Delisted 15. Matthew Hayball (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope Hayball chooses a good manager, to help him make the best of his career.
"DRAFTED with the last selection of the night, new Geelong rookie Matthew Hayball didn’t even have a manager before his name was read out.

The 18-year-old South Australian grew up kicking the footy in the backyard with his dad, Geoff, who played with Port Pirie and Alice Springs during his playing days."
eddc81210bcc78d1496c56eccb4e1d82

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...r/news-story/14c814af2f5c03b514c3e4ab51f7ea41

Geelong Addy's research needs a bit of work - he was picked up in the ND not rookie draft.

Might be a screening question from Wellsy:

"What do you call your evening meal?"

"Tea"

*nods approvingly*

"Dinner"

*draws a line through name*
Ha ha ha. I've spent 30 years getting that saying out of my vocabulary.
And my kids have never said or heard the term. So 'mission accomplished' :D

Can you imagine how apoplectic the AFC board will go if our #70 goes alright and their #17 does not…..

Oh the melts..

Go Catters
#17 has already caused a near on 100 page thread, first 5 pages are Chernobyl levels of melting :p

No I don't thick so, I think it was originally a Christian Brothers College. Assumption in Kilmore is another Marist College that has had a lot of AFL success.
As an alumni I can confirm, former Christian Brothers school and before that an orphanage.

Plays as that high half forward. Very good aerobically can push up the ground, brilliant over head then can kick goals. Was Westies leading Goal Kicker for their u18s this season.

Has a 1m+ veritcal leap. Was the "3rd man up" a lot of the time in the forward half, as well as having a couple of pinch hits in the ruck.

Booming left foot kick, can be inconsistent at times. Has a tidy right foot, but like most left footers likes to wheel inside onto his left.

Very raw, but with a lot of x factor and upside. Will need to put a few kgs.
I thought "Gunston" when I read that. You never know...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha ha ha. I've spent 30 years getting that saying out of my vocabulary.
And my kids have never said or heard the term. So 'mission accomplished' :D
Same but when we go down to Geelong to see family and one of them ask about tea my kids are confused. We don't drink tea they say.

I've got a good feeling about this guy when Wells finds someone no one else has heard of they usually turn out a good player. Not highly rated so less ego and they need to work harder.

I've got a good feeling about this guy when Wells finds someone no one else has heard of they usually turn out a good player. Not highly rated so less ego and they need to work harder.

There is a large pool of unknowns, there has got to be some specific reason why he was chosen as opposed to many players who are just the next guy on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a large pool of unknowns, there has got to be some specific reason why he was chosen as opposed to many players who are just the next guy on the list.
Yes agree and he'll be given plenty of time to develop in fact all the players drafted this year probably won't play afl for a while (except menegola) which is fine and what we need.
Maybe there are specific skills or attributes that he's good at or has potential in and he can just work those really hard. When you're learning something and you get good at it quickly and get to a decent level it can be easy to flatline at that level. If you want to become better you need to find ways to continue to challenge yourself on the flip side those that have to work that bit harder can end up better because they keep working and end up at a higher level.

His old man doesn't appear to have a large frame either so we may have to be quite patient with this kid. Genetics aren't going to see him stack on 10kg's over one summer.

Just send him down to Essendon for a few training sessions. That will fix him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back