150 Year Anniversary Dinner

hotham

NMFC 1869
North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jan 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eels
You are a spring chicken Nelroo. I am old 😊

With that out of the way, would there have been odd circumstances with JB? Or are media commitments too high a priority?

I noticed that as well
Heard him commentating Rich/ Go Dees..
7 has many commentators, couldn’t arrange a leave pass or a temporary replacement?
On another note, was Kingy at the function?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

dus

Premiership Player
May 14, 2002
Poker Table
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Blight unlucky to not be top 3-5.

Aylett lucky to be in there at all considering he tried to ship us off to the Gold Coast.

It’s like splitting hairs after Carey. Clear number 1. What a time that was to be a North supporter. Intimidated everyone.

Arch top 15.

Glad to see Stevo get recognised. He was a warrior.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stevo was a super player, courageous, tough but it’s a puzzling decision to have him top 10.
In my opinion he was behind Carey Schwass and Mckernan in that era. On par with Archer

I rate him about the same as Matty Larkin and have Jimmy Krakouer above both of them.

And then outside of Carey, Cable has all that I’ve mentioned covered.

Blight unlucky to not be top 3-5.

Aylett lucky to be in there at all considering he tried to ship us off to the Gold Coast.

It’s like splitting hairs after Carey. Clear number 1. What a time that was to be a North supporter. Intimidated everyone.

Arch top 15.

Glad to see Stevo get recognised. He was a warrior.

Agree with all of your comments but in particular the one about Allen Aylett. Just find it so hard to forgive and forget.

Last edited:

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stevo was a super player, courageous, tough but it’s a puzzling decision to have him top 10.
In my opinion he was behind Carey Schwass and Mckernan in that era. On par with Archer

I rate him about the same as Matty Larkin and have Jimmy Krakouer above both of them.

And then outside of Carey, Cable has all that I’ve mentioned covered.

Longevity, sustained excellence, individual honours and premierships. Stevo has them all covered. Not by much, but he deserves to be ahead.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Longevity, sustained excellence, individual honours and premierships. Stevo has them all covered. Not by much, but he deserves to be ahead.

Not in my book, but happy for him to get some recognition after all the stuff he faced in his career.

Duck king Carey

Debutant
Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just want to share this story about Les Foote, it was the day before the 1999 grand final, I was a young bloke working in the city and had my North Melbourne scarf on. A old man walked up to me and said “ you support the right team son”.
He asked me questions about how long I had barracked for North, favourite players at the club etc. I told him it started with Malcom Blight, then the Krakouer brothers to the 90s stars of that day and I bleed blue and white.

He asked if I had ever heard of Les Foote. I said I know he is a club legend and held in high regard. He told me Les was good in his day, how special it was to barrack for North and what it meant to be a Shinboner, also said he hated * and he was very happy where Denis and Carey had taken the club.

He gave me a firm handshake and we both said “ GO North” for the big one the following day.

20 minuets later he was back with a North Melbourne hat and a A4 black and white picture of himself in his prime, in his North Melbourne jumper kicking a footy, it was Les Foote. He signed it and said he had to come back because he could see how much I loved the North Melbourne football club.

Les Foote didn’t have to give me the time of day, but he did, the club meant so much to him, I never saw him play but from that day forward he was one of the greatest shinboners to ever put on the blue and white for me. It is a person like this that makes the North Melbourne football club so special.

Thoroughly deserves to be in the top 10 players of our footy club.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Just want to share this story about Les Foote, it was the day before the 1999 grand final, I was a young bloke working in the city and had my North Melbourne scarf on. A old man walked up to me and said “ you support the right team son”.
He asked me questions about how long I had barracked for North, favourite players at the club etc. I told him it started with Malcom Blight, then the Krakouer brothers to the 90s stars of that day and I bleed blue and white.

He asked if I had ever heard of Les Foote. I said I know he is a club legend and held in high regard. He told me Les was good in his day, how special it was to barrack for North and what it meant to be a Shinboner, also said he hated * and he was very happy where Denis and Carey had taken the club.

He gave me a firm handshake and we both said “ GO North” for the big one the following day.

20 minuets later he was back with a North Melbourne hat and a A4 black and white picture of himself in his prime, in his North Melbourne jumper kicking a footy, it was Les Foote. He signed it and said he had to come back because he could see how much I loved the North Melbourne football club.

Les Foote didn’t have to give me the time of day, but he did, the club meant so much to him, I never saw him play but from that day forward he was one of the greatest shinboners to ever put on the blue and white for me. It is a person like this that makes the North Melbourne football club so special.

One of the best tales I have read here in 17 years of posting

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's interesting just reflecting on last night and listening to the players discuss the 2 era's we have had.

The common theme of the 70's and 90's was the development of absolute top end youth in both era's - players who are now in our top 10 of all time.

On top of that in the 70's we added experience players from the VFL and interstate mature aged players.

In the 90's we topped up with some mature aged players but the core of the team was the youth from the Under 19's.

You look at our list now and there is some good youth and mature players there - but are they absolute top end - will they themselves be top 10 in 25 years time?

Time will tell of course but it seems to me we are stuck in the middle - we have a NMFC 1980's type list - some good players who are more than capable on their day but are they absolute top end required to win a flag? I refer to the Larkin's, German's of that era.

To repeat the 70/90's format we need 2-3 absolute jets - one back, one middle, one forward - to propel ourselves into the 70/90's type of list.

Tough to draft/attract those players in the modern era and we have tried our hardest to do it.

If we assume we can get Josh Kelly for 2021 we need 2 more absolute guns. Maybe it's TT, maybe it's LDU - maybe we are about to draft the required players this year - but we need them and we to get on with it if we want to win a 5th flag rather than be a competitive 'we can beat anyone on our day' type of team which is what the 1980's list was in hindsight.

Also forgot to mention Eugene

When the Tassie thing started I sent an email to him and he rang me and met him to explain why they needed to do it

I saw him last night, I said hello, he just grabbed me and said mate we are still here that’s all that matters

😭😭😭

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

WOW, get da fruit out of here!

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some awesome stories from last night. Thanks to everybody for sharing.

I couldn't attend due to being overseas atm but I remember Roosistence like is was yesterday.

Sounds like those of you who were there last night will remember this one for a long long time.

Fair to say I'm envious of all of you who went along.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Some great speeches.

That goal from Carey on the run against Geelong is one of my favourite clips. He wants them to come at him afterwards - almost daring them to get in his face. That's Wayne Carey to me, supremely talented - and with extreme physicality to back it up. As a club built around "us vs them" Carey is the obvious choice for #1. That's the way he played and lived. As a kid in the 80's and early 90's my memories of Carey are of him playing with 3 blokes hanging off him all game.

I like the mark against Melbourne where Blighty commentates "where's Carey? there is is, ahaha" so matter of factly. Sums up his performance that night.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I like the mark against Melbourne where Blighty commentates "where's Carey? there is is, ahaha" so matter of factly. Sums up his performance that night.

This quote sums that performance best:
1996 against Melbourne. I've never seen a more completely and utterly dominated game. The look on Neitz's face afterwards was like someone had told him he only had a week to live.

Back