Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

jonty12

Club Legend
May 23, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It doesn't elaborate at all, just says we're interested. Would like to see him in the Blue and White :)

Saint in demand

June 16, 2005

The Saints are hoping they can hold on to the gifted Dal Santo.
Photo: Sebastian Costanzo

Top Saint Nick Dal Santo is looking at a new offer, one that would earn him far less than he could get elsewhere, Jake Niall reports.

St Kilda's emerging gun midfielder Nick Dal Santo will go home this weekend and consider a revised contract offer to remain with the Saints.

Dal Santo, the most keenly sought uncontracted AFL player who is yet to reach agreement with his club, will return to Bendigo tomorrow and discuss with his family an improved St Kilda offer that is still expected to be $250,000 or more a season shy of what he could receive from Collingwood, Essendon or other clubs.

Dal Santo's management talked to St Kilda coach Grant Thomas on Tuesday, with the Saints offering a two-year deal.

Dal Santo and midfielder Lenny Hayes are the club's priority signings now among the many uncontracted Saints, with Hayes close to accepting a new deal - the only hold-up being the terms of the third year of the contract. Hayes is understood to be satisfied with the first two years of the proposed contract.

Dal Santo's manager, Tom Petroro of Flying Start, said yesterday that Dal Santo would discuss the offer with his parents over the weekend before deciding whether to accept the two-year offer.

"He's going to go home and consider things over the weekend," said Petroro. "He's going to go home Friday and spend some time with his mum and dad and consider things."

A decision on the St Kilda offer could be made next week.

The Age believes St Kilda is not in a position to offer Dal Santo any more than $350,000, given the club's salary-cap pressures and the pay scales established in recent contracts signed by teammates, including Nick Riewoldt and Luke Ball.

In the marketplace, where cashed-up predators Collingwood and Essendon await, industry sources suggest Dal Santo, as a 21-year-old elite midfielder in the making, could receive up to $600,000.

The Kangaroos are also interested in Dal Santo should he become available.

Petroro said the meeting with Thomas, the only AFL coach who has responsibility for contract negotiations, had been "pretty good", but the matter was now in Dal Santo's hands.

"Grant and I had a pretty good meeting. Nick is now seeing where it's at."

The two-year offer was made at Dal Santo's request, with his management unwilling to commit for a longer term given the uncertainty about the total player payments beyond 2007 - a figure that would be largely determined by the next television rights deal.

Dal Santo is the major domino for the Saints as they approach the difficult, but not insurmountable, task of recontracting key players. Fraser Gehrig, Xavier and Raphael Clarke, Hayes and Justin Koschitzke are among the other players whom Thomas is keen to re-sign.

Talks with Koschitzke's management are not as advanced as those with either Dal Santo or Hayes.

Thomas has expressed confidence in the club's capacity to retain all its required players, despite the market pressures, having fended off raids on Luke Ball and Brendon Goddard last year.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/aflnews/index.html

The Disciple

Rookie
Sep 29, 2004
HFF
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I am sure someone will know for certain but I think we would have adequate room in the cap, it's more about having the cash

The Disciple said:
I am sure someone will know for certain but I think we would have adequate room in the cap, it's more about having the cash

Spot on!
I am sure the Kangas would be looking at every uncontracted player and considering whther they are worth an offer (or they wouldn't be doing their job). Having the room in your cap is not the same as having the cash.

Would love to have Dal Santo - no debate from me!

I think we can assume that we are well managed financially. Therefore, if we can negotiate a price that is within our budget it would be great to get him. He is a fine player- skilful and creative.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It wont happen... as we would have to give too much to St Kilda to get him... I am more then happy to continue developing our own squad...

$600,000 for a midfielder... if we have that sort of cash to throw around a CHF is what I would want... :D :D

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Rooboy 96 said:
$600,000 for a midfielder... if we have that sort of cash to throw around a CHF is what I would want... :D :D

I would throw $600,000 at John Brown without thinking.

Dal Santo, no matter how talented, is a midfielder. He could add to a squad, he might even influence games consistently but Brown rips games open.

Ausgard

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
NorthBhoy said:
I would throw $600,000 at John Brown without thinking.

Dal Santo, no matter how talented, is a midfielder. He could add to a squad, he might even influence games consistently but Brown rips games open.

Spot on

that sort of money is just the Media talking

if we could come to terms at 350,000k for 3-4 season for a gun 21 year old I would be very very happy.

Just the shot in the arm for our credibility would be worth it

Lidge

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
As much as any North supporter would love to see Dal Santo playing in our colours, there'd be very few of those same supporters happy with what we'd have to give up to secure his services (high salary aside).

You'd be looking at a 1st round draft pick plus a young ruckman (which is the Saints greatest weakness) such as McIntosh.

As good as he is, I'd be very surprised if a midfielder was on top of the match commitee's shopping list. Off season recruitment IMO must focus on fixing our weaknesses (ie CHF & CHB).

Pass.

Wrath

Club Legend
North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Aug 31, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne Kangaroos
The only way l would consider Dal Santo if l was the club if it involved players switching clubs, can't really see who they would want in a direct swap for Dal Santo, but it would have to be in the ilk of the Schwass/Grant deal we did with the Swans.

Under no circumstances should the club depart with its first two round picks, we did it last year and doing it a second year would hurt us down the track big time. It's nice to be in the market for these quality guys, just have to be smart about it.

Wrath

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Honestly, I wouldn't swap Hale for Dal Santo.

I am sure many will question my sanity, but I can deal with that.

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
ArjenTheGreat said:
me neither!

What about Petrie? they can have drew......

Wouldn't blink. Love ya Drew, but........

Ausgard said:
Spot on

that sort of money is just the Media talking

if we could come to terms at 350,000k for 3-4 season for a gun 21 year old I would be very very happy.

Just the shot in the arm for our credibility would be worth it

Exactly! Just because someone says they might want $600k, it doesn't mean he expects to get it/will get. There would be a market price for a Dal Santo and it's not $600k. It's more like $350k to $400k, even with Essendon and Collingwood in there bidding for his services. And if we can set a limit (like $400k) it might up the price for one of the other clubs. Let's not get frightened off too early.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Rooboy 96 said:
It wont happen... as we would have to give too much to St Kilda to get him... I am more then happy to continue developing our own squad...

I'm seriously starting to think we're the same person!

Spot on RB96.

mav-1

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2004
my house
AFL Club
North Melbourne
gokangas said:
Spot on!
Having the room in your cap is not the same as having the cash.

Can you please explain this. I would have thought that if the club is prepared to use 100% of the cap then that means we have the cash to pay 100%.

Back