Past Sam Gray - delisted 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

slUpRUMJ.jpg

Sam Gray

Player Profile

Former Port Adelaide small forward Sam Gray landed at the Sydney Swans via the 2019 delisted free-agency period. The South Australian booted 83 goals in 96 AFL games after arriving at the Power as a rookie in 2013, his highest return a six-goal haul against the Western Bulldogs in Round 23, 2017. Gray will compete with names like Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Wicks for a spot in the Swans’ forward line in 2020.

Sam Gray

DOB: 01 February 1992
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Port Adelaide

Last edited:
One of only four players on our list to have gotten 10+ clearances in a game before.
Played starting mid late in Port's 2015 and 2016 seasons and found plenty of the ball (5 games with 30+ disposals)

Expect that he'd spent some big minutes in our midfield. Would be more fruitful than running Papley through there.

Games with 10 or more clearances (career):

Josh Kennedy: 36 in 233 (2010 - current)
Luke Parker: 11 in 195
George Hewett: 4 in 93
Sam Gray: 1 in 96
JPK running at approx 15% is just crazy...

Hope he gets a crack in there as I've seen a fair bit of him and think he's a much better mid than a forward.

Gee that's good from jpk
One of only four players on our list to have gotten 10+ clearances in a game before.
Played starting mid late in Port's 2015 and 2016 seasons and found plenty of the ball (5 games with 30+ disposals)

Expect that he'd spent some big minutes in our midfield. Would be more fruitful than running Papley through there.

Games with 10 or more clearances (career):

Josh Kennedy: 36 in 233 (2010 - current)
Luke Parker: 11 in 195
George Hewett: 4 in 93
Sam Gray: 1 in 96

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just my opinion but I reckon we have recruited him to play mid predominantly allowing maybe a Heeney to spend more minutes forward where he has more impact.

Gives us depth through the middle
Tend to agree. Maybe tried to do the same thing last year with Clarke and now trying again.

If either can plug up an inside role and let others off we've done well.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My gut tells me this is a Ben McGlynn type pick, he’s no Ben McGlynn though! I’ve never found him to be impressive but I note that he’s a solid best 22 player.

If he is 80% if McGlynn it’s a great signing.

Their career stats are very similar.

Name​
Team​
Forward​
Position​
Forward​
96​
Career Games​
Port Adelaide​
Origin​
Box Hill Hawks​
February 1, 1992​
Date of Birth​
August 6, 1985​
27yr 9mth​
Age​
34yr 3mth​
176cm
Height​
172cm​
78kg
Weight​
76kg​
Last Drafted In​
Round 2, Pick #29​
Last Draft Position​
Round 5, Pick #55​
Last Drafted By​
Career​
Stats for Season​
Career​
96​
Games​
9.3​
Kicks​
Handballs​
6.0​
Disposals​
16.1​
4.0​
Marks​
0.9​
Goals​
0.8​
Behinds​
0.8​
3.5​
Tackles​
0​
Hitouts​
0​
1.0​
Frees For​
0.6​
Frees Against​

Their career stats are very similar.

Name​
Team​
Forward​
Position​
Forward​
96​
Career Games​
Port Adelaide​
Origin​
Box Hill Hawks​
February 1, 1992​
Date of Birth​
August 6, 1985​
27yr 9mth​
Age​
34yr 3mth​
176cm
Height​
172cm​
78kg
Weight​
76kg​
Last Drafted In​
Round 2, Pick #29​
Last Draft Position​
Round 5, Pick #55​
Last Drafted By​
Career​
Stats for Season​
Career​
96​
Games​
9.3​
Kicks​
Handballs​
6.0​
Disposals​
16.1​
4.0​
Marks​
0.9​
Goals​
0.8​
Behinds​
0.8​
3.5​
Tackles​
0​
Hitouts​
0​
1.0​
Frees For​
0.6​
Frees Against​

One of the things I think everyone liked about Ben is that he was a real hard goer. Remains to be seen with Sam, but we can hope.

Mglynn had much better acceleration off the mark and aggression from what I have seen. Stats don't really show that. They both could shank the ball but I would rather Mglynn kicking inside 50 than Gray.

I heard Gray was a great kick, havent seen him play much though.

I wouldn't call him a great kick. Dustin Martin is a great kick. Lance Franklin is a great kick.

Gray is solid though and he'll be more than useful in our side I think. I'm excited to see what he brings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't call him a great kick. Dustin Martin is a great kick. Lance Franklin is a great kick.

Gray is solid though and he'll be more than useful in our side I think. I'm excited to see what he brings.
Sorry, yeah I used the word great loosely there. Ive heard positive things about his field kicking from Port fans.

One of the things I think everyone liked about Ben is that he was a real hard goer. Remains to be seen with Sam, but we can hope.

I've watched him a fair bit, energy is his biggest asset I think. He'll buzz around and try to make things happen and sometimes stuff up.

ex-Power forward Sam Gray will run out in the number 15 worn by 2012 premiership midfielder Kieren Jack

Taylor is my pick of the 3. Really hope he becomes a solid contributor
I feel like all 3 have filled a gap in our list from an age & experience level.
I don't think any are turn the game on it's head match winners though, still think we've got a way to go in completing a list that can win a premiership.

Long story short, I think your description of solid contributors is the best we can hope for

Taylor is my pick of the 3. Really hope he becomes a solid contributor

Let’s hope they all do

I like giving him a go and how we got him , if it doesn’t work out it was a good risk to take regardless

Let’s hope they all do

I like giving him a go and how we got him , if it doesn’t work out it was a good risk to take regardless

At least Taylor has potential I'd rather take gambles on these types than get another 20 Ryan Clarke's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back