15-year-old Maurice Rioli Jnr To Make Senior Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

MAURICE RIOLI'S DAUGHTER DOMINATES NT WIN:
Another standout from the carnival was Maria Rioli.
She's the daughter of the late great Richmond legend Maurice Rioli and today she was absolutely brilliant against ACT.
Rioli kicked seven out of the Northern Territory's nine goals in a 54-point win.
With performances like that, maybe she'll carve out her own football legacy as an AFLW player!

A football reporter from ABC NT (probably earlier in this thread) posted some insights (promising kid but kicking lacks penetration from memory) but Shazza_ scared them off and they stopped posting here. 🙄

he would have to plummet down the draft rankings with this kicking issue i would tihnk..

he would have to plummet down the draft rankings with this kicking issue i would tihnk..
Maybe.But you'd think with the WA connections they'll put in a bid to force our hand sooner than later.Afterall a Rioli is a Rioli.

Bumping the posts from the ABC journo before Shazza scared him/her off 🙄

I'm a commentator for ABC for the Northern Territory Football League, I covered the match he debuted in and I even work with the OP of this thread doing footy journalism up there. As for biased, not a Tigers fan or even a St Mary's fan.

At the very least it's not like the debut was a token appearance. He made about 3 or 4 more appearances last season and played Round 1 again this year. He hasn't played Round 2 or 3 and I believe once he comes home from school he will play the majority of the season in the Under-18s as St Mary's tend to get progressively stronger as the season goes on. It's obviously a far worse level of football but worth mentioning he's played a bit of senior footy with Imalu Tigers in the Tiwi Islands FL, the club that pretty much every Rioli started out at. He also went to the Under-16 Championships last year for NT.

In terms of his ability, he doesn't look out of depth at Premier League (NTFL A Grade) level but at the same time he doesn't have much of an impact. He has ferocious intensity and bravery; he will literally throw himself at opposition players to make a tackle and I'm surprised he hasn't injured himself yet. He has great footy vision and is very crafty, does the one-percenters well and has great acceleration off the mark. Good use of handball and not afraid to play contested footy despite his size, whether it be a pack around the ball or going for a contested mark. These are the pros.

However, there are some downsides to his game. The major deficiency is that he has very little kicking penetration especially off one foot. He struggles to kick further than 30-35 metres at times and the kicks are usually low enough that they can be intercepted after 15 to 20 metres. He doesn't have a lot of stamina, although this is something that will only improve in time along with his strength and size. The kicking penetration really is the big weakness though. There's a few 15/16 year olds playing seniors at the moment and unfortunately I can comfortably say the majority of them have offered more so far.

In terms of his personality, I met him last year when he did his first media engagement on a radio show I was co-hosting. He is very, very nervous around people he doesn't know but it's to be expected when he lived on the Tiwi Islands for most of his life and unlike some of the Riolis had two Tiwi Islander parents. He is definitely Richmond-mad due to his dad and also Daniel, who he is very close with. As I'm sure many of you know he has already met and had dinner with the Hardwicks and I believe Richmond are helping him attend school down south like Cyril and Daniel did. I honestly think that if the Fremantle or Essendon recruitors him they are terrible people and it would go a long way towards making him want to come home early. He's a lot closer with Daniel than Willie which kind of negates the WA argument.

In short, he has had a good taste of senior footy in the NTFL with St Mary's. He has terrific intensity and footy vision akin to Cyril and Daniel, but has no kicking penetration which combined with his size hinders his impact on games. He's an okay talent but behind some other 16 year olds in the NTFL. Very shy type and needs to go to Richmond for welfare reasons.
Thanks. He's definitely super exciting to watch but the next couple of years are crucial for his development. That being said, Willie was a super talent at 17 and took 4 years of hard work to crack the AFL system, so even if he's not quite ready at 18 he might still get there at some point.
No worries. For reference, round 1 of the NTFL season was 2 weeks ago so it's fairly recent info. But I'll let you know how he goes when he comes back for school holidays over Christmas.
If he continued at the same rate he is now then yes, I'd suggest rookie or a fourth rounder.
after reading that i suspect he will be a lemon

who would have thought a 15 year old who has not grown into his body yet would have kicking distance issues , and also be a shy kid at 15 . that is unheard of ! thank you mr counsellor man for your insight

Maurice Rioli has decide to give up football and take up a job at the first McDonalds in the tiwi islands (from a good sauce Tiger71 in combination with relton roberts)

...No student of Scotch College would ever work at Macca's ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

surprised this guy was touted as a top 10 pick when he was 16 to now potentially not being draft able? especially considering he moved to Melbourne, into a private school, with guidance from Daniel and RFC...wonder where it all went wrong.

he has 12 months on his side so hopefully he can be the player we all hope, seriously no pressure on the kid though, football isn't everything

surprised this guy was touted as a top 10 pick when he was 16 to now potentially not being draft able? especially considering he moved to Melbourne, into a private school, with guidance from Daniel and RFC...wonder where it all went wrong.

he has 12 months on his side so hopefully he can be the player we all hope, seriously no pressure on the kid though, football isn't everything
I am pretty sure the only people putting him as a top 10 prospect were us excitable mugs in here with the Great Maurice highlight snippets still bouncing around our alcohol demolished memories. What a great opportunity for the kid though. Still early days... but not sure he was ever in serious top 10 calculations... (again .. when dad named him Maurice... he basically got the job with us though!!)

No avid junior football watcher ever touted him as a top ten draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back