Senior 15. Sam Docherty

15 docherty.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to Carlton :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

1396062_10151939008748480_1508552626_n.jpg

The Carlton Football Club is pleased to announce it has secured talented defender Sam Docherty from Brisbane in exchange for a second round draft pick, No.33 overall.

“I can’t wait to put the jumper on, it’s a dream come true,” Docherty said.

“Obviously growing up (barracking) for them and now getting here – I can’t think of anything better.”
Docherty finally a Blue

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Blues excited by Sam
"He's (Docherty's) a round one draft pick and a quality player so we'd expect him to be in our top 22, probably coming off that half-back wing area," McKay said.

"I think his strength is his ball delivery by foot, so I'm looking forward to seeing that in action. He's a pretty good athlete too, so he's quite a footballer."
Blues excited by Sam

Sep 27, 2004
AFL Club
Carlton
In their own words: Q&A's with AFL draft prospects
Which player in the AFL do you most admire, and why?

Marc Murphy, just for the way he goes about his football. He has been following in the footsteps of Chris Judd for a while and he has really taken it upon himself to step up to the plate. I really like the way he has gone about that.

What are your top few strengths as a player?

Kicking, game smarts and decision making. I try to take the game on as well and pierce the zone out of defence.
In their own words: Q&A's with AFL draft prospects

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Watched the replay of the Carlton v Brisbane game on Fox Footy tonight. The first thing Docherty will need to work on is his pace. Was unable to keep up with Lucas who, though being reasonably quick, is nowhere near the quickest player on our list.

Is definitely a good user of the ball, but not a real long kick. Seems to have some footy smarts though. I can see him becoming a very important part of our back 6.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Watched the replay of the Carlton v Brisbane game on Fox Footy tonight. The first thing Docherty will need to work on is his pace. Was unable to keep up with Lucas who, though being reasonably quick, is nowhere near the quickest player on our list.

Is definitely a good user of the ball, but not a real long kick. Seems to have some footy smarts though. I can see him becoming a very important part of our back 6.

Watched it too. And whilst some said a couple of times that Lucas kicked 3 on him, he only kicked 1 when Doc was his direct opponent. 1 was on Patful and the oter he was standing in the square by himself.

Was his 3rd game ever. So not going to read too much into it.

It is interesting to note that Swann said on SEN earlier this week that Doc wanted to come home last year but given he was still contracted it was too hard to work a trade. Good to know we finally got the kid home. Being happy where he is will hopefully help his development.

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Funny, i watched the game too and took special interest in Docherty.
Isnt as big as as i thought and didnt do anything of note. I think he kicked out from goal a few times.
He is home now so once he is settled hopefully he becomes the player we are all wishing for.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Funny, i watched the game too and took special interest in Docherty.
Isnt as big as as i thought and didnt do anything of note. I think he kicked out from goal a few times.
He is home now so once he is settled hopefully he becomes the player we are all wishing for.
His kick to set up the first goal of the game was clever & as I stated, he used the ball well however I agree with your overall summation that he didn't do anything of note during the game (other than the aforementioned kick). I guess in his defence, the Lions were under siege for much of the game & the defensive setup Voss had in place wouldn't have made it easy for any youngster still learning the caper.

Sep 27, 2004
AFL Club
Carlton
Mick key in Docherty's move
"Obviously I've played a lot of defence in recent years and I was drafted as a defender, but I think I'm more suited to the 50-50 wing, half-back role.

"As a young defender a lot of your attacking game is thrown away because most players need to work on the defensive side of their game, which is what I need to spend time on. The wing just gives you that little bit of a release.

"Hopefully in the future if I can get my inside game going I might be able to flick through the midfield as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

"Right now I just want to get out there."

dhwa.jpg

1ijs.jpg
Mick key in Docherty's move

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Won't be in the 2s for long. Get him match garden end and he should be pushing for a spot.

Back