Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But back to the topic, it's still puzzling (and worrying) that Wicks's re-signing has still not been announced. I can't imagine what could be holding it up.

To quote his dad from a couple of weeks ago;
45 isn’t going anywhere!

If there were an issue I'd imagine his name may have cropped up in trade speculation as the Swans certainly wouldn't want to lose him for nothing.

Don't know why his re-signing hasn't been announced, but I like to think he, Errol and Logan will be announced as a job lot. :)

Maybe a deal is agreed to in principal but we haven’t signed it off yet to decide on list flexibility after the trade period?

Sam could in theory spend the first year of a new deal still on the rookie list (they are allowing a 4th year again for 2022) if we wished.

(I realise we don’t normally do this but we could).

Maybe a deal is agreed to in principal but we haven’t signed it off yet to decide on list flexibility after the trade period?

Sam could in theory spend the first year of a new deal still on the rookie list (they are allowing a 4th year again for 2022) if we wished.

Deserves to be on the senior list.

I hoping it's to announce Gulden and McDonald at the same time.

Deserves to be on the senior list.
In past times when they could not freely play I would agree however the distinction between the lists now it’s far more blurred and I don’t see how it really matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the trade board (a Hawks supporter) North have offered Wicks a 4 year contract, presumably on quite a bit more money than we are offering him.
If true.. then * north - I now put them in the same boat as the crows.
We just had a trade period for that. north could've offered him a 4 year deal and traded some picks. Just as bad as using the PSD.

4 years is too much for Wicks ( from a Swans perspective), wouldn't begrudge Wicks for taking it.

Yep, and this is not a Dawson situation either. Wicks is a player I very much want to keep but having a 4 year contract in front of him instead of a 2 year, for a player in his position that is huge. I really want to keep him but at the same time if I were Wicks I would be considering North's offer.

Uh this would be way worse than Dawson as Wicks is a NSW lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back