Delisted 15. Matthew Hayball (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Howdy guys. I provided some info on Gregson last year. Matty Hayball is another Sacred Heart lad who moved from Roxby Downs (mining town 600km North of Adelaide) to Board at SH in Year 11 and Year 12. Played 1st 18 with the likes of Gregson and Burton in 2013 and 2014 and had an outstanding season in his Year 12 year. Tallish wingman with a beautiful left foot kick and took some of the biggest hangers I've seen for a kid his age. Was still an U18 player in 2015 even though he had finished school and had a good year in the West Adelade U18 without being spectacular. I think he may have been in the initial squad of around 60 for the SA U18s but didn't make the team. Probably a project player but has some special attributes that many of those higher rated SA lads who got overlooked e.g. Snelling and Haysman don't have. Give him a season in the VFL to develop his game against bigger bodies and it wouldn't surprise me to see him become a very handy AFL player. He is good mates with Gregson so that will help him settle in and no issue with homesickness because he has lived away from home for most of the last 3 years.

OK. Back from the draft. Matt Hayball played all year in West Adelaide Under 18's. Pretty quiet first half of the season, but had a breakout game and won the MVP for the competition for that week.

He got better and was promoted to Reserves for the last round. I could see huge upside in him.

He's still light and needs time to develop, but Wells would have seen a big X factor about him. He's reasonably quick, but covers the ground well and has a lovely left foot kick. He has really strong hands for such a light player and regularly takes huge marks.

West is the club of Aaron Francis and Riley Bonner. SANFL Premiers this year and we thought Snelling, Haysman and 1 or 2 others might have been drafted, but they weren't.

I'm not that surprised Matt was drafted, but give him time.

Zac Bates is also a West junior

Strangely enough, had a chance to chat with Steven Wells just for a moment tonight. Steven played for West years ago.
Thanks for the summary, redandblack. Much appreciated! :thumbsu:

Howdy guys. I provided some info on Gregson last year. Matty Hayball is another Sacred Heart lad who moved from Roxby Downs (mining town 600km North of Adelaide) to Board at SH in Year 11 and Year 12. Played 1st 18 with the likes of Gregson and Burton in 2013 and 2014 and had an outstanding season in his Year 12 year. Tallish wingman with a beautiful left foot kick and took some of the biggest hangers I've seen for a kid his age. Was still an U18 player in 2015 even though he had finished school and had a good year in the West Adelade U18 without being spectacular. I think he may have been in the initial squad of around 60 for the SA U18s but didn't make the team. Probably a project player but has some special attributes that many of those higher rated SA lads who got overlooked e.g. Snelling and Haysman don't have. Give him a season in the VFL to develop his game against bigger bodies and it wouldn't surprise me to see him become a very handy AFL player. He is good mates with Gregson so that will help him settle in and no issue with homesickness because he has lived away from home for most of the last 3 years.
and "thank you" to you, too, Down the Hill. It's great to hear more about our new draftee.

and "thank you" to you, too, Down the Hill. It's great to hear more about our new draftee.
Yeah, nice to hear good reasons for Wells looking at him, but the humour has to keep coming. Outstanding so far.
If he has a good roosting left foot and takes hangers like the one pictured, I'm onboard.
Have to say though that I thought players like Tahana, Blair and Agius may have been snapped up for their quality of skill.
Good luck Master Hayball, I truly hope you muster up a few furballs and play for the pussies AFL in due course. Could be our Jeremy Howe.

Bwwwwrrruuce is going to love this - does he give Sacred Heart a plug on Friday night games

yells out hay alot when on the ball

yeah i know that was terrible
Groan :p ;)

When he wants the ball, surely he'd yell out 'Hay ball?' :eek: :oops:
Yeah, I know, not any better :D :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played about 15 under 18s games in the SANFL though.
Round 4
Matthew Hayball (West)This week’s Macca’s Cup MVP nominee is Matthew Hayball from West Adelaide. A long-kicking left-footer from Roxby Downs, Hayball collected 21 disposals, 14 marks, six inside 50s and four goals against Central on the weekend.
Played one reserve game that is all, comes from Roxby Downs but wasn't even talked up from here as one of the likely selections to come from here
All we need to hear now is that he's from Sacred Heart ;)

Strangely enough, had a chance to chat with Steven Wells just for a moment tonight. Steven played for West years ago.
Mind blown. The greatest trick the recruiter ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. That's not the right quote... pretty much at all, but love this little snippet into the great man.

Called it!!!

Howdy guys. I provided some info on Gregson last year. Matty Hayball is another Sacred Heart lad who moved from Roxby Downs (mining town 600km North of Adelaide) to Board at SH in Year 11 and Year 12... ...He is good mates with Gregson so that will help him settle in and no issue with homesickness because he has lived away from home for most of the last 3 years.

Sounds like Greggo's got in Wellsy's ear about him. Didn't Kelly do the same regarding Matty Egan back in the day?

Sounds like Greggo's got in Wellsy's ear about him. Didn't Kelly do the same regarding Matty Egan back in the day?
As did Guthrie with Blicavs. The club's "bring your friend to work day" policy is really paying off.

As did Guthrie with Blicavs. The club's "bring your friend to work day" policy is really paying off.

And David Johnson with Pods (they are best mates who played together at Essendon and DJ was working at Geelong at the time).

Going through his statistics he averaged 2.5 contested marks per game, over a third of his total marks. As suggested, he must have some sticky hands. Also appears to have had the occasional run through the middle and even in the ruck. He has 21 hit outs to his name in one game. He must have a decent leap too.

Well GHS33, this info certainly ties back to your comments about the SA scout having close ties to Sacred Heart.

Clearly this particular scout is pretty well trusted and regarded.

Hayball was having a ciggy out the back of the Brooklyn Park Pub when he heard his name called out. His first response was, "Who put my name in the draft?"

I'm sure Wells does this to just take the piss out of the AFL. It's his way of saying, "I don't give a toss at the end of the day. We can make anybody a footballer at Geelong!"o_O

AH AH AH! LOL!....that's a masterpiece of a post!.....Having read up though, Wells with our SA associates are pretty smart and they like what they see.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back