Autopsy 15 point loss to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Sensible changes. As I previously said, if Hickey not 100%, then rest and bring in Amartey - he's been immense at VFL level.

Speaking of Amartey, I think he would've been a better match on de Konig last night. Ladhams and Hickey struggled with his athleticism.
Haven’t watched much VFL at all but had a squiz today and Amartey looked very good.

I think it would've looked a lot better if Ladhams showed an ounce of ability to play as a forward. Structurally it didn't feel like there was anything wrong but Ladhams' inability to even halve contests, bring it to ground, clunk a mark, anything, just made it look awful. Our smalls' inability to crumb effectively just added insult to injury also.

I don't know what Ladhams is like as a forward as I just haven't seen enough of him to know, so won't pass judgment, but last night his forward craft was truly awful and he failed to do the bare minimums that even a McLean could do, or show the athleticism that Amartey would.

I will say though that Ladhams' tackling efforts were elite, and it seemed like he knew he was stinking it up in every other aspect and was desperately trying to make amends with his defensive efforts.

Ladhams coat hangered a guy right in front of goal in a sloppy tackle.

His tackle in the middle was good but he was very clumsy last night IMO

It was Sinclair all over again. Hope he has improvement in him.

I don't care what Blues fans think or the flack I cop "complaining" about the umpires. We were totally screwed by the umpiring. Yeah we played like crap in the first half, yes we do not deserve to win the game letting the opposition score 50+ points in the quarter, but jeez, some decisions were not consistent when we had the chance to try and stem the bleeding.

Look we move on, positives can still be gained from this game.

We have lost to the better sides this season thus far which puts us in the bottom 6-10 of the league IMO.

One thing though about this game is the future of our young brigade across all facets of the ground. Logan up forward, JMAC and COR through the half back and mid along with Campbell.

Did we bottom out because of rebuild? Yeah to an extent a few years back we finished bottom 4 but there is one thing I am proud of.

We may **** the bed in a qtr and have us fans shaking our head, but at least we don't do it an entire game to then lose by 10 goals or more.

I'll continue being a member because I love this club, even though I don't see them live as much as I used to when living in Melbourne (now in Adelaide). Well coached, structured and the culture is good.

Love the community on here where these days I read more than I post, but this game, this sport and this club I know we will see success closer than those other clubs where we shared it all throughout finals a decade and mid-00s ago.

Up the Bloods.

Game of two halves. After the first I thought we were set for a smashing, but recovered well enough in the second. Some poor ball use I50 was the difference.

Can't afford to concede 9 goal quarters and expect to win the game.

On the plus side, how good's Logan McDonald. Blakey was very nice too. Mills and Parker both solid, especially in the second half where we often controlled the game.
Logan could very well be something special

Franklin had an absolute shocker but did draw in some defenders

Holy sh&t how fortunate the i50 spillages out of marking contests were for the blues in the first half!!!!

Only reason why swans are clawing back is because their fitness is superior. On pure quality, opposition midfields are killing us. We need a recruit in this area and he needs to be elite.

yeah but lloyd’s been awful (ok second half today ) blakey is inconsistent and campbell shouldn’t be in defence

but yeah ok fair point , just feel like he’s in the Bell Taylor Clarke category oh ok see what they do , move
on
Campbell improved last time in defense. Toughening up in the tackle a bit. Good kick is what we need there too.Can take a role as the small forward defender.
He just doesn't have the physical tools to impact as a mid. Not quite fast enough to be that guy burning off opponents, certainly not an impact player with strength or body size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CBAs
Warner 21
Parker 21
Heeney 14
Mills 13 (none after ht)
Papley 8
Florent 6
JPK 3 and Gulden 2

Can’t remember the last time I rewatched a loss but just had to find out how we conceded 60odd in a quarter of footy. And reading some of the assessments here made me think the couple of Panadol I took for a headache had affected my vision.
Think Q2 was more a result of everything going right for them (certainly 23-8 frees helps), and us not pulling the right strings to put the brakes on.
Thing that killed us most, other than Kernow having a blinder, was their efficiency when the ball hit the deck in their F50 and Walsh doing as he pleased in the back half.

The extremes here are funny. Parker and Mills copping flack and COR and Lloyd praised despite the bag of goals kicked by their smalls … the fact they’re not even in the picture at the time suggests something is not right.

Couple of opinions… Heeney should leave the field kicking for others better suited… couple of overly ambitious kicks were costly but he had a big impact in the centre.
Warner has very little impact in the centre if we don’t get first hands to it. Didn’t make an impression when George and co were dominating.
JMac needs a kick up the butt.
5 tackles in his past 11 games and the two he supposedly made yesterday I didn’t see on the replay. Only player that still likes to give and go tho… something that was a feature of our early season form last year.
Florent was good in his centre bounce cameos.
Love Errol but he had a forgettable night off his boot.
Blakey was good but a few blues that haven’t been mentioned here. Kick-ins we’re not much of an improvement on Lloydy imo.
Nothing from Papley out of the centre, couple of nice goals, a few fumbles and one snap that might have been better used by a support.
Paddy looking like a No.1 draft pick even in a new position… strong, good hands and composed. And MacDonald eyeing up the mantle as our spearhead up front.
Hickey and Ladhams being out-enthused by Cripps, Silvagni and De Koning and with JPK on a wing we might as well have played one short.
Parker was our best imo… scrapped hard all day with not a lot of support and was virtually error-free. Mills, it seems, has become a focal point for our oppos and the coaches will need to find a remedy for this as it is becoming a regular feature of our losses. One poor kick but a few absolute pearlers too. 2nd only to Walsh in distance covered and most tackles for us again shows how hard he worked.
Actually thought it was a great game to watch. Could feel the stress on the Blues supporters as we closed the gap… alas the euphoria at the end… feelings we can all relate to.
On to the Tiges. No doubt they’ll be up for it like everybody else (except the bombers 🤣) … life as a tall poppy 😩

CBAs
Warner 21
Parker 21
Heeney 14
Mills 13 (none after ht)
Papley 8
Florent 6
JPK 3 and Gulden 2

Can’t remember the last time I rewatched a loss but just had to find out how we conceded 60odd in a quarter of footy. And reading some of the assessments here made me think the couple of Panadol I took for a headache had affected my vision.
Think Q2 was more a result of everything going right for them (certainly 23-8 frees helps), and us not pulling the right strings to put the brakes on.
Thing that killed us most, other than Kernow having a blinder, was their efficiency when the ball hit the deck in their F50 and Walsh doing as he pleased in the back half.

The extremes here are funny. Parker and Mills copping flack and COR and Lloyd praised despite the bag of goals kicked by their smalls … the fact they’re not even in the picture at the time suggests something is not right.

Couple of opinions… Heeney should leave the field kicking for others better suited… couple of overly ambitious kicks were costly but he had a big impact in the centre.
Warner has very little impact in the centre if we don’t get first hands to it. Didn’t make an impression when George and co were dominating.
JMac needs a kick up the butt.
5 tackles in his past 11 games and the two he supposedly made yesterday I didn’t see on the replay. Only player that still likes to give and go tho… something that was a feature of our early season form last year.
Florent was good in his centre bounce cameos.
Love Errol but he had a forgettable night off his boot.
Blakey was good but a few blues that haven’t been mentioned here. Kick-ins we’re not much of an improvement on Lloydy imo.
Nothing from Papley out of the centre, couple of nice goals, a few fumbles and one snap that might have been better used by a support.
Paddy looking like a No.1 draft pick even in a new position… strong, good hands and composed. And MacDonald eyeing up the mantle as our spearhead up front.
Hickey and Ladhams being out-enthused by Cripps, Silvagni and De Koning and with JPK on a wing we might as well have played one short.
Parker was our best imo… scrapped hard all day with not a lot of support and was virtually error-free. Mills, it seems, has become a focal point for our oppos and the coaches will need to find a remedy for this as it is becoming a regular feature of our losses. One poor kick but a few absolute pearlers too. 2nd only to Walsh in distance covered and most tackles for us again shows how hard he worked.
Actually thought it was a great game to watch. Could feel the stress on the Blues supporters as we closed the gap… alas the euphoria at the end… feelings we can all relate to.
On to the Tiges. No doubt they’ll be up for it like everybody else (except the bombers 🤣) … life as a tall poppy 😩
We seem to be a one pace team. Can't match others when they bring the pressure and have to wait until their intensity drips before we get back into the game. That's why all sides, no matter where they are on the table, feel they are a chance against us and thus, generally come out firing on all cylinders.

It was just completely fkd man there were probably about 50 htb and in the backs that were called or that weren’t there and all of them were against us it was the most disgraceful s**t I’ve ever seen
I have seen worse. Come on - let’s be clear: Carlton brought the pressure in the first half. We didnt and the game got away from us. Our fitness got us back into it but we muffed a couple of golden opps in the 4th. Midfield needs to bat deeper if we want to climb the ladder. Buddy was playing for Carlton tonight too.

I have seen worse. Come on - let’s be clear: Carlton brought the pressure in the first half. We didnt and the game got away from us. Our fitness got us back into it but we muffed a couple of golden opps in the 4th. Midfield needs to bat deeper if we want to climb the ladder. Buddy was playing for Carlton tonight too.
We absorbed the 1st quarter pressure and due to straight kicking, we won the 1st
2nd quater..
We are getting beaton, The Blues have the momentum. The Umps aren't helping.
We win the hard ball, race through the corridor, deliver quickly inside 50 to a 1 on 1.. but wait, what's that, the whistle blows! again! The Ump 'didn't see' Warner bounce the ball and blatantly incorrectly gifts a free to the Blues, Warner cant believe it and cops 50m for dissent. So the umps have wrongly stopped our scoring opportunity and gifted a scoring opportunity to the Blues. Curnow receives another free and kicks a goal.

Yes Carlton bought the pressure and had momentum - a common occurrence from both teams in every game. But there was nothing we could do to change that, as when we tried, the Umps penalised us and rewarded the Blues.

Free kick count evened out in the 3rd - Swans won comfortably.
Free kick count stayed like that until halfway through the 4th - Swans won. last 10-15mins Umps awarded frees to the Blues - Umps make sure Blues win the game

As BloodRet said.. It was completely f**ked

The umpiring pissed me off more rewatching the game

Between the umpiring on the night, the Rowbottom suspension and the fapping in the commentary box all game, I'm quite sure the AFL wanted and needed us to lose this game.

Unfortunately no one did more to make us lose this game than our team.

Okay, so I reckon I watched a different game than most of you... Lol!

We won three of those quarters, but lost the second... with the free kick count at half time being 20-8 against us. For the rest of the match it was pretty even, so what the f**k happened in that quarter? We got sloppy under pressure... and gave away too many free kicks. Sure there were plenty missed (for both sides), but given the total free kick count was 53 (32-21), how many more did you want them to pay??

In the first half of the second quarter (approx. 10 mins) we gave away 9 free kicks; admittedly, 2 of them were for Warner where the umpire who called run to far was unsighted for the bounce, and then he was done for dissent. Kennedy and Ladhams were both done for high tackles, Wicks and Parker for holding the ball, McCartin for holding the man, Papley for taking the mans legs and Franklin for in the back. During this time, Carlton got one for hold the ball (Warner tackle), and one was missed for holding the man (McInerney). Of these, only Parker, Papley and Warner (#1) are forgivable. The rest were just sloppy play under pressure, and at the end of that 10 mins of play, Carlton had scored 5 goals.

That's were the game was lost, in that 10 minutes of play... everything after that was catch up. We need to clean up our tackling under pressure right across the team, and we sure as hell stop giving them away for dissent, high and in the back.
1653180616572.png

Sam Gray said he didnt understand the selection policy and if your on the outer you get zero feedback on how to improve your game.

If bell and wicks are in the team next week there is probably truth to it.
I think most realised that was true when he said it, even if it came from a guy unlikely to break into the team.
Horse has his favourites, and if you're not one, you've got VERY limited chances to change his mind. But if you are one, you get at least a dozen bad games to change his mind.

Okay, so I reckon I watched a different game than most of you... Lol!

We won three of those quarters, but lost the second... with the free kick count at half time being 20-8 against us. For the rest of the match it was pretty even, so what the f**k happened in that quarter? We got sloppy under pressure... and gave away too many free kicks. Sure there were plenty missed (for both sides), but given the total free kick count was 53 (32-21), how many more did you want them to pay??

In the first half of the second quarter (approx. 10 mins) we gave away 9 free kicks; admittedly, 2 of them were for Warner where the umpire who called run to far was unsighted for the bounce, and then he was done for dissent. Kennedy and Ladhams were both done for high tackles, Wicks and Parker for holding the ball, McCartin for holding the man, Papley for taking the mans legs and Franklin for in the back. During this time, Carlton got one for hold the ball (Warner tackle), and one was missed for holding the man (McInerney). Of these, only Parker, Papley and Warner (#1) are forgivable. The rest were just sloppy play under pressure, and at the end of that 10 mins of play, Carlton had scored 5 goals.

That's were the game was lost, in that 10 minutes of play... everything after that was catch up. We need to clean up our tackling under pressure right across the team, and we sure as hell stop giving them away for dissent, high and in the back.
View attachment 1406201

Appreciate the thoughtful analysis KS but we only won the first quarter because of Carlton's inaccuracy. They dominated that quarter everywhere except for the scoreboard. And trumpeting winning the second half against a team that has had second half fade-outs throughout the season, and were coming off a 5 day break, is hardly the triumph.

As for that second quarter, they won inside 50s 20 to 7, centre clearances 7 to 3, and contested possessions 48 to 36.

I know the midfield has a lot of our favourite players in it's midst, but it's OK to admit they sucked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back