Toast 150 Years of Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when my team used to have to rely on its history to garner a sense of pride. Sort of.

But at least Richmond went a limited time between winning finals. How longs it been now?

21 years since our last GF win. What's your point exactly?

Also... you do know how many years are between 1980 and 2017, right?

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind owning the book if the price was reasonable, but the fancy wrap appears to have trebled the price.

https://membership.essendonfc.com.au/rbcmember

New-Book-Image.jpg
I've got the limited edition Strong & Bold 130 years of Richmond history given to me as a present 5 years ago. Wasn't game to ask what they paid. It's similar to the Essendon one by the looks of this image.

Anyway, massive club Essendon steeped in history, look forward to renewing the rivalries with both teams at the pointy end of the ladder.

Rhett's up to his third edition already and I've felt compelled to buy each time. :moustache:

This is probably the definitive club history but only goes up to the early 1990's. Not easy to find.

9711284550.jpg

He’s a very good writer.
Btw…did you see his old man on The Front Bar? I could listen to KB for hours. Sharp as a tack with memory of stories and always that brilliant KB wit. Love the guy.

I've got the limited edition Strong & Bold 130 years of Richmond history given to me as a present 5 years ago. Wasn't game to ask what they paid. It's similar to the Essendon one by the looks of this image.

Missed that totally. Will have a look around...

Edit: Yeah it looks like the same concept as the Essendon book.

Last edited:

Anyway, massive club Essendon steeped in history, look forward to renewing the rivalries with both teams at the pointy end of the ladder.

Tigers just as massive and the Richmond bf board has given me hours of side splitting comedy over the years. Easily the most witty bunch of nutcases on this site.
My best mate is a Tiger fan and when I was a kid we had family friends who were all Richmond fanatics. Me and the old man had to endure many Tiger thumpings around 80-81’ at the G and I always dreamed of being that powerful a side. Little did I know that 84’ and 85’ would deliver me that same feeling.

Punt Rd oval is the last of the suburban grounds survived in its old time condition and is as important to Australian Rules Footy history as the MCG. The entire Yarra park area is living history in fact.

And of course you just couldn’t imagine what the history of our game would be like without the great Jack Dyer.

In my mind he is easily the most iconic figure in the history of the game.

I love watching old footage of him and was devastated when he passed away.

I know it's not the same as some of the deep dive club history books already posted, but I have this book which my son and I love to go through:

View attachment 1241193

Funny story, I won an academic prize during my Year 12 many, many moons ago (yep... I'm a nerd) and the school asked prize winners to go source a book that they'd pay for and we would be given at a ceremony. Everyone else chose dictionaries or reference books for their particular subject areas... I chose this. The Education Minister was presenting the prizes and actually said "good choice" when he handed it to me.

haha ..love it

Might search eBay for a copy ☝️

Tigers just as massive and the Richmond bf board has given me hours of side splitting comedy over the years. Easily the most witty bunch of nutcases on this site.
My best mate is a Tiger fan and when I was a kid we had family friends who were all Richmond fanatics. Me and the old man had to endure many Tiger thumpings around 80-81’ at the G and I always dreamed of being that powerful a side. Little did I know that 84’ and 85’ would deliver me that same feeling.

Punt Rd oval is the last of the suburban grounds survived in its old time condition and is as important to Australian Rules Footy history as the MCG. The entire Yarra park area is living history in fact.

And of course you just couldn’t imagine what the history of our game would be like without the great Jack Dyer.

In my mind he is easily the most iconic figure in the history of the game.

I love watching old footage of him and was devastated when he passed away.
Cheers.

We'd be of the same vintage. Have only vague recollections of the '67 & '69 premierships, but '73, '74 & '80 bought unbridled joy. Essendon was the sleeping giant.

Was a little envious of Sheedy joining Essendon in 1981 but very envious by 1984 when we decended into the basket case we became whilst Essendon basked in glory steered by one of our legends. (Sound familiar of late?)

My best mate I met during my Uni days in 1979 is a mad Essendon supporter. We had 2 tickets to the 1984 GF on the southern half forward flank scoreboard end. I can still see him with his head in his hands at 3/4 time in total despair. I have never seen him as happy as that next half hour bought!! He's a reasonable sized lad, I'm surprised those old wooden seats didn't snap from the pounding of his constant jumping up and down in that last quarter. Amazing win.

As much success as both clubs have had in their overall and recent history, apart from the 1995 semi, we have to go back to the 1944 prelim when both teams met in a final. Lets hope that changes soon. There's a different feel in the air when we play Essendon, Collingwood or Carlton.

Interestingly it seems as though there is a reluctance from some in the Essendon supporter fraternity to acknowledge the club had an unpalatable moniker. That Essendon ran a club endorsed PED program. That Essendon got off lightly for intentional salary cap breeches that crippled Carlton. That a coach believed an Aboriginal player who was an integral part of the ‘92 and ‘93 would be unreliable in the ‘93 grand final for cultural reasons. That little Jobe deserves to keep his medal.

They don’t even know who they are and have an identity crisis. This documentary will be a cross between cluedo and guess who as we try and figure out which non- Essendon entity is responsible for Essendon failings that never happened …

A bit like you guys, I guess, who can't admit that your club is only 25 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers.

We'd be of the same vintage. Have only vague recollections of the '67 & '69 premierships, but '73, '74 & '80 bought unbridled joy. Essendon was the sleeping giant.

Was a little envious of Sheedy joining Essendon in 1981 but very envious by 1984 when we decended into the basket case we became whilst Essendon basked in glory steered by one of our legends. (Sound familiar of late?)

My best mate I met during my Uni days in 1979 is a mad Essendon supporter. We had 2 tickets to the 1984 GF on the southern half forward flank scoreboard end. I can still see him with his head in his hands at 3/4 time in total despair. I have never seen him as happy as that next half hour bought!! He's a reasonable sized lad, I'm surprised those old wooden seats didn't snap from the pounding of his constant jumping up and down in that last quarter. Amazing win.

As much success as both clubs have had in their overall and recent history, apart from the 1995 semi, we have to go back to the 1944 prelim when both teams met in a final. Lets hope that changes soon. There's a different feel in the air when we play Essendon, Collingwood or Carlton.

84’ GF me and the old man were way up the stands directly behind the city goals. I was 14.

we had this direct line of sight straight down the middle .
At 3qr time I can vividly remember all the bomber adults around me saying “ We’ll get em…it’s only a few goals”
I didn’t share in that optimism.

That first goal in just 10 seconds from the bounce still gets the hairs prickling anytime I think about and it almost brings tears to the eyes right now.
Daisy Williams pumps a wild flat punt straight down the guts from Maddens awkward tap and Baker collects and slams through a goal.
I’ll never ever forget my old man grabbing me by the duffle coat collar and screaming “ Here we go..here we go!!!!”

Of course there were another 8 of those to come and it was glorious. Adults around me were crying and hugging.

Best moment of my life.

I missed the 93’ and 2000 flags because I’d moved to Queensland by then in my 20s.

84’ memories are just so wonderful 🙏

85’ at the G was just supreme confidence and everyone just settled in for the show. A bit like 2000. Just knew we would win. I can remember the satisfaction of just waiting for the siren so we could hear that bomber roar when TD raised the cup again. Good times.

Last edited:
LOl..:tearsofjoy: you knew exactly who i was thinkin bout :thumbsu: god bless him...was still kicking on well after midnight of a saturday night in '85-'86..respect

my older cousin lived in Airport West and used to give updates on the shenanigans of Harvs. Chicks hanging off him left, right and centre lol

Lol... on the topic of Essendon & Richmond rivalry i know this has been mentioned before, that in a sliding doors moment in 1980,Phil Carman
was best afield in Essendons defeat of eventual Premiers Richmond 2 weeks prior to headbutting boundary umpire Carberry
@ Moorabbin,the theory goes that Carmans 20 week suspension again cost a side, the up n coming Essendon this time, a chance for finals & in the process
forcing the club to seek a new coach as it was now 7 seasons of no finals by the end 1980...they recruited and appointed former Richmond
champion and captain Kevin Sheedy and the rest as they say is history,if only theyd made finals that year :'(:'(

Lol... on the topic of Essendon & Richmond rivalry i know this has been mentioned before, that in a sliding doors moment in 1980,Phil Carman
was best afield in Essendons defeat of eventual Premiers Richmond 2 weeks prior to headbutting boundary umpire Carberry
@ Moorabbin,the theory goes that Carmans 20 week suspension again cost a side, the up n coming Essendon this time, a chance for finals & in the process
forcing the club to seek a new coach as it was now 7 seasons of no finals by the end 1980...they recruited and appointed former Richmond
champion and captain Kevin Sheedy and the rest as they say is history,if only theyd made finals that year :'(:'(

yep …I can vividly remember my old man listening to the game on radio and coming into my room telling me Phil had been reported for headbutting an umpire at Moorabbin.

The disappointment on his face is etched in my memory.

In hindsight it signalled the end of Barry Davis’ coaching time after 2 years and the EFC board seeked out a new coach at the end of the season.

Sheedy and Alan Jeans both applied for the position and Sheedy got the job.He instantly transformed the playing group with a brutal training regime that summer implementing what he’d learnt from Hafey at RFC

Last edited:
I remember when my team used to have to rely on its history to garner a sense of pride. Sort of.

But at least Richmond went a limited time between winning finals. How longs it been now?

this thread is about celebrating 150 years of the Essendon Football Club

You of all people should know what it’s like to wait between Premierships.

You’ve just won 3 glorious flags and had a wonderful time watching the great RFC return to power like the “ good old days”

So if you want to pot shot and wallow in negative comments..go ahead.

No one is bothered son.

It’s just your deranged mind filling your dark soul with desire to be a spiteful, pathetic human.
And I’m sure you don’t want to be like that type of man…surely?

Youve put up alot of top Ess players

But just on Ken Fraser who was a top Centre Half Forward - ive got to be careful posting multiple times on this thread - 3 or 4 years back some idiot on the Geel board reckoned i was a Haw supporter - hah - now they will be claiming im a Dons supporter

But on Fraser( Ess capt at the time i think ) - and i did go to the 68 GF - hell of a long time ago - but it wasnt much of a game - be interesting if any other posters went to that GF . But Fraser did his knee and severely - might have been the week before i cant remember - but that is why Geoff Blethyn came in - he took Frasers spot

One thing i can vividly remember about that GF ( and thats why i mentioned - whether any other posters went to that game ) and youve got to remember back then - nothing was really organised - there wasnt the security of today - so there was plenty of people on the ground , Now you would think theyd do this before the game - but im almost certain it was 3-4 minutes after the game finished . And Fraser for the Ess supporters did a lap of honour around the boundary line - and when i say a lap of honour - he couldnt walk - 2 blokes carried him for the lap - i can picture that - him going past where i was sitting

The other thing about Ken Fraser - as good a CHF as he was - he was an ordinary kick - a really ordinary kick - had an awkward ball drop . There was an Ess v Geel in the mid 60s at Ess and it ended in a draw - and Fraser kicked a pt in the dying seconds from a decent distance to tie it up - and he got pushed or something and he got offered another kick - but he knocked it back - and settled for the pt and the draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back