Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Dal was very useful over the years with Daniel Wells' long absences. He was never a hard nut mid, whilst I was at times frustrated with his panzying around contests I did realise that his role was to keep on his feet, it's the skilless players like swallow that to go to ground.
The other thing is we are not accustomed over the last 25 years to seeing outside mids, because we have not had many with elite abilities and have been a hard ball get team to be simplistic.
On the same token Dal gets a lot more criticism then Boomer who I would argue goes missing more then Dal Santo. But escapes criticism because his a club champ. This is the same mentality we criticise the club for choosing favourites over performance yet we do the same by overlooking Boomers regular disappearance during blocks of games, particularly when we are playing s**t. His best games are when we are winning.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Dal was very useful over the years with Daniel Wells' long absences. He was never a hard nut mid, whilst I was at times frustrated with his panzying around contests I did realise that his role was to keep on his feet, it's the skilless players like swallow that to go to ground.
The other thing is we are not accustomed over the last 25 years to seeing outside mids, because we have not had many with elite abilities and have been a hard ball get team to be simplistic.
On the same token Dal gets a lot more criticism then Boomer who I would argue goes missing more then Dal Santo. But escapes criticism because his a club champ. This is the same mentality we criticise the club for choosing favourites over performance yet we do the same by overlooking Boomers regular disappearance during blocks of games, particularly when we are playing s**t. His best games are when we are winning.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Agree whole heartedly. When it was his breaking game he was a star and then did two thirds of f&*# all against the hawks.

If we're talking getting rid of players because they're older than we'd like, fair enough. However, Dal was not, in any way, part of the problem on Saturday.

On a number of occasions I seen him trailing either Isaac Smith or Brad Hill. He and Gibson were rotating between the two of them and they both cut us to pieces. In the first half he gave Hartung an acre of space to work in as well.

Dal had 23 touches touches on the weekend and only 3 of them were contested. Even Hill had more contested possessions and he is one of the most flakiest in the league. Take into account that his direct opponents had 33 and 28 disposals while he only had 2 tackles suggests his efforts weren't up to scratch.

He had a one against one situation against Lewis...........there wasn't any real acceleration into the contest from either party but he decided to pull out.

But in all honesty here, the whole side looked that way especially that 1st qtr........my read on it all its if they feel they have enough points to scrape into the eight and then they hope they're able to flick on the finals switch and play the way we all want them to play........

There is an article on the AFL site now. Dal making a big push to get another year contract. Understands North have it tough with a number of older guys

There is an article on the AFL site now. Dal making a big push to get another year contract. Understands North have it tough with a number of older guys
Is it just me or are others sick of Dal sooking it up in the media.
Edit.I understand he wants to know that the first final might be his last but he is basically putting it on the club to make a decision.

Maybe Dal the club has some important decisions to make and will let u know when They are ready. By continually going through the media he isn't doing himself any favours.

Last edited:
Is it just me or are others sick of Dal sooking it up in the media.
I understand he wants to know that the first final might be his last but he has also included other senior players in this and it really isn't a good look imo.

Maybe Dal the club has some important decisions to make and will let u know when they are ready. By sooking it up in the media he isn't doing himself any favours.
package three solid consecutive games and then lets talk contracts buddy

"I understand the club's position as well, and we are in a unique situation where there's a lot of us over that dangerous age of 30, but by saying that I feel like if you're playing good footy and you give them good evidence, you're a good shot to play."

Well you should have given that evidence consistently, not regular games of soft, awful footy......then after one good game when contracts are coming up, decide to use the media to put pressure on the club.

If he wants to continue playing we should make the call now then if that's what he wants, we have younger options to cover his position and he can either retire or try his luck elsewhere :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

58469503.jpg

"I understand the club's position as well, and we are in a unique situation where there's a lot of us over that dangerous age of 30, but by saying that I feel like if you're playing good footy and you give them good evidence, you're a good shot to play."

Well you should have given that evidence consistently, not regular games of soft, awful footy......then after one good game when contracts are coming up, decide to use the media to put pressure on the club.

If he wants to continue playing we should make the call now then if that's what he wants, we have younger options to cover his position and he can either retire or try his luck elsewhere :thumbsu:
I dont reckon its that simple as Dal clearly admits himself. What if the club are trying to trade for a big name this off season, are well down the path of discussions and until that picture is clearer will they be in a better position to make a call on players careers. To me it seems to be the case, there is a lot of cap space in those guys who are yet to be signed for 2017!

i'd have drew and spud retiring before dal.

Don't mind dal playing for 1 more year

Agree. Drew and Spud open up a number of options for the team and players to actually develop (or fail).

Scooter can play 3rd tall or on a small and we can trial a real KPD. Trial Maj as Goldy help and trial all different sorts of forward looks.

Remember it took Brad to get a back injury before we saw Jacobs tag. He was in an out of the side and playing as a defender earlier in 2015. And by finals time we played 2 tags...one inside and one outside.

Guys like Dal and Boomer can play multiple roles really and give output, so no risk there.

i'd have drew and spud retiring before dal.

Don't mind dal playing for 1 more year
Wells and Harvey are the only 2 I'd keep on for another year due to being match winners, Dal Santo is not a match winning anymore. The only other older guy you could mount a case for is Waite who played great footy for the 2nd half of last year and for almost the entire first half of this year, but it seems age has caught up to his body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back