Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the level of scrutiny on Ahern laughable. He's played 17 games and apart from a few has been outstanding when you consider his short time in the game and him coming off two knee operations.. HBF, in the midfield or hiding in BBB's socks, I don't care as long as he's out there sharpening his outstanding vision and foot skills.

Let's not kid ourselves, Ahern was showing the urgency of an Italian Govt department until 2 weeks ago. He knows it too so I'm rapt he has extracted the digit but still a way to go. Good start.

It’s not as absurd as you are calling out Ahern’s failures in his first ******* game across half back.

You flat out jump the shark on occasions, in order to support your pre-existing biases.

You flat out jump the shark on occasions, in order to support your pre-existing biases.

No doubt I do, especially in match day threads, but I’ll happily admit that...

But I can also see when a player who I’m not a fan of has a good game. Eg Mcmillan on the weekend who was excellent.

But at least I can admit I have my bias unlike you.

No doubt I do, especially in match day threads, but I’ll happily admit that...

But I can also see when a player who I’m not a fan of has a good game. Eg Mcmillan on the weekend who was excellent.

But at least I can admit I have my bias unlike you.

I don't have any biases when it comes to NMFC players. This is your defence response to an honest critique of one of your "favorites"

It's why I called out Daw, Dumont and now Ahern, based upon honest analysis, and I defend MacMillan and Hrovat from utter absurdity.

I am amongst the hand full of truly balanced supporters on this board.

Last edited:
I don't have any biases when it comes to NMFC players. This is your defence response to an honest critique of one of your "favorites"

It's why I called out Daw, Dumont and now Ahern, based upon honest analysis, and I defend MacMillan and Hrovat from utter absurdity.

I am amongst that hand full of truly balanced supporters on this board.

I gave you a good argument but you chose to ignore that and try turn it all personal. This is your classic, pathetic defence response. Your arguments don’t stack up so you attack the man and not the ball.

Your biggest problem is you believe your own bullshit. Cherry picking bits and pieces of peoples posts to try big note yourself as some analytical expert yet you can’t get off your own pedestal to admit or see when your wrong.

Maj is the perfect example.

You called out him out years ago and said he would never be an AFL footballer...but when he started playing high level football as a defender you still had to pick s**t at every game he played. It’s confirmation bias and if you can’t see it you’ve got your head in the sand. Wasn’t it you that said McKay could fill his role this year and easily and match his output. How’d that work out?!

Same goes for Dumont...one of the first picked each week because of the role he plays yet you are blind to the benefits he brings to the side. For all the symbiosis junk you spout you can’t value the role he plays on consistent basis...yet on the other hand you praise Polec despite him being unaccountable and soft at stages.

So will you admit that Ahern was excellent on the weekend and one of the best players on the field? Because the fact is, he was.

Any of us put any credence in the fact it was probably JMac’s best game for club in a while also......this helps Ahern play the role he played too no?
For what it’s worth I thought Pauly actually displayed some much improved defensive traits also, but think it was the some of all parts that allowed him to play that way.

Truly balanced? I'd be running with 'truly flexible'. It's genuinely inspirational the amount of self-fellation you manage without coughing up for a rib removal.

Any of us put any credence in the fact it was probably JMac’s best game for club in a while also......this helps Ahern play the role he played too no?
For what it’s worth I thought Pauly actually displayed some much improved defensive traits also, but think it was the some of all parts that allowed him to play that way.

100%.

Mcmillan & Pittard playing their roles allowed Ahern to play a more offensive game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gave you a good argument but you chose to ignore that and try turn it all personal.

No you didn't. Your rebuttal example was idiotic, and you're generally either all in or all out when it comes to players, like most others around here.

The real world isn't that simple.

If we can get his defensive side up, that's huge. He's one of the best kicks in the team with top 3 vision.

He relies on others carrying the load for him. Quite a luxury with our current midfield speed & spread issues.

If Rhyce can get it to work over the long term, then full credit goes to him.

Playing as a loose HBF is about damage with ball in hand, ala Whitfield.

I highly doubt GWS bemoan the lack of defensive accountabilty shown by him when hes creating a metric fu**oad of goals through his quality ball use.

"Metric *load". Ha ha. What a great number.

He relies on others carrying the load for him. Quite a luxury with our current midfield speed & spread issues.

If Rhyce can get it to work over the long term, then full credit goes to him.

From what Rhyce says, he's going to give it a real crack.

Will be very interested to see how Rhyce sets up the defence in the context of the wider team next season.

As others have mentioned every chance he constructs something that looks to use Ahern coming out of defence like Sydney do Lloyd and Mills.

This kid is class personified- one touch , vision and skills to match.
Should of been used more often as well

Good starting position to build on for the future.

Not sure if it has been pointed out yet but he's poor defensively and relies on everyone else doing all the work to allow him the luxury of kick-chasing.

Modesty serves no purpose when it comes to pointing out the obvious to the ignorant.

Well on that note;

We carry Goldy and Macmillans softness, we carry plodders like Dumont, we carry brain fade extraordinaire Thommo, the snail brothers Cunners and Ziebs, the panic kicking of Atley, the never touching of the ball of Turner, the horrendous disposal of Williams, the s**t goalkicking of Garner, the stupidity of Wood, Pittards brain fades and s**t tattoos, Brown flopping and diving and body strength of giraffe calf.

Yet you think in some bizarro second world we are two mercenaries away from a flag and go out of your way ro defend absolute s**t trucks in Hrovat.

Quite extraordinary how your brain works.

I personally think Ahern's game was better than 147 of Jamie's previous games. And last week was a top 5 game of MacMillan's career yet this luxury you speak of was better defensively and with ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back