15-year-old Maurice Rioli Jnr To Make Senior Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesnt matter, we just need to get a few third round draft picks to have enough points
Not necessarily, the AFL are currently reviewing the index points system after Sydney, North Melbourne and Collingwood traded their first round picks to avoid using them and instead use back ended picks.

I wish I was joking as I know some people have suggested this in jest but it's actually happening - can't remember where I read it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily, the AFL are currently reviewing the index points system after Sydney, North Melbourne and Collingwood traded their first round picks to avoid using them and instead use back ended picks.

I wish I was joking as I know some people have suggested this in jest but it's actually happening - can't remember where I read it.
a new rule will come in just as we are about to get maurice junior

we are going to get shafted

AFL point finger at Sydney,North and Collingwood then penalise Richmond.

My god, imagine 2 riolis running around.
I believe South Fremantle had a few Riolis all playing together at once. They also have some great names like Sebastian (Sibby) Rioli, Cyril Rioli Snr, Willie Rioli Snr, Maurice Rioli Snr etc.

I wonder if Maurice Jnr will pick Essendon.

Rioli has been listed by Oakleigh Chargers in the U18's for the 2019 season.

It’s one of the most famous names at Punt Rd and Richmond may soon have another Maurice Rioli on its books.
Maurice Rioli Jr might be only 16, but is already showing signs he may be just as talented as his famous siblings and ready to carve out an AFL career for himself.

“He’s going to be a special player,” is Oakleigh Chargers coach Leigh Clarke’s assessment of the talented teen.

“You see very similar traits (to his dad and cousins).

5b5759482807e217d71b3650e9c47ebd
Maurice Rioli Jr lines up for a goal for St Mary’s last year. Picture: Justin Kennedy
“The way he flashes through. He reads the play, he has the awareness of the game that has been honed from a lifetime of playing around with a football.”

Rioli Jr has been named on Oakleigh’s NAB League list for 2019.

He is father-son eligible at both Richmond and Fremantle as his father made 168 appearances for WAFL club South Fremantle before the Dockers entered the competition in 1995.

Rioli Sr is Richmond royalty, awarded the Norm Smith medal in the losing 1982 grand final, receiving three All Australian jumpers and winning two best and fairests across a 118-game career.

But Rioli Jr, who is draft eligible in 2020, wants to join cousin and premiership player Daniel Rioli at Richmond.

He also made his debut for NTFL club St Mary’s in October 2017 and was a Rising Star nomination in Round 9 last season.

Daniel said earlier this month he wanted to sign a new contract at Punt Rdthat would allow him to play with Rioli Jr.

d5bd79738be7754931c9d28424350c02
Cyril Rioli in action for Scotch College.

Rioli Jr is following a similar path to the one cousin Cyril took.

He is in his second year at Scotch College, the exclusive private school Cyril attended before he was drafted to Hawthorn.

“Cyril talks very highly of him and (AFL Victoria Diversity Talent Manager) Chris Johnson spoke very highly of him as well but at the moment, we’re just very mindful of integrating him into the club and Melbourne and getting him into his school,” Clarke said.

“If he can settle down over the next couple of years, it certainly could be a beautiful link with Richmond and the ongoing Rioli name.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back