15-year-old Maurice Rioli Jnr To Make Senior Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

a lot of confusion happening here

year 2022 , think Ritchie

get the name right
The Richmond Brothers Football Club

Round 1 side

Grimmes Rance Vlastuin (why would you change it)
K mac Astbury Short
Ellis(because we need a whipping boy) Prestia Pickett
Stack Edwards Rioli
Rioli Lynch Rioli

Nank Cotchin Martin
Rioli Baker Ross RCD

Emg CCJ , Rioli

Last edited:

Daniel, Maurice or Maurice junior?

Image result for maurice rioli  1980

So I just read that he is on the Oakleigh Chargers list at 16 which is a fair effort. Does anyone know how he is tracking? The comments in the article I read sounded very promised by the coach of the chargers.
We must spread the word that he is not very good (for obvious draft reasons).....

So I just read that he is on the Oakleigh Chargers list at 16 which is a fair effort. Does anyone know how he is tracking? The comments in the article I read sounded very promised by the coach of the chargers.

Interesting he’s at the chargers

A lot of our draft picks from the last few drafts have been from them

(Higgins, Ross and Collier Dawkins)

Wonder if we have someone on the ground in Oakleigh

In the past we have gotten a lot from the northern knights

Coaches always talk up their players. We are all praying MRJ becomes a star for us. The news has been very quiet. Hopefully that continues BUT it is not because he is just an average player. No doubt he is adjusting to Melb life and that of course is a big factor.
Searching around he is not making any squads though. There was a u17 AFL team (36 player squad) in April that played NZ, which he wasnt in. Didn't make the Allies squad (that I am aware of) that some underagers do.

Anyway, hopefully he is settling in and slowly developing, and is keen to play AFL (for us!!), and we can pick him up for a 4th rounder!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s one of the most famous names at Punt Rd and Richmond may soon have another Maurice Rioli on its books.
Maurice Rioli Jr might be only 16, but is already showing signs he may be just as talented as his famous siblings and ready to carve out an AFL career for himself.
“He’s going to be a special player,” is Oakleigh Chargers coach Leigh Clarke’s assessment of the talented teen.
NAB LEAGUE: DAUGHTER OF AFL GREAT A TOP PROSPECT
EFL: THE LOCAL FOOTY CLUBS LOOKING TO END LONG FINALS DROUGHTS
EDFL: STRATHMORE STILL A FLAG CONTENDER
VFL: BAYLEY FRITSCH’S BROTHER IMPRESSING AT CASEY DEMONS
MPFNL: TRAVIS CLOKE SET FOR LOCAL FOOTY CAMEO

“You see very similar traits (to his dad and cousins).
Maurice Rioli Jr lines up for a goal for St Mary’s last year. Picture: Justin Kennedy
Maurice Rioli Jr lines up for a goal for St Mary’s last year. Picture: Justin Kennedy
“The way he flashes through. He reads the play, he has the awareness of the game that has been honed from a lifetime of playing around with a football.”
Rioli Jr has been named on Oakleigh’s NAB League list for 2019.
He is father-son eligible at both Richmond and Fremantle as his father made 168 appearances for WAFL club South Fremantle before the Dockers entered the competition in 1995.
Rioli Sr is Richmond royalty, awarded the Norm Smith medal in the losing 1982 grand final, receiving three All Australian jumpers and winning two best and fairests across a 118-game career.

Kayo offers 50+ sports live and on demand

But Rioli Jr, who is draft eligible in 2020, wants to join cousin and premiership player Daniel Rioli at Richmond.
He also made his debut for NTFL club St Mary’s in October 2017 and was a Rising Star nomination in Round 9 last season.
Daniel said earlier this month he wanted to sign a new contract at Punt Rd that would allow him to play with Rioli Jr.
Cyril Rioli in action for Scotch College.
Cyril Rioli in action for Scotch College.
Rioli Jr is following a similar path to the one cousin Cyril took.
He is in his second year at Scotch College, the exclusive private school Cyril attended before he was drafted to Hawthorn.
“Cyril talks very highly of him and (AFL Victoria Diversity Talent Manager) Chris Johnson spoke very highly of him as well but at the moment, we’re just very mindful of integrating him into the club and Melbourne and getting him into his school,” Clarke said.
“If he can settle down over the next couple of years, it certainly could be a beautiful link with Richmond and the ongoing Rioli name.”

Matty Clarke (or whoever our head of drafting is) was on a podcast recently and was asked about him and he didn't exactly fill me with confidence. Made it sound like he's far from a sure thing to make it to AFL level. Hopefully he was just downplaying things to take some pressure off the kid, or maybe he's just wary of anyone who's still two full years away.

Matty Clarke (or whoever our head of drafting is) was on a podcast recently and was asked about him and he didn't exactly fill me with confidence. Made it sound like he's far from a sure thing to make it to AFL level. Hopefully he was just downplaying things to take some pressure off the kid, or maybe he's just wary of anyone who's still two full years away.

Nobody is a sure thing to make AFL at 16. lol Boys often continue to grow well into their 20s both physically and mentally. I played with plenty of kids who assumed they'd make AFL at 16 who got no way near it and had 3 guys in my team who went on to play AFL who were all drafted after 22yo. We will wait and see.

Nobody is a sure thing to make AFL at 16. lol Boys often continue to grow well into their 20s both physically and mentally. I played with plenty of kids who assumed they'd make AFL at 16 who got no way near it and had 3 guys in my team who went on to play AFL who were all drafted after 22yo. We will wait and see.

Yeah I get that and that's why I think some of the expectations on the kid are a bit much, though I get it given his name.

I'm just saying that our head recruiter wasn't exactly buzzing with excitement, he was pretty measured/reserved in his assessment. It's not me saying this so you don't have to tell me about it. Two years is a long time at that age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back