Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it mostly looked like a younger body still not quite able to grind out a full afl season yet. Was a lot fresher beginning of the year (and end of previous year) and was a very reliable shot for goal during those periods (eye test only, haven't looked at stats).

Yep. I think the kid put in so much work he was knackered on set shots.

Really hope ralphyboy (sam’s dad) hasn’t been reading the game day / autopsy threads too much. We all get very passionate in the heat of the moment but don’t mean any harm. (Umpires excepted)

I see two big things that seem to limit Wicks' influence on games. One is hard to fix and the other is easier to fix imo; 1) his kicking skills - he's just not a smooth-moving, crisp user of the ball with his kicking style being kinda robotic/clunky; he'll be at the club a long time I believe but I do think his kicking limits him and it'll be hard to fix; 2) the mental side of his game; you can see how frustrated he gets on the field when things aren't going how he wants them to (in reserves or in seniors for that matter); he seems to get very angry and or down on himself when he's not playing the way he wants to; I think this part is easier to fix and will come the longer he's a professional, he'll work out how to have a shorter memory and move to the next contest without that hanging over him

I see two big things that seem to limit Wicks' influence on games. One is hard to fix and the other is easier to fix imo; 1) his kicking skills - he's just not a smooth-moving, crisp user of the ball with his kicking style being kinda robotic/clunky; he'll be at the club a long time I believe but I do think his kicking limits him and it'll be hard to fix; 2) the mental side of his game; you can see how frustrated he gets on the field when things aren't going how he wants them to (in reserves or in seniors for that matter); he seems to get very angry and or down on himself when he's not playing the way he wants to; I think this part is easier to fix and will come the longer he's a professional, he'll work out how to have a shorter memory and move to the next contest without that hanging over him

I really hope he gets a crack as a small defender.

Really hope ralphyboy (sam’s dad) hasn’t been reading the game day / autopsy threads too much. We all get very passionate in the heat of the moment but don’t mean any harm. (Umpires excepted)
Thanks for your thoughts! I think the whole point of being a supporter is to be passionate, have opinions and share them! The swans in particular seem to bring lots of joy to lots of people, and for some they find it really interesting to get into the nitty gritty of the coaching and the players. I think this is the best thing about our code.

When a player faces adversity, whether it's injury, losing confidence and form, or doing something stupid, the player and the families really suffer. At these times no one looks at social media because there is a cohort of fans that will express themselves in pretty nasty ways, and the things they say can be really hurtful.

My Sam is a young player who fills one of the hardest and least spectacular roles in the game. His role in NFL terms is to be the defensive linesman who tries to sack the quarterback.

When Sam is at his best he is one of the best couple of players in the league at shutting down opposition defensive rebound, and creating turnovers that lead to goals. He is also a very clever user of the ball which is an added bonus. This is important and very valuable work if a side wants to win a premiership. For example Richmond's success was built on exactly this.

Like many young players his best doesn't always show up. Now he is in the twos to get it back. I went to his game on the weekend and it was really obvious that he was back focusing on the things the side needs, including bruising forward pressure. What is really great is that he was enjoying himself. Playing out of form in the seniors is no fun and pretty demoralising.

In summary posters should say what they think. When things are not going well for a player he is already down enough without reading sprays on social media and so he will just avoid it anyway!

Thanks for your thoughts! I think the whole point of being a supporter is to be passionate, have opinions and share them! The swans in particular seem to bring lots of joy to lots of people, and for some they find it really interesting to get into the nitty gritty of the coaching and the players. I think this is the best thing about our code.

When a player faces adversity, whether it's injury, losing confidence and form, or doing something stupid, the player and the families really suffer. At these times no one looks at social media because there is a cohort of fans that will express themselves in pretty nasty ways, and the things they say can be really hurtful.

My Sam is a young player who fills one of the hardest and least spectacular roles in the game. His role in NFL terms is to be the defensive linesman who tries to sack the quarterback.

When Sam is at his best he is one of the best couple of players in the league at shutting down opposition defensive rebound, and creating turnovers that lead to goals. He is also a very clever user of the ball which is an added bonus. This is important and very valuable work if a side wants to win a premiership. For example Richmond's success was built on exactly this.

Like many young players his best doesn't always show up. Now he is in the twos to get it back. I went to his game on the weekend and it was really obvious that he was back focusing on the things the side needs, including bruising forward pressure. What is really great is that he was enjoying himself. Playing out of form in the seniors is no fun and pretty demoralising.

In summary posters should say what they think. When things are not going well for a player he is already down enough without reading sprays on social media and so he will just avoid it anyway!
As much as there is criticism on this board there is also plenty of love and support. You are dead right though to avoid it and concentrate (as Horse says) on the things you can control.
Great post by Gimmeafree to remind us of the humanity of the people we talk about.

Gutsy to come on here , always have supported him , but have expressed that i've been disappointed with him at times this year . Hoping for his , the club and family that he comes good and back to where he was .
Makes it hard when 2 of the 6 forwards are not going well .

When I think of Sam Wicks I think of that game in early 2021 at the MCG against the Tigers.
He was on fire & really arrived on that day also hitting the scoreboard. His two way running was elite.
That doesn't just disappear. Yes it's important that players don't get left floundering in the seniors when they can rebuild their confidence at a lower level & work their way back up. It's happened to a few of our much loved premiership players who came back & cemented themselves into the side the first picked week in week out. Ted Richards is a classic example. Even Malceski had such a drop in form from memory & we know how that finished up.
Wicksy will be important going forward & we all know his best is best 22 week in week out. We need him back to his best.

When I think of Sam Wicks I think of that game in early 2021 at the MCG against the Tigers.
He was on fire & really arrived on that day also hitting the scoreboard. His two way running was elite.
That doesn't just disappear. Yes it's important that players don't get left floundering in the seniors when they can rebuild their confidence at a lower level & work their way back up. It's happened to a few of our much loved premiership players who came back & cemented themselves into the side the first picked week in week out. Ted Richards is a classic example. Even Malceski had such a drop in form from memory & we know how that finished up.
Wicksy will be important going forward & we all know his best is best 22 week in week out. We need him back to his best.
People need to stop hitting scoreboards and executing everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a blue tick rumour but the source is usually pretty good

I’m a Wicks fan but if the Suns want him to replace Rankine their recruiting is worse than I thought

I’m a Wicks fan but if the Suns want him to replace Rankine their recruiting is worse than I thought
Much more of a pressure forward and goal sneak than classy shot for goal

yes, i agree ... i like wicks, think he has a lot going for him, just needs to mature a bit
he looked good last season
He looked good first half of last season, not so much second half.

Regardless, I also rate him and I believe he can play a role for us - plus he is still only young. However, his problem right now is that his current role is limited and others can play it equally well, if not better.

It’s a problem faced many times by clubs with young fringe players - hold on to them in the hope they continue to develop and add more strings to the bow, or let them look for an opportunity elsewhere. Plus, frankly, it’s not as though he has a unique skills set that would be hard to replace.

Can't begrudge him if he asks to be traded. He's right on the precipice of our best 22, but hasn't quite been able to cement his spot in the 22. I'm sure with a bit more development he'll be able to stake his claim, but if he's being offered greater opportunity then not much we can do. Hope he back himself a la Stephens.

The thing that I don't get is how the lions have been able to finish top 4 for the last 5 years, add daniher last year and be 1st in line for dunkley while losing little, while the swans achieve success and immediately the cultures start circling. Geelong similar (but they have an open cap So apples n oranges there).

I hope Wicks stays. He was brilliant in 2021. Wouldn't be the first player to have a down season.

For a small forward he has a number of gears. Can play as a leading forward, pressure forward or play through the middle and on the wing.

Wicks problem, and really it is his main problem is that he misses goals he should kick. If he took more of his opportunities he would comfortably average 1.5 to 2 goals a game.

He gets into positions to score but he keeps spraying them. The rest of his game is really good.

He looked good first half of last season, not so much second half.

Regardless, I also rate him and I believe he can play a role for us - plus he is still only young. However, his problem right now is that his current role is limited and others can play it equally well, if not better.

It’s a problem faced many times by clubs with young fringe players - hold on to them in the hope they continue to develop and add more strings to the bow, or let them look for an opportunity elsewhere. Plus, frankly, it’s not as though he has a unique skills set that would be hard to replace.
A big problem for him is that his main role is not much used in reserves. Ronke can play more as an attacking small forward rather than defensive so will look better but has Paps in front of him.
I hope Wicks stays but getting games might be a matter of luck.

I’m calling it. 2023 he’ll be back with a vengeance. Hard running, strong player, good physically, just the type we need for next year. Should he be developed into the Clarke role or in defence ? Tough to get back in the small forward role with paps, Hayward etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back