Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

ansonholt

Premiership Player
May 12, 2009
All in Sunbury
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's an interview with Mitchell where he talks about his lack of pace. He specifically mentions that he knew he was never gonna get any faster in a straight line so he spent lots of time developing the speed of his lateral movement which he could work on and no one else was working on at the time.

Pauly seems to have the ability to move in traffic in a similar way. Makes time and room for himself.

That's so great. To me it indicates a real footy brain at a young age. We've got a good one. GWS will rue letting him go for years to come.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's an interview with Mitchell where he talks about his lack of pace. He specifically mentions that he knew he was never gonna get any faster in a straight line so he spent lots of time developing the speed of his lateral movement which he could work on and no one else was working on at the time.

Pauly seems to have the ability to move in traffic in a similar way. Makes time and room for himself.
Really interesting. He called it quickness compared to speed.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
DlLkJvVUYAALlPy.jpg:large

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Transcript for those who couldn’t get the audio.

Grant: Thanks for coming on Jy!
Paul: Um, no worries
Gill: Jy, Jy you used to play for GWS yeh?
Paul: That’s right
Gill: Orhh they’re good ha? You seen a better team than them when they’re up and running? What were you thinkin’ walking out on them giants brother?
<crowd laughter>
Paul: I had a good time at the giants but it was a great move for me coming down to North Melbourne
Gill: Who do you thinks is better brother, that Josh Kelly, orhhh he’s pretty special but geeze Shields is pretty good too ha!
<crowd laughter>
Grant: Come on Gilly, Jy’s here to talk about the mighty kangas
<crowd laughter>
Gill: Yeh, yeh, ha no worries <crowd laughter>. So Jy, has it been hard um, playing again after you almost got suspended and that?
Paul: That was actually my teammate Jy Simpkin but he’s been really good sin..
Grant: Sorry to cut you off Jy been great to have you in! Now it’s over to Leila with this week’s tips

Not huge numbers yesterday, but again some very nice signs for the future. I like the way he almost always without fail, even when under severe pressure, or in receipt of a poor handpass etc, turns the ball over with his disposal, quick to assess options and skilful enough to execute as needed to deliver it. Admittedly am a big fan so probably a little biased, but hey, opinions are free :D

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Not huge numbers yesterday, but again some very nice signs for the future. I like the way he almost always without fail, even when under severe pressure, or in receipt of a poor handpass etc, turns the ball over with his disposal, quick to assess options and skilful enough to execute as needed to deliver it. Admittedly am a big fan so probably a little biased, but hey, opinions are free :D
i thought the exact same thing on Sunday. We need the ball in his hands as much as possible because he makes great decisions and because of his superb disposal.

Higgins-like..

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
Needs to get fit, but then apply that fitness to the defensive side of his game. Cant have Ahern and Higgins in the same midfield without Jacobs, becomes a bit russian roulette and we are prone to a run of goals either way.

I reckon itll come with his tank, and absolutely believe he could be a well rounded midfielder for many years with us.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Needs to get fit, but then apply that fitness to the defensive side of his game. Cant have Ahern and Higgins in the same midfield without Jacobs, becomes a bit russian roulette and we are prone to a run of goals either way.

I reckon itll come with his tank, and absolutely believe he could be a well rounded midfielder for many years with us.

You can add Cunnington to that group as well. Whenever the Ahern/Cunnington duo was in the middle they may as well have laid out a red carpet for the other side each time Goldy lost a tap.

Back