Delisted #15: Josh Green - will not be offered a contract for 2019 - 10/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really a Betts scenario. Betts had 40-50 goal seasons at Carlton and showed he was a premium small fwd, before going to Adelaide. Green was delisted by Brisbane and his best year goal wise to date was 33 goals in 2014.
Yeah I'm with you on that. Plus, Betts is a three dimensional forward. He can crumb goals, generate scores from marks on the lead, or win contested marks against his opponent one-on-one. His ability to position himself is exceptional.

Green is overly reliant on crumbing or generating shots from general play, and has never been much overhead. I would love it if he could work on contested situations, but marking on the lead more regularly is a more realistic chance of happening.

This is all part of why we should all be bloody excited about Raz. He can do it all as a forward (his contested marking has been heavily underrated). It's just a matter of whether he can convert more of his chances.

Last edited:
Not really a Betts scenario. Betts had 40-50 goal seasons at Carlton and showed he was a premium small fwd, before going to Adelaide. Green was delisted by Brisbane and his best year goal wise to date was 33 goals in 2014.
I know I know. I meant being in career best form at Essendon and not another waste of a spot on our list. Of course I'm not expecting a 70 goal season

I'm feeling pretty positive about the Josh Green pickup. I reckon he will be our 3rd best small forward next year behind Fantasia and Tippa but ahead of the likes of Long, Redman and Begley. I think he's capable of about 30 goals, particularly if he's not getting much attention or if he's matched up on guys that aren't quick enough to keep up with him. He's in good shape at the moment and opposition teams will be pressed to find 3 guys that are quick enough to keep up with our smalls.

For what its worth I reckon the next guy in line is Long who I think is less threatening in terms of kicking goals but would probably set more up. We definitely have a lot more depth and quality in the small forward position than we've had previously.

We had a free spin: Green cost nothing. Eddie Betts is one of the best small forwards that I have seen over the last three decades. It would be great to pick up someone similar but the truth is very few exist so the comparison is unfair. If Green can play a role it is a win and you can all bang on about how it was such an inspired pick up.

We had a free spin: Green cost nothing. Eddie Betts is one of the best small forwards that I have seen over the last three decades. It would be great to pick up someone similar but the truth is very few exist so the comparison is unfair. If Green can play a role it is a win and you can all bang on about how it was such an inspired pick up.

TRUTH

delist

(I'm serious)

I think the most important factor about Green is what he does for the games of Colyer, Tipingwuti and Fantasia. If Green can play as a permanent small forward and get us 35+ goals then we will be able to rotate the other 3 through wing, midfield and high half forward. I would love to have fantasia and Walla playing as permanent forward and kicking 2 or 3 a game each but I would love even more to see them around the wing and middle getting that handball receive off Watson, Heppell, Myers and co and just burning the ball into our forwards. I am not sure you can play all four of Fantasia, Walla, Colyer and Green (and I mean not sure, maybe you can) but I think we will get the most from Fantasia and Walla in particular if Green can cement his spot. Colyer is a different beast, he could easily be in front of the whole group if he gets going but he could also be last in line, will have to wait and see on that one.

WHY IS THIS NOT IN CAPS DERO

I'm feeling pretty positive about the Josh Green pickup. I reckon he will be our 3rd best small forward next year behind Fantasia and Tippa but ahead of the likes of Long, Redman and Begley. I think he's capable of about 30 goals, particularly if he's not getting much attention or if he's matched up on guys that aren't quick enough to keep up with him. He's in good shape at the moment and opposition teams will be pressed to find 3 guys that are quick enough to keep up with our smalls.

For what its worth I reckon the next guy in line is Long who I think is less threatening in terms of kicking goals but would probably set more up. We definitely have a lot more depth and quality in the small forward position than we've had previously.
Is '3rd best small forward' at any team really in any way impressive?

Is '3rd best small forward' at any team really in any way impressive?
Devon Smith is GWS' third best small forward. He's fairly impressive.

It's a Brisbane ineptitude scenario.

How many people go from Brisbane to another club and get worse? No one, they all level out at a very bare minimum and most immediately improve because even the average clubs can offer players so much more in the way of support and coaching.

I expect Green to get to serviceable, consistent goal a game small forward level, but hopefully he can exceed that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back