Delisted #15: Josh Green - will not be offered a contract for 2019 - 10/9

Remove this Banner Ad

I know DERO is in mourning, but I have a plan...

Green is gone, but, we have laverde, la verde. Italian for from green or by green..

Clearly DERO needs to take son of green under his wing as his new prodginy

Viva laverde.
Slow morning, Howie? ;)

Bloody hopeless today
Sadly, he looked like he could barely move for a lot of the game. With his foot issue he's struggling to move as it is, and the heavy underfoot conditions would have made it even worse.

I doubt he will stay around at VFL level, at least not at Essendon, although I wouldn't mind if he did I suppose. From that piece I read the other day, I suspect he may go off and do something else while playing at a more local level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.abc.net.au/life/afl-foo...ecilia-mcintosh-talk-online-bullying/11023826

Every Anzac Day around 100,000 people pack into the Melbourne Cricket Ground to watch Collingwood play Essendon.

Outside of the finals, it's the biggest AFL game of the year.

One player who won't be running out in Essendon's famous red and black guernsey is Josh Green, a small forward who retired from professional football at the end of 2018.

The experience of playing on Anzac Day, Green says, can't be put in words. He was lucky enough to play in the fabled match twice, and he'll cherish the memories for the rest of his life.

But there are many things about football he won't miss, like the scrutiny, the constant pressure to perform and the ongoing trolling and abuse he received on social media.

"I don't mean to talk about footy this way, but it feels like I'm out of jail. Honestly, it feels great. I do what I want now, I eat what I want. It's a lot better," he says.​

Josh's difficulties started with articles and commentary which focussed on his weight. He remembers one article, published while he was playing for the Brisbane Lions, that particularly affected him.

"A lot of people were talking about [my weight], and I didn't want to talk about it. I started to have self-confidence issues, and [issues with my] eating. It really rocked me for a bit," he says.

The mud stuck. For the rest of his career, he was tagged in tweets and Facebook comments — and sent direct messages on Instagram — calling him "fat" and "slow".

While at Brisbane, Josh was eventually diagnosed with severe anxiety and received treatment. It wasn't something he told many people about at the time.

Towards the end of last season, Josh knew his career was on the line. He had been struggling with injuries, particularly his feet. They were so painful he could hardly run.

11024040-1x1-xlarge.jpg

But Josh was desperate to have another season to prove himself, so in the last few games, he had cortisone injections to get on the field. When the games were over, there were moments where it was a struggle to stand up.

Josh didn't mind the injuries or playing with the pain. That's part of the game, he says. But putting up with bullying and abuse isn't.

"It doesn't say in your contract that you have to accept bullying and personal jabs at you online. It doesn't say that. We don't sign up to it," he says.

"We do sign up to copping scrutiny from the media, and that's fine. They're allowed to have their opinion. But the direct messages, and tweets and Instagrams and Facebook messages have to stop. It's not OK [anywhere else], so why's it OK in the AFL?"

respect Greendawg for coming out against this stuff - I hope we in here were not part of the problem that weighed on you!

enjoy retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back