15 year anniversary of 9/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well for those that are old enough we probably not only remember this sad event but we remember what we were doing when we first heard about it. In Adelaide it was after 10pm, Tuesday September 11 2001. I was watching tv funnily enough and was chatting on the computer. The next day the city and Rundle Mall were just dead and I still remember staring straight up at the buildings. Still life goes on, many other sad events have happened in the world since. Its just something I will never ever forget.

I was in England, driving from London to Liverpool with a mate for a night UEFA Cup match (vs Boa Vista, 1-1. Michael Owen scored. Jerzy Dudek's first game... but I digress).

Report came on the radio that there was a special emergency announcement coming up. Sounded a little heavy for music radio so figured something big was going down. The events played out over the next few hours as we listened in almost stunned silence as the updates came in. First tower, second tower, Pentagon, Pennsylvania.

The scale wasn't known at the time. It was still unfolding so the reports started coming in about a 2nd plane, a 3rd, a 4th. Trying to guess what the motivation was, the target. There was fear that London would be next, general panic.

The match went ahead though obviously a muted atmosphere.

I flew home a week later and the security stuff at the airport was absolutely off the chart.

I woke up on a Tuesday morning, walked into the bathroom to have a shower and flicked the radio on - these were the days before txt messages and Twitter etc so that was how i got news back then - and nearly fell over, and I remember thinking, oh no, this will start a war that will go forever.

I was in England, driving from London to Liverpool with a mate for a night UEFA Cup match (vs Boa Vista, 1-1. Michael Owen scored. Jerzy Dudek's first game... but I digress).

Report came on the radio that there was a special emergency announcement coming up. Sounded a little heavy for music radio so figured something big was going down. The events played out over the next few hours as we listened in almost stunned silence as the updates came in. First tower, second tower, Pentagon, Pennsylvania.

The scale wasn't known at the time. It was still unfolding so the reports started coming in about a 2nd plane, a 3rd, a 4th. Trying to guess what the motivation was, the target. There was fear that London would be next, general panic.

The match went ahead though obviously a muted atmosphere.

I flew home a week later and the security stuff at the airport was absolutely off the chart.

We only observed from a distance. Cant imagine how those who lived through it deal with such haunting memories. Especially the people who witnessed those jumping to their death from the buildings.

As horrific as the vision would have been, the scarier part would have been the unknown.

This was all out war when you are targeting multiple landmarks.

As a citizen in a western country, how could you be sure you weren't about to be targeted. How many more planes were coming. You wouldn't have felt safe any where in the world. Especially in the states.

Channel 7 should have cut straight to the news coverage but stuck with On the Couch (Thought it was Talking Footy back then).

They did?

Well, I think they did.

Unless I switched over to CNN or Fox News as I saw the second plane hit the tower.

I remember waking up in the morning getting ready for school and it was on, pretty sure we had it on the tv for most of the day at school.
Got a chance in 2013 to go an visit ground zero happened to be there on 9/11 and went for a look, didn't even think about it before hand but we couldn't get near the place, as it was closed for family. We went the next day, extremely moving. Missed out on the 9/11 museum opening by about a month.

I remember waking up in the morning getting ready for school and it was on, pretty sure we had it on the tv for most of the day at school.
Got a chance in 2013 to go an visit ground zero happened to be there on 9/11 and went for a look, didn't even think about it before hand but we couldn't get near the place, as it was closed for family. We went the next day, extremely moving. Missed out on the 9/11 museum opening by about a month.

We went to the Memorial in New York City this year, quite moving but had a 3 hour wait to get in. The lines were massive./

They have a much smaller memorial in New Jersey where you get on the ferry to see the status of Liberty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went to the Memorial in New York City this year, quite moving but had a 3 hour wait to get in. The lines were massive./

They have a much smaller memorial in New Jersey where you get on the ferry to see the status of Liberty.
Was it on 9/11? Wonder why it was so busy? We got pretty well straight in on 9/12

Insane, the only lines I've seen like that were for the louvre in Paris. Kms long on a once a month free entry day.

The Top of the Rock lines were massive as well.

As were Empire State Building and Bull of Wall Street (we saw that at like 11 pm with no one around. The police officer on duty let's us in)

The Top of the Rock lines were massive as well.

As were Empire State Building and Bull of Wall Street (we saw that at like 11 pm with no one around. The police officer on duty let's us in)
Empire State, we paid a bit extra, cut the lines and got straight up, well worth the extra. Went night of 9/11 so got the once a year opportunity to see the lights where the world trade centres stood.

Empire State, we paid a bit extra, cut the lines and got straight up, well worth the extra. Went night of 9/11 so got the once a year opportunity to see the lights where the world trade centres stood.

Brilliant.

I wasn't a fan of NYC. In fact, handed it. Just not for me.

Loved Las Vegas and Los Angles much better.

It was a shock coming from Vegas were our bathroom was bigger than our whole apartment in NYC and one night in NYC cost more than our 4 nights in Vegas.

LOL - yep. Agree with that and the closer to Time Square the more expensive it is.

Channel 7 should have cut straight to the news coverage but stuck with On the Couch (Thought it was Talking Footy back then).

I was watching that show and distinctly remember them going: "After the break we'll chat to Nick Holland." At which point I went to bed, thinking there's no way I could be bothered listening to him.

Then it all went down after that.

For a news junkie like me, if I'd stayed up another ad break, I would have been awake all night watching it all.

I went to ground zero in jan 2013. Was a very humbling place to visit. Pretty sad really. Security was way over the top though. Had to pass 3 security points, each on inaccessible without passing through the one before it and each one very in depth.

I was watching that show and distinctly remember them going: "After the break we'll chat to Nick Holland." At which point I went to bed, thinking there's no way I could be bothered listening to him.

Then it all went down after that.

For a news junkie like me, if I'd stayed up another ad break, I would have been awake all night watching it all.
I went to bed at about midday the next day I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back