15-year-old Maurice Rioli Jnr To Make Senior Debut

Interview

He's obviously very nervous but you can get a real sense for what he's like. Just a relaxed, easy going kid who seems really down to earth and genuine.

Sounds like his nickname is MJ too.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
Interview

He's obviously very nervous but you can get a real sense for what he's like. Just a relaxed, easy going kid who seems really down to earth and genuine.

Sounds like his nickname is MJ too.

LOL poor kid

what's your favourite thing to do away from school? … ummm I don't know probably school work.

What's your favourite subject? … ummm nah don't have one .. nup

LOL

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Game over, only saw last term & he didn't get it but post game they said he was "spectacular", so prob some highlights online in coming days?

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Poor kid.Really daunting stuff.Obviously a pretty shy kid outside of his comfort zone.Hopefully the expectations because of his name won't be too much too bare and turns him off AFL altogether.

Not sure how much homework the interviewer did before she met M.J but a few of her questions had me ?????

On a side note.....I'm in the N.T at the moment in a small Island community called Milingimbi (between Darwin & Groote), just a beautiful place. About 1500 people who love their footy, Very fortunate to be able to be here.....

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Poor kid.Really daunting stuff.Obviously a pretty shy kid outside of his comfort zone.Hopefully the expectations because of his name won't be too much too bare and turns him off AFL altogether.
Doesn’t sound like it seeing as he’s boarding in Melbourne thousands of km from home ,he didn’t have to do that

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Magic’ Maurice Rioli honoured with Richmond life membership
LAUREN WOOD, Herald Sun
December 10, 2018 6:30pm
Subscriber only
Maurice Rioli has been honoured by the Tigers, with the “magic” late star awarded life membership at Richmond.

Rioli, who played 118 games for Richmond, passed away on Christmas Day in 2010 at the age of 53 but was represented by his nephew Daniel, who played in the Tigers 2017 premiership win and accepted the life membership on his uncle’s behalf.

Former Richmond rover Dale Weightman said there was no one quite like Maurice, who left his opponents “floundering”.

MAURICE JUNIOR: I WANT TO BE A TIGER

SUPERCOACH: TOP 10 MOST EXPENSIVE PLAYERS REVEALED

THE PHANTOM: SUPERCOACH’S CHEAPER RUCK OPTIONS

“Maurice just did things that you marvelled at, and no-one could lay a hand on him,” Weightman said.

7707a650e10497b9d8b3e09bf15c1a1f

Maurice Rioli playing in the 1982 VFL grand final against Carlton at the MCG.
“He was so good in heavy traffic out on the field. It was just boom, boom, boom and next second he’d be gone, and opponents would be left floundering.

“So many times I saw blokes who thought they had him covered, and he’d just slide around them sideways and then slot the ball down the throat of one of our forwards. It was just brilliant to watch.

“He was a magic player.

“You knew when Maurice was around the ball that you had a chance, whether it was a one-on-one situation, one-on-two, one-on-three, even one-on-four … As long as Maurice was the one, you always had a chance because he just had that ability to be able to beat opponents.”

edc6d72c5b9dd575cdc1741c0c86a1c3

Daniel Rioli Will wear no.17 the same as his great uncle Maurice. Picture: Tim Carrafa
Rioli — a three-time All-Australian who finished second in the 1983 Brownlow Medal — kicked 80 goals during his six years at Richmond and became the first losing player in a Grand Final to win the Norm Smith Medal as best afield in the 1982 Grand Final defeat at the hands of Carlton.

Richmond’s longest-serving president, George Bennett, along with two star players from the

earliest years of the club — Jimmy Parker and Bill Mahoney — were also recognised as life members.

ba167f8433868598f8bb7a48626e95ab

Daniel Rioli accepts his uncle's life membership on Monday night.
08b69eede772ac9c79ccf38c09dc6bdc

Maurice Rioli’s premiership-winning nephew Daniel Rioli accepted the life membership on his uncle’s behalf. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Bobby Sands

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure how much homework the interviewer did before she met M.J but a few of her questions had me ?????

On a side note.....I'm in the N.T at the moment in a small Island community called Milingimbi (between Darwin & Groote), just a beautiful place. About 1500 people who love their footy, Very fortunate to be able to be here.....

How great, what is going on up there?

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Reading that it reminded me of how i feel about Dustin Martin , But i must say that i have seen both Dustin Martin & Maurice Rioli play live and i would personally have Dusty ahead of Maurice in my rankings
I've seen both as well. Dusty's 2017 season was one for the ages. Hardly any one can compete with that. But Maurice was more of a magician. Nobody could tackle him and yet he was one of the finest tacklers the game has seen. He was also the quintessential one touch player. Never fumbled, even in the sloppy mud heaps of the past. Different players, but I feel blessed to have seen both live.

I've seen both as well. Dusty's 2017 season was one for the ages. Hardly any one can compete with that. But Maurice was more of a magician. Nobody could tackle him and yet he was one of the finest tacklers the game has seen. He was also the quintessential one touch player. Never fumbled, even in the sloppy mud heaps of the past. Different players, but I feel blessed to have seen both live.
Same.

I remember the whole G go ooooh when Maurice did something spectacular.

The thing about Maurice was that in the early 80's he was playing football like it is played today - wonderful footballer.

I like the way we are so aligned with the Rioli family, might result in plenty of talent in the future.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Topic has been done to death , Dusty’s form at the level has endured alot longer than Maurice did . Fast approaching the top 30 Brownlow votes of all time says that

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Topic has been done to death , Dusty’s form at the level has endured alot longer than Maurice did . Fast approaching the top 30 Brownlow votes of all time says that
Physically strong armed his way to both the best in the League and the Brownlow...GOAT performance that year!

How great, what is going on up there?

The start of the wet season.....heat and a sh** load of rain.... I'm doing a bit of teaching at the local school. Principle has offered me an ongoing role here, which I'm seriously considering...:)....

Back