Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched his draft video last week just to see what the clay looked like originally. He has pace but perhaps the knee injury has caused a delay in developing his power.

However, looks like someone who has no idea what he is doing.

Six months after looking like our most classy mid prospect. That should concern everyone.

I disagree, he’s a see ball, get ball type of player.
Problem is he’s been coached to watched the game go by.

Then get the ******* ball.

Stop using the Brad excuse. It’s not Brad’s fault you can’t lay a tackle!

He has been pigeon holed by brad mate, if he gets the ball he’ll stuff up the structures set out..

That’s an opinion not a fact.

I disagree, he’s a see ball, get ball type of player.
Problem is he’s been coached to watched the game go by.
100% spot on.

So overcoached that he is more concerned about trying to execute what the coach wants instead of playing to his natural strengths.

Classic Brad development. Focus on a weakness at the expense of playing to your strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who has seen the huge discrepancy between our 'outside' and 'inside' midfield players, and then watches how he has played since his return, can postulate that his sitting off the contest is coming from instruction. We have one of the biggest discrepancies in the league in this regard and I don't think that that is a natural development for most players. Some are more outside than inside and vice versa, but it's rare to have FT mids so consistently and exclusively one or the other - at least not for the best the sides.

Other teams have worked it out, so I'm not going to pot a bloke for being away from the contest (and thus finding it difficult to get near enough to tackle, especially when Essendon took control from 2nd possession after the stoppage) when my reasonable guess is that this is his 'role'.

Anyone who has played knows that it's hard to lay a tackle when you're nowhere near the contest.

Anyone who has seen the huge discrepancy between our 'outside' and 'inside' midfield players, and then watches how he has played since his return, can postulate that his sitting off the contest is coming from instruction. We have one of the biggest discrepancies in the league in this regard and I don't think that that is a natural development for most players. Some are more outside than inside and vice versa, but it's rare to have FT mids so consistently and exclusively one or the other - at least not for the best the sides.

Other teams have worked it out, so I'm not going to pot a bloke for being away from the contest (and thus finding it difficult to get near enough to tackle, especially when Essendon took control from 2nd possession after the stoppage) when my reasonable guess is that this is his 'role'.

Anyone who has played knows that it's hard to lay a tackle when you're nowhere near the contest.

People have marked concern with LDU not going in hard or sitting back, and while sometimes it looks like he's decided not to go (or go to hard) it often looks to me like he's actually doing the right thing and not joining all his mates in gang rushing the ball/opponent. I really do suspect Ahern has been told to hang back more and cover exits/opposition rather than being allowed to follow his natural inclination. And as a clear non-lock I suspect that he's utterly mind*ed by the situation.

Get him in the team! Why isn’t he in the team they yelled!

What!? Only 6 disposals!?

Blame Brad! Blame Brad!

Cop out

He was one of the best JLT players in the league. He then played 2 VFL PRACTISE matches and then sat another week out while the firsts were being absolutely ******* smashed. I'm not surprised he looks out of sort.

I don't want to defend him too much, because he's looked pretty ******* average most of the time the last 2 weeks, but I can't lay all the blame at his feet.

I'm 99% sure it was Paul or LDU I saw yesterday physically stutter a couple of steps forward towards a loose ball, then pause and backtrack, 3-4 steps in to space leaving someone else to claim the ball.

Watching at the time it seemed like someone fighting instincts and instead remember to do what they'd been asked to do.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here's a thought:- let the kids be the A-team , the contested ball needs some contested bulls in the middle let Cunners and co play the secondary role....nothing is working, initiate the complete opposite to what the 2019 game plan was being spewed out preseason.

Run and gun and take the game on, .......this kick the ball around shite isnt working. Id rather making errors in taking the game on to what the club delivered to the entire football public yesterday.

There's a s**t load of posters on here, on a lot of player threads saying pretty much the same things about said players, why are they getting a game, good last year or good in their first year, now going backwards, this can't be a coincidence, we all had high hopes for LMac, he showed signs, now he's lucky to spell his own name, Ahern started with a blaze of glory, no wandering around with vertigo it seems, there's others of course, surely, this dickhead coach is messing with their heads, it's happened/happening with far too many of our list over his tenure, this twit has got to go

Last edited:
3 weeks in the VFL taught him to get 6 disposals? You’re really stretching it now.
No, 2 weeks in the VFL playing to Bards instructions gives you 6 possies and 0 confidence

I've already seen a 37 possession/22 contested possession/10 clearance game from Paul when allowed to hunt the ball.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% spot on.

So overcoached that he is more concerned about trying to execute what the coach wants instead of playing to his natural strengths.

Classic Brad development. Focus on a weakness at the expense of playing to your strengths.
He did the same to Pruess and was a whisker away from doing it to Daw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back