Autopsy 15 point loss to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Parker not maintaining 2014-2016 form and Heeney not becoming an elite mid have been our 2 biggest long term issues for the side, imo.

At least Mills has come on

Our prioritising of Parker over the years has hamstrung us and will continue to do so.

Our prioritising of Parker over the years has hamstrung us and will continue to do so.
I love Parker and think he is a wonderful player and leader. But his skills are as a 3rd or 4th stoppage player who can be damaging forward. When he was behind guys like JPK, Hanners and sometimes KJ and getting hit outs from Mumford and Pyke he was outstanding.

But he shouldn't be the main man in tight.

Warner, Wicks, Campbell, Juzza, COR, Tom Mc were all well down on what they need to produce I thought.

I don't think COR will fix many problems but I hope I'm wrong.

Had much less beef with Heeney, Parker and Hayward’s games tbh

We aren't that young at all on friday night we had 109 games experience(Carlton 70) and a median age of just under 25.5.

We are just a middle of the table side.
The quicker some realise the better

The young card is thrown out most weeks

Middle of the table is spot on

What is it about playing in Melbourne , and getting shafted dry by the match officials?
The 50 after the umpire seemingly missed Warner bouncing the ball , then at the end two Carlton players holding the Ball ,and Parker grabs both their Guernseys and it's a ball up, just two of many dubious calls against Sydney.
Again it comes down to not being able to maintain the pressure for a full game, that 9 goal second quarter effectively killed off any hope of a win.
While the second half Sydney dragged themselves back into the game it was all over at Half time.

A bit like cripps' holding the ball resulting in a goal when the ball was slapped out of his hands 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The quicker some realise the better

The young card is thrown out most weeks

Middle of the table is spot on

Thats what i hope we make the necessary changes to improve the side and not just be happy making the 8.

The inconsistency is just to great for a side with a age profile of ours which clearly points we still have a fair bit of work to do in cleaning the deadwood.

A bit like cripps' holding the ball resulting in a goal when the ball was slapped out of his hands 🤔
He had an eternity to get rid of it, tried to fend off and then dropped it. Grabbing the arm of someone trying to fend off is a tackle.

If the rules say that's technically not HTB then the rules are wrong.

How about Parker getting pinged HTB despite having a hand held before picking the ball up. What's prior if you're being tackled 100% of the time you have the ball?

There is some truth to saying we are young, we have a few of the oldest best 22 players in the comp that skew it

The young group driving the game plan and getting results is what we need to take the next step.

And we seem to have a very cute, complicated game plan that relies on kicking through sides. It's also been picked apart by every good coach in the AFL. So the players need to adapt. This is a part of it imo

I love Parker and think he is a wonderful player and leader. But his skills are as a 3rd or 4th stoppage player who can be damaging forward. When he was behind guys like JPK, Hanners and sometimes KJ and getting hit outs from Mumford and Pyke he was outstanding.

But he shouldn't be the main man in tight.

Wonderful leader, not player. He is up there with the worst composure and decision making in the league. Undoes everything he offers in ticker and leadership. This would not be so bad if as you say he was just a bit player. But we have essentially structured the entire midfield around him and whoever he's in there with. And we've paid for it every time we've come up against an elite midfield and he's been exposed as not good enough. He's just not the answer.

He had an eternity to get rid of it, tried to fend off and then dropped it. Grabbing the arm of someone trying to fend off is a tackle.

If the rules say that's technically not HTB then the rules are wrong.

How about Parker getting pinged HTB despite having a hand held before picking the ball up. What's prior if you're being tackled 100% of the time you have the ball?

The rule is you need to dispose of it correctly once tackled...he wasn't tackled it was slapped out...but I agree with you some howlers for both teams last night

I also think we tear it up in open play where teams lose their structure and we can move the ball rapidly

But we get more whistles against and in games than ever before letting teams keep us in the phone box and reset all the time. s**t viewing too when there's no open play flow.

Wonderful leader, not player. He is up there with the worst composure and decision making in the league. Undoes everything he offers in ticker and leadership. This would not be so bad if as you say he was just a bit player. But we have essentially structured the entire midfield around him and whoever he's in there with. And we've paid for it every time we've come up against an elite midfield and he's been exposed as not good enough. He's just not the answer.
Not a wonderful player , come on.

Guy has been A grade no doubt about it

Not a wonderful player , come on.

Guy has been A grade no doubt about it

Between 2014 and 2016 I think he was an A grader. I don't really take three years of great form that happened six years ago to be "wonderful", but everyone's different.

Luke Parker is a gun and a goal a game mid

I used to be hard on him. Now I just appreciate him

7 tackles last night

Last edited:
This is 90% crap. He's been one of the best bang for buck midfielders who can hit the scoreboard over the last ten years. Dragged us over the line countless times, last night was leading the fightback. Never shirked a contest. One guy can only do so much. Yes our midfield gets hammered regularly against the best, but we were always handicapped with Sinclair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back