Senior 15. Sam Docherty

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't say how he did it, just that it was an innocuous incident while training.

Was this innocuous training incident on a tramampoline?
Even if it was - its not really relevant. If his knee couldn't withstand a trampoline, it probably would have popped during training or a match.

Maybe it was a different injury, but I recall Bunsen using a small trampoline in a video where he was talking about ACL recovery.

The thing that I think needs to be managed most with Doc is his own desire to set standards for the group. Can't help thinking this was his downfall last time - going too hard too early! (pretty sure the re-injury occurred during a routine drill on one of the outside ovals while PP was being resurfaced? And wasn't it the first session back after Christmas?) Ease into it Doc! (ffs)

Those previous 2 injuries have resulted in a chilling effect in my own mind; in that I'm too apprehensive to adopt an overly positive outlook, and likewise reluctant to consider the possibility of anything negative. Am in a holding pattern; at least until the end of preseason.

Last edited:
Even if it was - its not really relevant. If his knee couldn't withstand a trampoline, it probably would have popped during training or a match.

Maybe it was a different injury, but I recall Bunsen using a small trampoline in a video where he was talking about ACL recovery.
It is relevant because it's the question I asked :s

I made no point about the use of the trampoline in practical recovery terms, only in terms of if that's how he actually did it or not, because I don't know if that is how he did it or not.

I'm fairly certain he did it outside Princes Park and the turf wasnt right? They were doing something to the turf inside the stadium or an extension or something so we're training outside? I seem to recall blowing up at allowing them to train on a dodgy surface. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm fairly certain he did it outside Princes Park and the turf wasnt right? They were doing something to the turf inside the stadium or an extension or something so we're training outside? I seem to recall blowing up at allowing them to train on a dodgy surface. Maybe I'm wrong.
Sorry you are looking for reasons that are just not there. About 10% of ACL grafts fail it is just the way it goes. Doc did everything right but s**t happens. I used regularly kick the footy on the oval outside of PP and the surface is perfect.

That was my first thought at the time too but I am sure that it was stated a couple of times by the club that there was no issue at all with the surface they were training on.

I was pretty sure it was Russells new training technique using trampolines, in the same exercise Cripps and Setterfield all jarred there knees and all the players were sent home immediately.

Who would be more excited to see #19 than #15????

Betts will be more like the betts we had before he left than when he was at his best at Adelaide - stats will mirror 2013

I just hope Doc gets through week to week - not even thinking about rn1 yet
what do they do about #6?

About time this thread got some more action. How much lift does Doc give us when he plays? Looks back to his AA best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reads the game so well. V *, whenever someone looked under the pump down back, Doc would be there. Positioning himself for a release handball or kick. Making a beeline for a loose ball or helping out at a contest.

And decent kicks out of danger where we'd maintain possession. Does so much for us to set up a forward 50 entry.

Let alone all the backline setting up and creating a defensive unit.

I :blueheart: Doc

I couldn't imagine ever seeing him glide over the ground again - and if anything he is moving better than he did before his injuries - absolutely amazing to behold. First couple of games evidenced some rustiness compared to his previous levels- latest game saw him back to A levels of performance in every area of his game.

I think his off field talking is now matched or exceeded bu his on field presence - we are very fortunate to have him back - described by the opposition as a 'floater' - long may he float - forces the opposition to pay the cost of carrying an extra in their defensive structure - which is a huge win for us - in the context of having 4 genuine marking beasts in Casboult/Mckay/McGovern and Charlie and some genuine flash in Martin/Cuningham/Betts up front.

Docherty for us is the Shiel/Coniglio recruit for the backline we got for nothing is the way I see it - just better than both.

Docherty has exceeded my expectations so far this season. He could be excused for lesser performances. The role of half back general and organiser is perfect for him. For those asking for him to spend time in the middle I think it would not be worth it just yet. Let him continue to build confidence and continuity both mentally and physically. We need to minimise the risk of an injury if he is forced to crash and bash around the contest in the middle. Just my thoughts.

Bring this guy in sometime this year and get him to be taught by the master:

29. Cameron Polson
When we won the footy or turned the footy over, Cam was dynamic for us. Some of his explosive efforts off the half-back line were electric and he used the ball really well, which set us up going forward with ball in hand. Defensively he was pretty good too, so he had a really good all-round game.

;)

lloyd last night on footy crucified suggested * lost the game at selection by allowing an aa back to run around loose sweeping up their attacks, cutting them off everywhere and attacking as he pleased - I love the idea that doc actually needs tagging now.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back