Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom line is, we have a strong VFL squad and very few injuries at the moment, touch wood, which means to force your way into the seniors a player has to smash the door down.

It’s clear Ahern isn’t at that level at the moment, understandably so. So Scott probably wanted to take the pressure off suggesting this is normal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There were a few glimpses of great evasiveness in the vfl report video. He's displayed that at training and in other praccy matches. You'd think that's a big deal in terms of his recovery.

Over preseason he hasn't been pulling up particularly well from all reports. Given his lack of fitness from time out of the game I think we will be very conservative with him. There's really no rush this year. Guys like Williams, Montford, even Walker and Murphy will be prioritised over Ahern in the first half of the season at least.

Since he started full training before Christmas he has lost 11kg. Getting leaner and stronger each week.

Recovering better each game as well.

TOG% Still being managed, but won't be long till he is back to full fitness.

Is there any chance he could mentor a few of his senior teammates?

Bon doing his best to lighten fan expectations and the subsequent pressure PA would feel as a result. Not at all unexpected IMO.
Also, I'm sure Paul is competitor and seems a pretty confident bloke. If the senior coach was saying that about me in public- I'd consider it a challenge and fire up to push harder and exceed expectation and play a few games in the 1's. Could be a good motivator.

11 kgs seems a lot to lose for a football player. Must've been carrying fair amount of baby fat.

Absolutely. Maybe cause he couldn't run at full tilt and was stuck with gym stuff. Good on the lad.

Yeah mate.

Just wanted to highlight how hard the bloke has been working since those photos circulated with him a bit thick around the edges.

He was big. That's great news though and would have to make the recovery easier and easier as well. Be great to see him in a few games before the middle of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best of the AFL
Paul Ahern
Ahern flourished in his midfield role and looked comfortable on the ball, despite his extended stint on the sidelines with a knee injury.

The midfielder's ability to distribute the ball and give surrounding players first use on many occasions was invaluable. Ahern was a shining light in otherwise contrasting conditions.

Picked seventh in the 2014 National Draft and traded from the Giants in 2018, Ahern proved crucial in several attacking sequences. This was highlighted in the third term, where he set-up co-captain Michael Close twice in a matter of minutes.

“It was my first real game in two years ... it was unbelievable,” Ahern said.

“My mindset going in was just to try and be clean.

“Obviously, the conditions were hard. I thought our midfield was good in patches, especially in that last quarter. We really stood up.”

Whoa.....slow down champ. Just said his " first real game in 2 years."

Few games under his belt like Kyron, then unleash mid year.
Yeh I agree, build him up, needs the confidence. Cant throw him straight into a match against Hawthorn! The intensity will have to be at peak level to compete with them! Keep Ahern in the two’s, build up his confidence.. I want to see him out there too but this year doesnt matter too much, maybe in the last 12 or so rounds will be a realistic approach

Whoa.....slow down champ. Just said his " first real game in 2 years."

Few games under his belt like Kyron, then unleash mid year.
Yea exactly my point, when LDU is tiring by mid year, Ahern would be an ideal replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back