Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

Had heard from a few circles that he wasn't comfortable running when he made his return to training from his first ACL.

Was pushed to do so by the GWS medical staff, because they wanted him in full pre-season training post Christmas 2016 and ended up re-injuring the knee.

He originally done the injury in late February 2016. And re-done it again during agility drills in early November. 7 months into re-hab and already doing twisting and turning despite Paul wanting to slow down his recovery. His 2nd knee injury could have been avoided if he was managed better imo. No one knows your body better than yourself.

I'm happy the club is taking a no risk approach with him, the more hamstring/glute/quad work he gets in at a steady light loading the more support and structure he will have around the knee.

He is going to be a gem when he gets his confidence up and about. Perfect modern day footballer

Back to full training in 6-8 weeks, excellent.

Will be cherry ripe for preseason and will be out of the rehab group for the first time in over 2 years.

Still reckon he might be a cheeky chance for a couple of VFL Dev games, if he flys through skills work.

Will play a fair bit of vfl/dev when ready, before playing seniors.

Wasn't exactly setting the neafl on fire before he got injured, so I'm thinking he'll take more time than expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will play a fair bit of vfl/dev when ready, before playing seniors.

Wasn't exactly setting the neafl on fire before he got injured, so I'm thinking he'll take more time than expected.
As far as I remember he was killing it and closing in on a debut before he did it

The hidden gem in the 2016 draft might be this guy, and my word we had a wonderful offseason already, just getting Simpkin, Williams and Hrovat.This guy could top it off, 12 months later. Many have forgotten about Paul Ahern, but I believe he could be anything from what I've seen. If the club burns a whole season of his salary to get him right (similar to the way Garner has been managed) the payoff could be huge.

That's pretty good for a first-year player, no?

While it's hard to compare NEAFL form to the VFL, if we had an 18-year-old kid have some of the games listed above (29d 2goals, 34d 1 goal, 31d 1 goal, 30d 1 goal) we'd be talking them up as the next Gary Ablett.

This. Plus he's done his knee, so he may never be the same as he was. Will take time in the Vfl imo.

Had heard from a few circles that he wasn't comfortable running when he made his return to training from his first ACL.

Was pushed to do so by the GWS medical staff, because they wanted him in full pre-season training post Christmas 2016 and ended up re-injuring the knee.

He originally done the injury in late February 2016. And re-done it again during agility drills in early November. 7 months into re-hab and already doing twisting and turning despite Paul wanting to slow down his recovery. His 2nd knee injury could have been avoided if he was managed better imo. No one knows your body better than yourself.

I'm happy the club is taking a no risk approach with him, the more hamstring/glute/quad work he gets in at a steady light loading the more support and structure he will have around the knee.

He is going to be a gem when he gets his confidence up and about. Perfect modern day footballer
Yeah you can definitely tell by the digs he has thrown in throughout that article.

Agreed. Can't wait to see him in action.

Obviously you're going to be a bit doughy when you can't train how you're used to, which he is, but those big round shoulders make him look like he could be a player with speed and strength for us. Been a while since we had that.

Paul Ahern (Calder Cannons)

H: 181cm W: 77kg

Midfielder/half forward

For all the knocks on Ahern’s consistency, some recruiters think he could wind up close to the best of the crop. The half-forward boasts Chris Judd-like acceleration and has a knack of sharking opportunistic goals from forward-line stoppages. Dangerous with ball in hand.

As you say the strength work and muscle building will make certain his ligaments will be fine . In fact he'll most certainly be more powerful .

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back