Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

Just love the way some of you judge a player on the way he looks and automatically relate it to poor form (waste line, "definition" in legs, arms etc)....i'll throw a few at you, just off the top, Byron Picket, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Dew, Kickett, fair players in their day and now.

I could say definition and body type didn't do much for Danilchenko as a player, but that would bracket me with some of you muppets

If you're claiming Ahern would have been a handy player 15-20 years ago, then you have my agreement.

My only issue with Paulie right now is that he’s playing really badly. Between him and Mason, it’s like as if they bring their own personal black holes onto the field with them and disappear into them as soon as the ball is bounced.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just love the way some of you judge a player on the way he looks and automatically relate it to poor form (waste line, "definition" in legs, arms etc)....i'll throw a few at you, just off the top, Byron Picket, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Dew, Kickett, fair players in their day and now.

I could say definition and body type didn't do much for Danilchenko as a player, but that would bracket me with some of you muppets

I'm not completely bought into the idea that he's not fit, but it's not irrelevant if someone who has spent years on an AFL list as a professional athlete yet to make their mark on the game is still presenting as borderline 'skinny fat'.

If you're claiming Ahern would have been a handy player 15-20 years ago, then you have my agreement.
Not claiming that at all, but I don't think his poor on field performances can be attributed to his build/physical appearance, after all, he's probably fitter now than when he dominated WC. His issues go way deeper in my opinion.

Compared to https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/9-luke-davies-uniacke.1182361/post-66642429 ? Not much obvious definition there either and nobody's calling LDU fat.

People store fat in certain places to different degrees. Some blokes store it in the legs, some blokes store it across the chest, there are a few lucky blokes who store it across the glutes and back.

LDU in that picture has clear vascularity in his arms. When people are at an athletic level of body fat there will generally be at least some part of them that is visibly lean, but not all parts (compared to bodybuilders who aim for even the problem areas to show great conditioning). For LDU it appears to be his arms - but we must remember that he's also a kid trying to gain playing weight. This means that he's likely been eating more than his body burns for quite some time in order to keep building muscle, so we can't expect him to be shredded.

Ahern doesn't have that anywhere, and I'm not sure at 24 years old we can blame that on bulking.

Even from eye balling them I would say that LDU is at a considerably lower BF% than Paul and I am 99.99995% confident that a dexa scan would support that.

Last edited:

Pickett was strong as, and in great physical shape at his peak.

To compare to Ahern in same sentence is simply incorrect.

Pickett was strong as, and in great physical shape at his peak.

To compare to Ahern in same sentence is simply incorrect.
With ya there, I don't remember Byron ever not looking like a machine. Even early he still looked like he was fit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 4.53.09 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 4.53.09 pm.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 78

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back