.

Defensively, I feel he's non-existent. I honestly can't recall a time where he's destroyed an opponent defensively or made some great defensive play that I took notice of.

We have Grimes, Broad, Vlas, Ast & Rance whose role is to negate. Short & Houli provide offense from that 1/2 of the ground.

We have Grimes, Broad, Vlas, Ast & Rance whose role is to negate. Short & Houli provide offense from that 1/2 of the ground.
I don't think a player needs to be one or the other. It would be good if all of our defenders could defend well. Otherwise it's potentially exploitable.

I think if Short is only going to be an offensive player, he needs to be in the very top echelon, which he isn't yet*

*Could become this year.

What a terrible situation! We have a guy that is a great rebounder and sets up a lot of our offense. But isn't a great defender. Given how poor our defense is we must replace him immediately with a player so much better.

Actually we have a great defense that both stops and attacks. Short is becoming an important part of that. He's got shortcomings (sorry but I had to). We don't have anyone else like Short, Houli is closest. Short's kicking means that teams have started to mark him as he enters our forward half. That takes one opposition player out of the game, to stop Short. That shows his importance.

Right now I'd love someone to replace him, because they are better. That would be one hell of a player!

If we are talking about output from mids then Grigg is miles in front of McIntosh, Ellis, Edwards, Caddy, Higgins, Graham Houli???, and possibly even Lambert.

I find it ludicrous that people talk about Grigg playing as a ruckman.He stands there and becomes an extra mid once the ball hits the ground in effect a ruckman in name only.When was the last time he actually competed in the ruck. Hes an extra mid he is not a ruckman and to talk about him as one is just plain silly.We concede ruck taps to have the extra mid in there lambert could do the same job or edwards or any of our mids.

If we are talking about output from mids then Grigg is miles in front of McIntosh, Ellis, Edwards, Caddy, Higgins, Graham Houli???, and possibly even Lambert.

I find it ludicrous that people talk about Grigg playing as a ruckman.He stands there and becomes an extra mid once the ball hits the ground in effect a ruckman in name only.When was the last time he actually competed in the ruck. Hes an extra mid he is not a ruckman and to talk about him as one is just plain silly.We concede ruck taps to have the extra mid in there lambert could do the same job or edwards or any of our mids.
The problem with Grigg as ruck is that sides have started to work it out. Real liability especially in oppositions forward half. Against Collingwood in the second game, Grundy gave them about half a dozen gimme shots at goal late in the game, but they kept stuffing it up or kicked points. I do like him as a centre square mid though, of which he rarely played last year, but the rucking thing in my eye is finished.

Edwards shits on Grigg.

As does Lambert.

Graham smashed Sloane whilst kicking 3 goals in a gf when grigg was being a liability

I find it ludicrous that people talk about Grigg playing as a ruckman.He stands there and becomes an extra mid once the ball hits the ground in effect a ruckman in name only.

How convenient you overlook the ball is often belted 30-50 yards up-field by the opposition grigg ruckman. Or directly into an opposition midfielders hands due to Grigg being too scared to contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back