Past Kieren Jack - retired 2019

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Although I've made a few comments in some of the threads, I think it now warrants a thread of it's own. I think he has been struggling both this year and last year and the captaincy is ill-fitting. McVeigh often cops more that his fair share of crap, but he is definitely an on-field leader and has the ability to take games by the scruff of the neck and really impact them. I can't remember Jack being the difference in a win and a loss, or putting on a inspiring display to lift the rest of the team. If we're going to continue with this co-captaincy nonsense (which I don't think we should do - McVeigh is the true captain and deserves to be the sole one), then we need to relinquish the responsibility from Jack and give it to someone else, probably Parker.

But there is one thing that frustrates me the most about Keiren Jack's game. More than his lack of leadership. More than his ability to be completely invisible. More than his lack of two-way running.

I'm sure you've noticed it too ...

KEIREN JACK DOES NOT HAVE A RIGHT FOOT.

Oscar Pistorius would have a higher chance of kicking a goal off his right foot. Hell, even Ricky Mott would have a higher chance of kicking a goal off his right foot. Yes, I went there. Ricky Mott!

Twice tonight in the first quarter, Jack had a chance to kick a goal to quell the Hawks' momentum. Twice he had a kick from 30m out directly in front that he failed to convert. Both times he was being pressured onto his right-hand side and simply refused to kick on his non-preferred foot. Instead he tried to kick dinky kicks off the outside of his foot - one that missed by a fair margin and one that would've missed, but didn't even make the distance.

The most frustrating thing is this is almost exactly what happened in the Game That Shall Not Be Named from last year. Twice, Jack had a chance to kick a goal to stem the flow and twice he was unable to kick on his right foot and instead tried to dance around his opponent onto his left. Twice, he was tackled and a goal went begging.

It's simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH for a professional footballer not to be able to kick a snap on their non-preferred foot!!!

Surely Keiren Jack is aware of this deficiency and should've been embarrassed by his efforts on that fateful day at the end of last season. Why wasn't his whole off-season dedicated to making sure he wasn't caught out by this massive flaw again? Is it simply arrogance? Are the coaches not onto this?

If I was the coach, I'd drop him to the 2s until he can prove that he can kick a goal from 30m on the run on his right foot. No ifs or buts.

Thoughts?

PS - And yes, I know that it might not have changed the end result, but missing easy goals saps the whole team's spirit and putting one of those through could've evened up that first quarter a lot.
PPS - And yes, I know there were plenty of other efforts from other players that deserve to cop some heat. Start a thread for them if you want.
PPPS - This doesn't make me "not a real" Swans fan.
PPPPS - I still have faith (probably naively) that we can win the premiership.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He is a shadow of his 2012 self and I really don't know why. He used to be one of our best kicks both in play and for goal but these days his kicking in play is sketchy at best and his kicking for goal is woeful.

AlibiMonday

I'm sorry, Dave.
Sep 21, 2006
London
AFL Club
Sydney
image.jpg

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Some players don't have an opposite side. Many left footers are like this.

This isn't really a legitimate response though. They're professional athletes and they should be able to kick on their non-dominant side. They might only use it once a season, but it has to be an option. Players at AFL level that can't are either arrogant or lazy.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
How often does Buddy kick goals off his right foot?

Agree Jacks goal kicking has lost its radar but Lloyd missed a set shot in the first as well.

Very rarely, if ever. But how many goals does he give up from not being able to get onto his left? He at least has the size/speed/skill to get back onto his left, but Kieren Jack either gives the ball away with a rubbish inside out kick or holding the ball.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I suspect Jack is so one-sided because he spent so many hours as a younger guy just getting his left foot up to scratch to be an AFL player that he just didn't spend any time on his right and it's suffered as a result.

All the reports of what Jack was like as a young player said he was tough enough, fit enough, good enough at tackling but his kicking (on his natural left) wasn't good enough so it sounded like he spent hours and hours improving that which didn't enable him to get his right side to the point of being workable.

Not excusing anything, but I think that's probably why his right is such a no-go zone for him.

Still one of our better players and miles ahead of Cunningham, Jones, Lloyd, BJack, Richards, Bird, Tippett, Nankervis, Smith etc. Start a thread bagging each of them first (you don't need to start a Tippett thread as there already is one).

Still one of our better players and miles ahead of Cunningham, Jones, Lloyd, BJack, Richards, Bird, Tippett, Nankervis, Smith etc. Start a thread bagging each of them first (you don't need to start a Tippett thread as there already is one).

Can see your point

But expectations wages responsibility are different for all those players

Wether jack deserves a roast thread or not is another question still

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

See my PPS.

Also, Jack is apparently the co-captain. With that added recognition comes added responsibly and added heat. He hasn't lived up to it in the slightest.

Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
76ers
Chuck him in the fwd line as a small fwd just to harass/chase/smash campaigners while rohan is out? i dunno we need him to step up more or maybe this is his limit now and we probs need to find a better role for him? maybe run with role like he did in the past?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Chuck him in the fwd line as a small fwd just to harass/chase/smash campaigners while rohan is out? i dunno we need him to step up more or maybe this is his limit now and we probs need to find a better role for him? maybe run with role like he did in the past?

Telling him to be a tagger again would be humiliating for him.

I love it.

Telling him to be a tagger again would be humiliating for him.

I love it.

Smearing poo on his face would be humiliating

Tagging and playing well is just expectation

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I agree it's frustrating as hell watching him waste chances a complete dud could nail on their non preferred but I'm not sure what the solution is. He's obviously still good enough to be in the side so it's just a limitation we have to accept. Maybe keep him out of the forward line once Heeney, rohan and McGlynn are all fit.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Shiv said:

That would be the best bet because he does **** all on the ball. Thing that shits me about this board is the fact that every time somebody starts a thread on this board slightly relevant or creditable to putting the acid on player or team the excuses or reasons that get trotted out in their defence is quite honestly pathetic and soft. FFS everybody should be loyal to club and team but when it is warranted lets just call a spade a spade. For what it is worth Jack is not an AFL Captains bootlace and his willingness to compete and compete hard over his whole career has blindly by some put him on a pedestal of being elite when at best he is a run of the mill footballer. As for his brother, well he needs to take a leaf out of his brothers book and start adding the competitive aspect to his game and see where that takes him because as an AFL Standard footballer he has no clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
I think a quality year prior and the romance of having NSW boys as co-captains were heavy contributors to his captaincy. Apart from a few glimpses, has never reached those heights since.

Is it actually too much to expect over the last few years he could of developed at least some sort of ability to kick on his non preferred?

Full time footy player, well paid club captain

Go and practice ffs, do extra work, develop it to some point, i dont think it is that unreasonable

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Is it actually too much to expect over the last few years he could of developed at least some sort of ability to kick on his non preferred?

Full time footy player, well paid club captain

Go and practice ffs, do extra work, develop it to some point, i dont think it is that unreasonable

Professional sportsman do that. Tennis players work on their kick serve or golfers on their chip or Steph Curry on his 3 pointers !!!! :eek: Point is repetitive practice on weakness will improve said weakness.

Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Early in the second, I have four passages of play he will be embarrassed to review this week when he watches his tape.

Back