Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

Might sound counter intuitive but Im not sure about learning defensive skills by playing half back unless they see him in that position long term.....my preference would be to get him tagging in the midfield.....
Doesn't have the tank for tagging.

I would like them to teach Ahern to play that quarterback role where he plays loose and sets up the play . Unfortunately the midfield is overloaded due to many similar players at the club. We really need some effective ball users to bring the ball from the backline.

I think that's his role also, but can we afford that with our current limitations? No way.

He's a luxury we simply can't afford at the moment, and probably won't be able to afford for the foreseeable future. Coaches will just match him up with running players, play through them, and cut us to pieces, just like Simpson did on saturday..

I would like them to teach Ahern to play that quarterback role where he plays loose and sets up the play . Unfortunately the midfield is overloaded due to many similar players at the club. We really need some effective ball users to bring the ball from the backline.

Pretty hard to play loose with the 666 rule.

Disposal count is an awfully over rated stat, especially for defenders. People see that number first and foremost and correlate it with a good game. The ability to find the ball is an important stat, but knowing what to do with it AND actually completing your main role is arguably more important.

I missed the first quarter, well watching on my phone on a bumpy bush road ... so didn't see much of the first quarter. But by half time i was wondering what was wrong with Ahern and thinking he might be really struggling tho.

But in the second half he looked a different player with his ball use. Terrible job defending tho.

Actually wondered if they were both out there. If Higgo is still concerned about his shoulder he shouldnt be out there. Not sure what the hell is wrong with JZ but I hope it gets fixed sooner rather than later

Higgo was better last week. JZ looks exhausted or injured.

Happy to be proven wrong on this in a years time but Ahern isn't being turned into a defender. He was just clogging a hole last week.

What this can do though is force him to learn the defensive aspect of being a midfielder he is clearly lacking in.

We all know that Ahern is a very good player with ball in hand but im far more interested to see how he progresses without the ball. It will make or break his career. No club can carry a guy who can't chase, run defensively or tackle.
Yep agree. That's why he was just average on Saturday. He stays away from physical which puts pressure on his team mates. If he doesn't lift his defensive output by the end of the season, it should be see what we can get for him. He needs to keep playing the rest of the season at HB to get experience. And start studying footage like there's no tomorrow.

I reckon he's a kid who will find a way to make it work.

That's the key for me. Plenty of preconceived notions being brought to the table, but they're not being weighed against his talent as a footballer, or his character and will to succeed.

Not a natural endurance beast, but tank can be worked on. A full pre-season of putting some serious miles in his legs will definitely be of some benefit. But the talent (to learn to better defend and/or make the position his own) is there, and the potential upsides if he does so are huge.

I have no idea whether this HBF thing is intended to be a long-term or short-term venture, but it wouldn't be the first time that a player trying to reinvent himself in a new position has drawn criticism or expressions of doubt. But then to that end, I think most of us would agree that it's downright insane to be rating a player in a new role off the back of 1 whole game.

A lot of assumptions being made. I'm not sold but on a big ground where the mids were beaten badly, even Taz struggled.

Yep, some odd calls in the last few pages, particularly when juxtaposed against comments on other players that have - like Paul - only racked up a handful of AFL games (and haven't really had the chance to have a good run at it to date).

Or players with far greater experience at AFL level than Paul that, on account of our Mids getting shellacked, are having excuses made for their performance on the weekend.

Few posters coming off as being a little too invested in throwing shade on this bloke.

In fact, while we're highlighting inconsistencies and ironies, let's mention the one where some posters that are super quick to call out others for being too invested or repetitive in potting a player, seem to possess some weird blindspot when it comes to them doing exactly the same ****ing thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone who was at the game tonight, what role was Ahern playing? Seems to be coming at the ball from the back half or around the centre line, but haven't noticed him with an actual defensive matchup.

As a general note his intensity seemed better and his kicking was among the best on the field. Looked amazingly improved, while still not necessarily in his preferred spot.

For anyone who was at the game tonight, what role was Ahern playing? Seems to be coming at the ball from the back half or around the centre line, but haven't noticed him with an actual defensive matchup.

As a general note his intensity seemed better and his kicking was among the best on the field. Looked amazingly improved, while still not necessarily in his preferred spot.

Half back. Defended really well.

Fantastic tonight.... It's amazing what happens when you play your talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back