15-year-old Maurice Rioli Jnr To Make Senior Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s actually not half as silly as it sounds , was thinking recently who shai reminded of , McLeod came to mind , maybe closer to home. Diff kicks , Shai is a raking kick good goal radar , MR was surgeon like with his short pass precision and great handballer too
The first clip of Shai I saw was when he was in the u18’s and he was running down the wing and bouncing the ball, taking long strides and launched at goal from the 50 and to me it looked like Peter Matera.

I have only really seen him in that role when we beat Freo at Optus a couple of years ago. I think he may have got Brownlow votes that day

The first clip of Shai I saw was when he was in the u18’s and he was running down the wing and bouncing the ball, taking long strides and launched at goal from the 50 and to me it looked like Peter Matera.

I have only really seen him in that role when we beat Freo at Optus a couple of years ago. I think he may have got Brownlow votes that day
That was the game he was pretty much BOG and didn’t get a rising star nom because ol’ mate Brad Johnson didnt watch the game 🙄

Maurice jnr is only worth a rookie pick on his form but we might have to use a third rounder.
Def higher than rookie on exposed form , 40+ looks about right , however 30+ wouldn’t surprise either. He improved loads to play senior footy , it’s reasonable to expect that improvement to continue being in a premiership environment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ignoring the players that are linked via Academy, etc, then this year there are probably about 30 names that seem to be mentioned a bit and turning up on draftwatchers lists and phantom drafts.
After about the first 30 you can throw a blanket over the rest so I'm guessing a bid for Maurice Jnr could come any time after pick 30. Could be earlier if clubs are prioritising a pressure forward and he is the best option.

THE SONS OF GUNS
There have been suggestions the Rioli in this year’s AFL draft could be the “best of the lot”.

Maurice Rioli Jris a father-son prospect for Richmond, where his father Maurice Rioli Sr played and his cousin Daniel Rioli remains on the list.

Elijah Hollands is not a father-son prospect for the Tigers, but his dad Ben did play eight games for the club in 1999.

Sandringham Dragons prospect Jake Bowey is a small midfielder whose father Brett Bowey played 85 games for the Saints from 1988-94.

Luke Edwards’ father Tyson Edwards a dual-premiership player and 321-game star at Adelaide, but the Crows have told him he won’t be taken in the national draft under the father-son rule. Despite the setback, Edwards is still hopeful of being picked up by another club or as a rookie.

Cross-town rival Port Adelaide also has a father-son prospect in Taj Schofield, who’s dad Jarrad Schofield was a Power premiership player.

Joel Jeffrey’s father Russell Jeffrey played 42 games for St Kilda and eight games for the Brisbane bears between 1987 and 1992, while Sturt product Tom Powell is the son of former Adelaide player Matthew Powell.

Fellow Sturt product James Borlase is the son of former Port Adelaide player Darryl Borlase, while Northern Knights product Nikolas Cox is the son of former Fitzroy, Brisbane Lions and Melbourne utility Darryl Cox.

1606601448456.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back