Autopsy 15 point loss to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonderful leader, not player. He is up there with the worst composure and decision making in the league. Undoes everything he offers in ticker and leadership. This would not be so bad if as you say he was just a bit player. But we have essentially structured the entire midfield around him and whoever he's in there with. And we've paid for it every time we've come up against an elite midfield and he's been exposed as not good enough. He's just not the answer.
It's sad how this gets trotted out every time he gets beaten. He''s not playing chumps in there with Hewett, Cripps and Walsh.
Very few midfielders go through a season without getting beaten. Maybe GAJ did in his prime. Yes, he's not GAJ. Please get over it.
If Florent and Stephens had turned into, IDK Bailey Smith and Walsh, Parker might start looking a little better next to them, no?
Think you're blaming the wrong guy myself.

It's sad how this gets trotted out every time he gets beaten. He''s not playing chumps in there with Hewett, Cripps and Walsh.
Very few midfielders go through a season without getting beaten. Maybe GAJ did in his prime. Yes, he's not GAJ. Please get over it.
If Florent and Stephens had turned into, IDK Bailey Smith and Walsh, Parker might start looking a little better next to them, no?
Think you're blaming the wrong guy myself.

Okay to be fair I have bitten my tongue every week and laid off Parker for basically well over a year now, as I know the criticism of him irks people on here as he's our captain and he's a never-say-die player etc etc. So it's not like I'm trying to rip into him. I just don't rate his midfield craft at all. Mills has the same players around him and I rate his midfield craft a lot. JPK, Hewett, they had the same players around him and I rate their midfield craft a lot.

So I'll go back into my hidey hole on this one as I fully realise I'm in the minority and not really sure what else there is to say. It's just how I see it.

Happy for everyone to say I have no idea, but had a crazy thought in the 2Q when we were getting pumped at the contest of trying Rampe on the ball.

Yes, I know he's never played anywhere other than defence but I had this thought that he actually has all the attributes of a big bodied inside bull with the capacity to explode away from a contest and also provide some heat in tight.

Ok, this is a brain fart, will never happen but can someone tell me I'm not crazy?

Wonderful leader, not player. He is up there with the worst composure and decision making in the league. Undoes everything he offers in ticker and leadership. This would not be so bad if as you say he was just a bit player. But we have essentially structured the entire midfield around him and whoever he's in there with. And we've paid for it every time we've come up against an elite midfield and he's been exposed as not good enough. He's just not the answer.
The only excuse for these comments is that you are too young to know or remember, because mate, they are utter bullshit! He has more footy nous in his pinky than you could even begin to understand.

He is/was the contested footy king, calm and composed, outstanding understanding of where the game is at and what is required, and one of the greatest finals players of his generation.

That you or anyone else who has seen him play for Sydney for the last 10 years, could make comments like that give me much better understanding of your knowledge of the game... that is to say you have none.

Couple of opinions… Heeney should leave the field kicking for others better suited… couple of overly ambitious kicks were costly but he had a big impact in the centre.
Warner has very little impact in the centre if we don’t get first hands to it. Didn’t make an impression when George and co were dominating.
JMac needs a kick up the butt.
5 tackles in his past 11 games and the two he supposedly made yesterday I didn’t see on the replay. Only player that still likes to give and go tho… something that was a feature of our early season form last year.
Florent was good in his centre bounce cameos.
Love Errol but he had a forgettable night off his boot.
Blakey was good but a few blues that haven’t been mentioned here. Kick-ins we’re not much of an improvement on Lloydy imo.
Nothing from Papley out of the centre, couple of nice goals, a few fumbles and one snap that might have been better used by a support.
Paddy looking like a No.1 draft pick even in a new position… strong, good hands and composed. And MacDonald eyeing up the mantle as our spearhead up front.
Hickey and Ladhams being out-enthused by Cripps, Silvagni and De Koning and with JPK on a wing we might as well have played one short.
Parker was our best imo… scrapped hard all day with not a lot of support and was virtually error-free. Mills, it seems, has become a focal point for our oppos and the coaches will need to find a remedy for this as it is becoming a regular feature of our losses. One poor kick but a few absolute pearlers too. 2nd only to Walsh in distance covered and most tackles for us again shows how hard he worked.
Actually thought it was a great game to watch. Could feel the stress on the Blues supporters as we closed the gap… alas the euphoria at the end… feelings we can all relate to.
On to the Tiges. No doubt they’ll be up for it like everybody else (except the bombers 🤣) … life as a tall poppy 😩
I thought this the last few weeks... last week he walking behind the play, which is definitely not like him...

I wonder what the go is... carrying an injury?

That was the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever seen on an AFL field. After I yelled at him, I had to laugh.
Did he confuse Bell for Adam Goodes?
He took a long time to make that decision to kick it to Bell too. He looked right, he looked down the centre, he scanned the field again and then he kicked it to Bell with no other support players around him. It did look very silly.

The only excuse for these comments is that you are too young to know or remember, because mate, they are utter bullshit! He has more footy nous in his pinky than you could even begin to understand.

He is/was the contested footy king, calm and composed, outstanding understanding of where the game is at and what is required, and one of the greatest finals players of his generation.

That you or anyone else who has seen him play for Sydney for the last 10 years, could make comments like that give me much better understanding of your knowledge of the game... that is to say you have none.

I just can't imagine being bothered by someone's opinion enough to say these kinds of things to them.

Appreciate the thoughtful analysis KS but we only won the first quarter because of Carlton's inaccuracy. They dominated that quarter everywhere except for the scoreboard. And trumpeting winning the second half against a team that has had second half fade-outs throughout the season, and were coming off a 5 day break, is hardly the triumph.

As for that second quarter, they won inside 50s 20 to 7, centre clearances 7 to 3, and contested possessions 48 to 36.

I know the midfield has a lot of our favourite players in it's midst, but it's OK to admit they sucked.
You know what, that's just rubbish! I didn't think the mids sucked... that was what you thought. I also didn't think we won the first quarter because of Carlton's inaccuracy, that was also what you thought. And I didn't trumpet anything... perhaps that was you too? So please, keep your arrogant, demeaning and disrespectful rhetoric to yourself.

PS It's bloody amazing how the stat's trot out when you want to make a point, but the rest of the time they are just bullshit?

Okay to be fair I have bitten my tongue every week and laid off Parker for basically well over a year now, as I know the criticism of him irks people on here as he's our captain and he's a never-say-die player etc etc. So it's not like I'm trying to rip into him. I just don't rate his midfield craft at all. Mills has the same players around him and I rate his midfield craft a lot. JPK, Hewett, they had the same players around him and I rate their midfield craft a lot.

So I'll go back into my hidey hole on this one as I fully realise I'm in the minority and not really sure what else there is to say. It's just how I see it.
Before you go, when you say mid field craft, what exactly do you mean….that is a very broad brush that really doesn’t explain anything.

You know what, that's just rubbish! I didn't think the mids sucked... that was what you thought. I also didn't think we won the first quarter because of Carlton's inaccuracy, that was also what you thought. And I didn't trumpet anything... perhaps that was you too? So please, keep your arrogant, demeaning and disrespectful rhetoric to yourself.

PS It's bloody amazing how the stat's trot out when you want to make a point, but the rest of the time they are just bullshit?

You don't think the mids sucked in the second quarter when the Blues' mids doubled our centre breaks?

You don't think we won the first quarter because of Carlton's inaccuracy when they had literally double our scoring shots?

And I was responding to your stats with stats. I didn't need them, because I could see it with my own eyes, but I apparently have no idea about footy, so you wouldn't trust my view.

Before you go, when you say mid field craft, what exactly do you mean….that is a very broad brush that really doesn’t explain anything.

Sorry mate, I meant it I'm going into my hidey hole. It's a shame that you can't discuss things on a discussion board without having insults hurled at you, and just not worth it.

Sorry mate, I meant it I'm going into my hidey hole. It's a shame that you can't discuss things on a discussion board without having insults hurled at you, and just not worth it.
Insults from strangers…..they have no value brother….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand what you are saying, and mostly agree. Parker is best when he's got a bit more time and space, he laces team mates out and kicks goals. When he's rushed (in congestion cus hes a midfielder) its a hack kick to the opposition. This season is more of a pass because we don't have a battle hardened inside player.

I understand what you are saying, and mostly agree. Parker is best when he's got a bit more time and space, he laces team mates out and kicks goals. When he's rushed (in congestion cus hes a midfielder) its a hack kick to the opposition. This season is more of a pass because we don't have a battle hardened inside player.
To be fair replace the name Parker with any other name in the league and your comments would hold water.

Happy for everyone to say I have no idea, but had a crazy thought in the 2Q when we were getting pumped at the contest of trying Rampe on the ball.

Yes, I know he's never played anywhere other than defence but I had this thought that he actually has all the attributes of a big bodied inside bull with the capacity to explode away from a contest and also provide some heat in tight.

Ok, this is a brain fart, will never happen but can someone tell me I'm not crazy?
I'd love to see it. At his best, which which he's getting back closer to the last few weeks, he's very good in traffic, creates space, picks good options, long kick etc. But he's just such a good defender, went onto Curnow after McCartins nightmare on Friday and did a super job. Could see it happen if our defence becomes better and doesn't rely on him so much. Paddy Mac has been awesome, i think Cor can be really good if he gets a run at it.

I'd love to see it. At his best, which which he's getting back closer to the last few weeks, he's very good in traffic, creates space, picks good options, long kick etc. But he's just such a good defender, went onto Curnow after McCartins nightmare on Friday and did a super job. Could see it happen if our defence becomes better and doesn't rely on him so much. Paddy Mac has been awesome, i think Cor can be really good if he gets a run at it.
The only time he will leave the back six is when he leaves forever. Rampe is currently an insurance policy to guard against Tom McCartin getting double figures kicked on him by one of the games best key forwards. Yes he is still a kid and will get better but right now he clearly can’t be relied on the games best.

The only time he will leave the back six is when he leaves forever. Rampe is currently an insurance policy to guard against Tom McCartin getting double figures kicked on him by one of the games best key forwards. Yes he is still a kid and will get better but right now he clearly can’t be relied on the games best.
The actual 6 didn’t come from just him but yes was clearly beaten , hard not to be in that 2nd when the ball was walking out of the middle straight to curnow.

Besides that game he has clearly beaten his opponents.

At 22 there isn’t many better , Andrews maybe but even watering for the blues was garbage after his first year.

He will be an A grade defender IMO

The actual 6 didn’t come from just him but yes was clearly beaten , hard not to be in that 2nd when the ball was walking out of the middle straight to curnow.

Besides that game he has clearly beaten his opponents.

At 22 there isn’t many better , Andrews maybe but even watering for the blues was garbage after his first year.

He will be an A grade defender IMO
Watched him for his 2 qtrs from behind the goals at my end Punts and he was clueless. They may have won a shitload from the middle but believe me it wasn’t silk he was leading to. He has a long way to go and if he is our best defender for the games best forwards then goals are going to get kicked on him and they all go on the scoreboard. Do we have an option ? No.

Watched him for his 2 qtrs from behind the goals at my end Punts and he was clueless. They may have won a shitload from the middle but believe me it wasn’t silk he was leading to. He has a long way to go and if he is our best defender for the games best forwards then goals are going to get kicked on him and they all go on the scoreboard. Do we have an option ? No.
We better hope he is this week cause JR normally baths rampe

Rampe might have to go to Martin which is a worry to

Did you notice Carlton playing 2 spares in defense at times through the game....seem to remember it was early, maybe 2nd qtr, yet they still outnumbered us through the midfield in transition..

Did you notice Carlton playing 2 spares in defense at times through the game....seem to remember it was early, maybe 2nd qtr, yet they still outnumbered us through the midfield in transition..
Yep goes hand in hand with what i have been saying all year. Work rate is not what it needs to be. Constantly outnumbered where the ball is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back