Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on everyone have some respect!

Ticky:
As per previous mod comments. Wicks wasn't stood down, he needed a break and they give it to him to help get himself sorted.

It’s probably something to do with Isaac Heeney’s girlfriend, though I thought Fox would be the one in trouble. During BT’s segment in the rooms following the Collingwood win, BT went to Fox and asked who the blonde girl standing around was. Fox said “this is my girlfriend” and the girl visibly flinched and started loudly saying “nooo no no”. Realising he made a fool of himself, Fox then awkwardly said she’s Heeney’s girlfriend and looked seriously embarrassed. BT looked a bit confused and asked “were you seriously trying to steal Heeney’s girlfriend just then?”, to which the obviously mortified Fox replied with a deadpan “no comment”. Then he missed the next week…

It was awwwkward. Maybe that has something to do with it somehow.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the club had nothing to do with this getting out

I'm under the impression they didn't want it out

I have no doubt Edmund was formally briefed by the Club to quell drugs speculation, given the events of last week involving another Club.

I am sure the Club was forced to do the briefing.

Come on everyone have some respect!

Ticky:
As per previous mod comments. Wicks wasn't stood down, he needed a break and they give it to him to help get himself sorted.

Except it sounds like he was “stood down”:

“His omission from the Round 3 match was decided upon by club officials to prevent further angst in the dressing rooms while emotions were high.”

Be nice to no the other player hey?

Gulden seemed off

Logan had a black eye and is out of contract like gulden. Maybe they don’t wanna spot light the more valuable player.

Don’t bullshit and say women can’t destroy friendships , especially in a work place.
Logans black eye was from a cut in last week's game vs bombers. It has nothing to do with this situation.

Well we had the Choose Roos campaign.

I am here to officially launch the Pick Wicks campaign. Please hit like if you agree or do a bedders if you don’t.

Do the bedders? the official dance of the swans bigfooty board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when is Sam going to be back? Imagine letting the ball waltz out against the Eagles 😂

We absolutely suck with our fwd pressure

I'll admit I may be slightly biased as I've never been a huge fan, but where did the narrative that Wicks is the key to our forward pressure come from?

Ranks behind board whipping boy Hayward in tackles, i50 tackles, and pressure acts.

I'll admit I may be slightly biased as I've never been a huge fan, but where did the narrative that Wicks is the key to our forward pressure come from?

Ranks behind board whipping boy Hayward in tackles, i50 tackles, and pressure acts.
The difference between Wayward’s best and worse is too stark. Wicks is more consistent and a far better tackler. Wayward missed a few yesterday. He’s a better mark but I think has far fewer effective pressure acts.

Wicks is easily best 22. Just get him in asap.

I like Sam a lot and want to see him back in, but I don't think his absence is the reason behind our forward issues, he was after all, only the sub in our best games so far this season.
I think we need to drop or get more from Amartey, feel we are carrying him at present.

I'd be interested in the stats you're using. If you look at years where Wicks games were all full games, no sub appearances e.g. 2021, 2023, then you're incorrect. Hayward never has to worry about being dropped or being sub.

We saw in 2021 and glimpses again in 2023 of Wicks at his best, offering far more pressure than Hayward and our best pressure forward (along with Heeney).

Well we had the Choose Roos campaign.

I am here to officially launch the Pick Wicks campaign. Please hit like if you agree or do a bedders if you don’t.
This is a win for the true believers.

Just like Roos, the fans on big footy have voted and we finally have our man back.

A win for people power and grassroots movements worldwide.

I like fast players.

This is a win for the true believers.

Just like Roos, the fans on big footy have voted and we finally have our man back.

A win for people power and grassroots movements worldwide.

I like fast players.
I think Sam gets judged harshly, and certainly doesn’t get kudos he deserves. Paps goal of the week last year against (?) GWS where there was a 1-2 back and forth with Wicks along the wing was as much Wicks goal as Paps. Wicks took an amazing mark in the goal square one time, almost jack-knifed himself in the air, and didn’t even get a mention for Swans oval of the week. So much of what he does is unsung, and not collecting stats.
And the reporting of the most recent issue, in which it was very clear that Wicks was the wronged party, has been talked about on mainstream media as if he has somehow offended.
We have absolutely missed him the last few weeks and he is integral to our forward line.
If he’d been a higher draft pick his feistiness would be viewed less harshly (although I do think he needs to keep working on not pushing it too far).

I think Sam gets judged harshly, and certainly doesn’t get kudos he deserves. Paps goal of the week last year against (?) GWS where there was a 1-2 back and forth with Wicks along the wing was as much Wicks goal as Paps. Wicks took an amazing mark in the goal square one time, almost jack-knifed himself in the air, and didn’t even get a mention for Swans oval of the week. So much of what he does is unsung, and not collecting stats.
And the reporting of the most recent issue, in which it was very clear that Wicks was the wronged party, has been talked about on mainstream media as if he has somehow offended.
We have absolutely missed him the last few weeks and he is integral to our forward line.
If he’d been a higher draft pick his feistiness would be viewed less harshly (although I do think he needs to keep working on not pushing it too far).
Wicks is a bit of a strange one. Because he has the tools. But hasn't quite developed into a complete player YET. But also tends to be a bit underrated at times.

If he starts putting together consistent performances in over the course of the season I think he'll start appearing on people's radars.

He's taken steps this year. But then had that recent drama overshadow his form. Maybe 2025 will be his breakout year. Or maybe it's yet to come in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back