Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs not a great example. Wanted to opt out a year early, Carlton held firm, let him go for two 1st rnds a year later. Worked out very well.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is like saying we paid a first round pick for Anderson. It was 10, 16 and 73 for 77 + Gibbs + future 2nd and 3rd round pick, it ended up being 2471 points vs 1147 or equivalent to pick #12 for Gibbs after Carlton won the spoon in 2018. Gibbs was 28 at the time of the trade. I don't think the Crows needed Gibbs and not really at his age. Carlton did okay out of it, however, they would have got a better return if they let him go as a free agent.

In hindsight, Paul could have been dealing with a reasonable niggle. He did only play 50% of each pre season game. Something to consider.

I would have thought, instead of Brad getting snippy with reporters the simple answer would have been "We're managing his game time". The fact that this wasn't forthcoming leads me to other conclusions. Occams Razor and all. Never underestimate human stubbornness and stupidity when it is perfectly capable of providing the right answer.

You missed the future 2nd back to the blues, making it closer to pick 7. Amazing return for a 28 year old. And Gibbs wasn't a free agent until 29.
That is like saying we paid a first round pick for Anderson. It was 10, 16 and 73 for 77 + Gibbs + future 2nd and 3rd round pick, it ended up being 2471 points vs 1147 or equivalent to pick #12 for Gibbs after Carlton won the spoon in 2018. Gibbs was 28 at the time of the trade. I don't think the Crows needed Gibbs and not really at his age. Carlton did okay out of it, however, they would have got a better return if they let him go as a free agent.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Haven't been overly fussed with his absence in the team.....the guys that are in the midfield are ahead of him in terms of runs on the board. I don't see it as a slight on Ahern.

Good to have him back in the team.
Dan, i get what you're saying, but it's pretty hard to make runs when you're always the 12th man!!

Can see him tearing Adelaide a new one this weekend , and I hope Brad is asked some seriously searching questions as to why he wasn’t played earlier . I’ve heard the crap about defending in transition and I’ve heard other off field things too . But none of it is any good reason for him to miss 3 bloody weeks .

Can see him tearing Adelaide a new one this weekend , and I hope Brad is asked some seriously searching questions as to why he wasn’t played earlier . I’ve heard the crap about defending in transition and I’ve heard other off field things too . But none of it is any good reason for him to miss 3 bloody weeks .

Brad will be covered either way. Paul underperforms and it's a "see told ya" and if he turns it on it's a "see told ya".

Scotts got his knocks but really feel ahern has been seving an internal suspension. Not buying the defensive stuff.
And if that is the case, well done on orotecting the kid, granted at the expense of anger towards brad and the club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scotts got his knocks but really feel ahern has been seving an internal suspension. Not buying the defensive stuff.
And if that is the case, well done on orotecting the kid, granted at the expense of anger towards brad and the club.

If its going to be a suspension then bloody say so.

Not buying it as the simpler more obvious answer is scotts an idiot.

That is utter rubbish. He is not serving any punishment except being coached by Scott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're giving Brad and the club credit for a hypothetical suspension that Paul may or may not have been serving?

Wouldn't an internal suspension preclude him from being emergency, and in particular game-day emergency? What happens to the suspension if someone got injured in the warm-up last week?

If he under performs it justifies Brads decision, if he performs Brad will just say it's because of the things he's been working on.
In Brad's head he can't lose on this one.

Wouldn't an internal suspension preclude him from being emergency, and in particular game-day emergency? What happens to the suspension if someone got injured in the warm-up last week?

Did forget about the game day emergency, nope take it all back then. Clubs being drivin by a loony, i just didn’t want that to be the case.

Wasn't he on all those "in the mix" media things that got released every week? Would have assumed that doesn't happen to a suspended player.

No doubt , but hopefully the people who get to ask Brad questions directly see through it and keep probing.

Ahern seeking balance in his game

fda4eb45c8251cfef2fef7c2fcca6da94a8e61be

By Daniel Cherny

April 14, 2019 — 4.39pm
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Send via Email
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size

Leave a comment

It was a question that had many North Melbourne fans stumped: Why couldn’t the struggling Kangaroos find a spot for Paul Ahern?
Having at last been recalled, the emerging midfielder explained the reasons behind his absence in the first three rounds of the season.
ca2a8c3a2f9522acac991b501efa9d3063b35994

Paul Ahern was back in the North side on Saturday night.CREDIT:AAP
“I had a bit of defence stuff that I [had] to work on,” Ahern, 22, told The Age.
“Those quick reactions, a bit of transition stuff. I’m good ball in hand. The defence stuff doesn’t come as naturally as ball in hand so I’m just trying to balance up my game.”

RELATED ARTICLE

MATCH REPORT

Brown and not out: North break through for first win of year

Add to shortlist
After overcoming two knee reconstructions, Ahern - taken by Greater Western Sydney at pick No.7 in the 2014 draft - broke through for a senior debut in round 11 last year, finishing the season with 11 senior games for the Kangaroos.
But he found himself on the outer as North lost their first three games.
Ahern said he had tried to remain upbeat.
“Obviously it was a bit disappointing. But I just needed to go back to the VFL with the right attitude. If I went back with a poor attitude and just went through the motions I wouldn’t have got a call-up. So that was my focus, go back, work on what the coaches wanted, ride it out and try to get my spot back.”

Coach Brad Scott provided plenty of support.
“Every week that I didn’t get selected he would make the effort to catch up with me and tell what I still need to work on and what I’m doing well. He was really good with that,” Ahern said.
He said he was trying to learn from fellow midfielder Trent Dumont, who Ahern noted was very good at helping his side defensively.
Ahern didn’t set the world on fire at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night, but was reasonably content having finished with 15 disposals as North ended their drought with a 12-point win over Adelaide.
“I thought I played my role,” Ahern said.
“It was good to get back out there and to top it off with a win was unbelievable. That was all my focus was, play my role.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back