Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So in other words, he's a frontrunning seagull?

I wouldn't go to that extent, I am just reinforcing that he is ALL offence, which is great if your midfield is breaking even or dominating, but it's seriously detrimental if the blokes around him aren't doing the blue collar work, as we saw last week.

Based on last nights match, he was our version of Shaun Burgoyne, and head to head, he probably shaded him.

groo

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2009
geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn't go to that extent, I am just reinforcing that he is ALL offence, which is great if your midfield is breaking even or dominating, but it's seriously detrimental if the blokes around him aren't doing the blue collar work, as we saw last week.

Based on last nights match, he was our version of Shaun Burgoyne, and head to head, he probably shaded him.
ALL offence? Give me a break. He won several 1 on 2s last night. His ball hunting abilities are defence.
You and our previous coach are short sighted on how to use this bloke.
Thankfully now we won't have to go through the embarrassment of watching him tear it up at another club due to not getting opportunities.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
ALL offence? Give me a break. He won several 1 on 2s last night. His ball hunting abilities are defence.
You and our previous coach are short sighted on how to use this bloke.
Thankfully now we won't have to go through the embarrassment of watching him tear it up at another club due to not getting opportunities.

16 contested out of 53 = 30%

That leaves 70% loose mopping up & receiving.

Watching him earlier this year he had no sense of no security about his footy, yesterday he seemed to disply that confidence he has displayed TAC cup level.
didnt he play mainly as a half back there?
Watching the game one way helps him overcome his knee demons

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
He is taking a ball winning midfielders mindset to the backline.

This allows him to:

1) Find and win the footy in the backline
2) set up damaging play via foot in a contested situation out of defence
3) provide some nous around the stoppages

His clean hands, pace, long kicking and vision are an absolute weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The clean hands comment is Spot On

Possibly one of our most important deficiencies over the last few years is a skilful backline distributor By Hand And Foot

All of Jmac Lmac Ats Marley Thommo Taz Maj are extremely average handballers, let alone under pressure
Sammy W was better than all of them in that respect

Since everyone seems to be quoting themselves I have always said we Need More Skill
We have enuf tough guys, just stick him in the 22 somewhere Same with UDL

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought that was Ahern's second-best game for the club. He moved really well and had great intensity to go with the ball-winning nouse and quality disposal.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bard destroyed his confidence and Pauly lingered on that for a long time - it was just one of the many Bard decisions that was unfathomable in the last weeks of his reign.

You know when you are a good player and have what it takes - Bard unfortunately had no idea and it was to the detriment of the team and Pauly.

Shawry has rectified things - I like the half back move - I have calling for Polec to go back there for the same reasons that Pauly is there - class, poise, ball use - but Pauly has got the gig and is doing well.

I didn't see any lack of defensive pressure from him last night - and it will quickly get to the stage where he is tagged off half back given his performances over the past 2 weeks.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
It's about balance. You can afford someone to play that sort of role if the rest of the backline is strong defensively - ala Rich or Laird.

If he is consistently getting 25 touches and setting up scoring chains, it will be worth the scores he might give up more often than not.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
16 contested out of 53 = 30%

That leaves 70% loose mopping up & receiving.

Which is actually higher than the AFL average for an elite HBF'r?

I'm not sure you really understand the role and what Ahern has been playing, contested possessions are fairly meaningless in his role.

The below are the last 6 AA half back flankers and their AA years.

Ahern has a higher contested possession ratio than all of them and the rest of his stats are pretty much bang on with all the other best ones in the game, if not better.

I'm not sure what your expectations are.....

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Playing as a loose HBF is about damage with ball in hand, ala Whitfield.

I highly doubt GWS bemoan the lack of defensive accountabilty shown by him when hes creating a metric *oad of goals through his quality ball use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back