15-year-old Maurice Rioli Jnr To Make Senior Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

The poaching is beginning.

Hope we have a warchest ready.
Doesn’t matter he’s family have already said he will not pick anybody else over Richmond, provided he’s good enough obviously.
He wants to play for Richmond.

Anyone know if he'll play TAC next season?

If he's boarding at Scotch he'll probably be at Okaleigh?

I've always needed a reason to get along and watch some TAC Cup. I reckon a Rioli would motivate me!

Doesn’t matter he’s family have already said he will not pick anybody else over Richmond, provided he’s good enough obviously.
He wants to play for Richmond.

I remember hearing the same thing. Has no interest in going anywhere else. I remember him in a photo under Maurice Rioli's picture/painting at RFC.....

I thought Freos rights to South Fremantle/any WAFL clubs expired in like 2019?

I may be going (already am) crazy but I seem to recall that they had ~25 years of access unless that got changed....

I think after Cal Twomey and Sheahan at the AFL reported Freo were eligible as well a lot of questions were asked on Freo's board on here and they showed the rules had been updated in like 2015 or something.
Anyone know if he'll play TAC next season?

If he's boarding at Scotch he'll probably be at Okaleigh?
Not sure if Oakleigh is a given. Garner was boarding at Scotch College and played for Eastern Ranges for example.

I think after Cal Twomey and Sheahan at the AFL reported Freo were eligible as well a lot of questions were asked on Freo's board on here and they showed the rules had been updated in like 2015 or something.

Not sure if Oakleigh is a given. Garner was boarding at Scotch College and played for Eastern Ranges for example.
Ok thanks, probably one of those things that everyone missed so we all get it mixed up

He might just play school footy like Cyril did as well when he boarded at Scotch

I may be going (already am) crazy but I seem to recall that they had ~25 years of access unless that got changed....

This is from the wikipedia article:
Until 2006 these rules would only apply during the first 20 years of the club's existence in the AFL. This 20 year provision was removed because it was felt to be unfair if a player had a son later in life.

These rules have been frequently criticised by non-Victorian AFL club officials as a "grandfather–son" rule that is biased against them. For example, the Adelaide Crows have not had a single father–son selection in 21 years, and missed out on Bryce Gibbs despite his father's 253-game career with SANFL club Glenelg from 1984–1994.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father–son_rule#West_Australian_and_South_Australian_teams

The link against the bolded is to PRE which I don't have a login for so can't check but it seems like it changed as part of the new father-son bidding process implemented in 2015.

Last edited:
This is from the wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father–son_rule#West_Australian_and_South_Australian_teams

The link against the bolded is to PRE which I don't have a login for so can't check but it seems like it changed as part of the new father-son bidding process implemented in 2015.
Yeah I had a look at that myself but wasn’t sure because of the PRE link and not a press release from the AFL but I trust the likes of Twomey to be correct compared to others in the industry.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Rioli mob made the news:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-07/rioli-family-afl-premiership-dynasty-from-pirlangimpi/10346380

Pretty interesting story, mostly about Helena Rioli's life and times. Contains the troubling line:

"Even the youngsters are on the radar, with Essendon and Fremantle eyeing off Maurice Rioli Jr."

Essendon, I guess, have an interest through the Tiwis being part of their Academy Zone. Freo? Maybe the link between Maurice Snr and South Freo?

I hope father / son trumps those.
Whoever Jnr goes to he’s going to be expensive.

So we should probably get used to that now.

Very interesting article though. It was a wonderful read.

From all accounts it got changed.

If Jnr nominates us Freo will force us to pay big for him because you just know they’ll probably be bottom 4 in 2020.

From all accounts it got changed.

If Jnr nominates us Freo will force us to pay big for him because you just know they’ll probably be bottom 4 in 2020.
At most we will have to pay our first round pick which won’t matter because it would mean he’s a gun and in that case we just do why norf did this year and trade our first pick knowing if they kept it they’d need to use it on their Tassie academy player and accumulate points for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back