15 year anniversary of 9/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't Lleyton Hewitt supposed to be in one of the towers at the time but had a last minute change of plans?

I suppose there are dozens of stories like that.
He was definitely in New York having just won the US Open. The creator of the family guy Seth MacFarlane had a ticket for flight 11 (the first plane to hit the trade center) but slept in.

I went to bed at about midday the next day I reckon.

I would have been the same. I was due to run a big presentation the next day, we ended up doing some of it and then just following the news. No-one was in the mood to do anything that day.

I would have been the same. I was due to run a big presentation the next day, we ended up doing some of it and then just following the news. No-one was in the mood to do anything that day.

I remember watching the news next few hours but can not remember what I did that next year day. I remember it going 24/7 for a week on the TV.

I remember watching the news next few hours but can not remember what I did that next year day. I remember it going 24/7 for a week on the TV.

That's what I remember too.

Every single channel with the same feed (CNN) also.

I remember thinking the ABC were immune from broadcasting it given their children's show prevalence.

Couldn't watch anything other than the videos I had (probably did other things.)

I remember thinking the ABC were immune from broadcasting it given their children's show prevalence.

Off topic - well sort of

I remember watching the NBA on channel 2 as a teen when the Gulf War was happening in the early 1990's. I used to hope they wouldn't have the news coverage on the TV And put the NBA on instead. But they would have it be on for hours talking and broadcasting of American TV about the Gulf War.

Used to annoy me but every time I hear the ABC news theme music, that memory of wanting the NBA to come on comes back.

Wasn't Lleyton Hewitt supposed to be in one of the towers at the time but had a last minute change of plans?

I suppose there are dozens of stories like that.

That was Ian Thorpe.

I remember we were watching the late news with Sandra Sully when the breaking news came in. Couldn't stop watching until about 3am.

Going to school the next day was one of those days were everything felt weird.

If you haven't already, watch "Reign Over Me"

It's about a man who loses him family in the 9/11 terrorists attack.

It stars Adam Sandler (yes, I know but he is quiet good) and Don Cheadle.

I happened to be giving closing arguments in a criminal trial that morning. It was the conclusion of a trial that went all day/early evening on Monday and the Judge had us give closings first thing Tuesday morning (8am). I remember going back up to the office on the 5th floor and it was completely empty which was unusual.

I put my things in my personal office and started looking around wondering where the hell everyone was. So I decided to go back downstairs and bullshit with court personnel. First person I saw in the hallway after elevators opened was the Judge's bailiff who told me "we are under attack". I was like who is we? She said it was our country and I swear I thought she had lost her damn mind.

She scurried by and I went over to clerks office which was also empty. I ran across the security guard and asked where the heck everyone was. He said across the street at Benders. I made my way outside the courthouse to see an absolute mass of humanity outside the restaurant. I found a couple mates and they informed me what had occurred and I was able to make my way to one of the TV's. Within five minutes of me being there the first tower fell and I immediately left for the Judge's chambers.

I expected that the Judge would simply declare a mistrial, notify the jury, and let them be discharged. I was stunned to see/hear his reluctance and flabbergasted when the defense attorney said we should let the jury continue to deliberate and tell them nothing. Needless to say, I voiced my opinion that this was a completely bad idea given that at that moment we knew planes were being steered into buildings in New York, Washington D.C. and there were reports of upwards of "20 or more planes" that air traffic was having trouble contacting. It was beyond my comprehension how we would not declare a mistrial and notify the jurors, given we had no idea if anyone had loved ones in planes or in these buildings.

Judge refused my request and I asked that we go into the courtroom and go on the record so I could make my formal objection. The defense attorney actually argued against it feeling his client would be "found not guilty" and we should conserve court resources and not have to retry the case at a later date. Interestingly, the Judge decided to punt a decision and took my argument "under advisement".

So 4 hours later, the city had been emptied out--courthouse included--- except for me, the Judge, his bailiff, the defense attorney and the defendant's relatives. Jurors finally came back with their verdict (guilty by the way) and the Judge then informed them what had transpired while they deliberated.

Naturally, the jurors were absolutely furious they had been left in the dark and apparently thought as the government's prosecutor that it must have in some way been my idea and/or I acquiesced to such a decision.

Fortunately for my boss (prosecutors are elected in the US) he was able to pull the transcript and provide it to newspapers and television reporters that our office had objected to keeping them in the dark and it could not be used as fodder against him in the next election cycle.

On a personal note, I was lucky not to lose any relative, friend etc that day...I did have a college mate who worked in a lower floor of the WTC and he was able to safely clear the collapse.

The next few days were surreal in that along with everything that happened, there was absolutely no planes above in the bright blue skies. Not one and it was strange not to see or hear a thing in the air for several days. That clearly stood out.

As an aside, my dad was on holiday in Europe taking a cruise that day. Interestingly, France refused to allow the ship entry to its ports and they had to seek safe harbor in England who did allow the ship sanctuary. He said the English people were more than accommodating to the Americans offering housing, etc..to anyone that might need it.

Last edited:
CsHXCq1VIAAwRw8.jpg:large

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back