150 Year Anniversary Dinner

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a lot of acts of real generosity from Carey that have never made the public eye because he doesn't trade on them.

He's also a basic country bloke who has been on a massive roller coaster ride, in full public view, for his entire adult life.

The disconnected judgmental puritans are the ones who project the real behavioral issues.

Wayne Carey wasn't done in by judgemental puritanism (even though he offered up plenty of ammunition.) He was really brought undone by the politically incorrect rules of Aussie masculinity - the worst crime being you don't boink your mate's missus!

Was Carey 3 sheets to the wind or just s**t scared Arch and Stevo were going to belt him from behind?

Just on Stevo, while I do agree that Cable should have been top ten, and Anthony would appear to be the one whose inclusion was dubious, think about this.

If it was 'No Carey, no North' look at their winning records...

Carey 164 W /108 L (60.29%)
Stevens 173 W / 1 D / 118 L (59.42%)

Not sure how to find out about win/loss records in games they didn't play, but Stevo was the heart and soul of the team and his pressure acts and 1%ers were vital in keeping us in games. In the days when the player going for the ball was rewarded, or at least not penalised, he was always the one on the bottom of packs handing the ball back to the umpire. The number of times he would produce an inspirational smother was exceptional.

So, while I can agree that the likes of Schwatta were better in 'pure class', Stevo epitomised the era in so many ways, only (officially) eclipsed by his best mate.

Just on Stevo, while I do agree that Cable should have been top ten, and Anthony would appear to be the one whose inclusion was dubious, think about this.

Not sure how to find out about win/loss records in games they didn't play, but Stevo was the heart and soul of the team and his pressure acts and 1%ers were vital in keeping us in games. In the days when the player going for the ball was rewarded, or at least not penalised, he was always the one on the bottom of packs handing the ball back to the umpire. The number of times he would produce an inspirational smother was exceptional.

So, while I can agree that the likes of Schwatta were better in 'pure class', Stevo epitomised the era in so many ways, only (officially) eclipsed by his best mate.

Interesting K-man.

Would be curious to see these stats presented only for the period their senior careers overlapped - I'd imagine something like 1991-2001.

In playing in the 2002-2004 seasons Stevens' stats are skewed by being part of a side on the decline, new coach, not paying the full cap etc which Carey didn't have to endure.

Interesting K-man.

Would be curious to see these stats presented only for the period their senior careers overlapped - I'd imagine something like 1991-2001.

In playing in the 2002-2004 seasons Stevens' stats are skewed by being part of a side on the decline, new coach, not paying the full cap etc which Carey didn't have to endure.
Actually, Carey went 12-16 (42.86%) in 2003-04, while Stevens went at 29-1-29 over 2002-04 (50% if you ignore the draw.)

They both played from 1989 - 2004.

I don't feel as though too many feel he doesn't deserve the accolade however...

For mine - as much as anything , beyond pure football skill, Stevo has created the stories of legend and lived the shinboner spirit at the highest level.

I'm sure there are more but just a few;

"Stevens broke his foot in the 1999 prelim, but managed to play the grand final before tearing his pectoral muscle in the second quarter"

"Stevens lost two litres of blood and had two operations after injuries caused when falling glass hit Stevens outside the Redback Brewery Hotel in North Melbourne on 11 March 2000"

"He was named as ruck rover in the club's official 'Team of the Century'. "

"North Melbourne captain Anthony Stevens displayed a team-first mentality when he took the field for his beloved Kangaroos as captain

"In agreeing to sit down and break bread with former team-mate Wayne Carey ahead of the club's 20-year premiership reunion, Stevens showed the selflessness that characterised his football career."

Its these tales and 15 years of achievements that make me comfortable that he sits in the top 10 North players of all time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good it to hear The positive comments and support for Rhyce Shaw from Carey “well done and with a finger point to him we are right behind you”, Keith Greig “when he went down to the club recently, Rhyce went out of his way to introduce himself and then spent 10 minutes talking to keith’s Wife , and blighty and Stevo wishing him all the best.
It just shows what a good person and what a great impression Rhyce has made since been at the club.
My sister went to the night and commented that Rhyce was fantastic on the night talking to and getting photos taken.

Corey spent a good 20 minutes or so speaking one on one with Jed. No idea why I took this photo, but I loved that he went out of his way to spend a good deal of time with him 20190803_232655.jpeg

Just got home from the 150th dinner. What a week it's been - I'll never forget it (except for the 12 hours of Missing Time I experienced at Crown - how I ended up in the beetle position under the Mahjong Table I'll never know). I spent today just doing the Thai Massage circuit through suburbia with a few ex-pats. It's amazing how many of these fine establishments have opened in down-town Melbourne - they've been a revolution. I can highly recommend the Naked Float - I felt brand new afterwards. I haven't been this relaxed since I purchased a Rio Tinto share in 1999 and sold it 12 months later for a cool 10% profit. That my friends, is champagne share trading. Anyway, just making my way to the Sleepy Willow for tomorrow nights game vs The Filth.
I hear the baked potatoes go alright? I might even buy a couple of them - I can afford it after my last pay increase. I told my boss last week how I felt I'm underworked & overpaid. He agreed and just splashed a few more $ my way. He's a top bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back