Remove this Banner Ad

It's a cracker. He'll be good at hull in a more advanced position than he had with us. Worth every penny? SM

Yeah looked very good, I guess we'll see how he kicks on, but it was a promising debut.

Obviously it is.

Not sure judging his ability as an AM can be made from one goal in one game but go for your life.
My main issue with Mason was he just could not control a game for us in the number 8 position he regularly played in and imo it was a reason why we dropped crucial points to the likes of West Ham and Chelsea late in the season.

If he was with Dembele or Bentaleb he'd look ok, but that's because them two were much better in possession and were able to control the tempo of games. Far too often in the second half of last season we relied on him and he was out of his depth and we dropped crucial points (games mentioned in particular plus the Newcastle debacle) and imo was a major reason for our inconsistencies in those games.

Imo as a hard working, crunching tackling box to box type is the role he is suited for, but he needs a calm, but creative head next to him to keep him in order.

He failed out on loan regularly as number 10 before Poch converted him to a number 8, he's a much more proven 8 than a 10 hence why I'm skeptical he will ever make it as a 10.

Geeze, sorry for saying a player looked good in a position and looked above championship standard. In future I'll wait two seasons before making an assessment.

We had an argument in this thread about a player who has played two hours of football for spurs. Mason has now played more than that for us. But I'm not allowed to make an assessment?

My main issue with Mason was he just could not control a game for us in the number 8 position he regularly played in and imo it was a reason why we dropped crucial points to the likes of West Ham and Chelsea late in the season.

If he was with Dembele or Bentaleb he'd look ok, but that's because them two were much better in possession and were able to control the tempo of games. Far too often in the second half of last season we relied on him and he was out of his depth and we dropped crucial points (games mentioned in particular plus the Newcastle debacle) and imo was a major reason for our inconsistencies in those games.

Imo as a hard working, crunching tackling box to box type is the role he is suited for, but he needs a calm, but creative head next to him to keep him in order.

He failed out on loan regularly as number 10 before Poch converted him to a number 8, he's a much more proven 8 than a 10 hence why I'm skeptical he will ever make it as a 10.
Didn't he score a fair few goals at some of the club's he went on loan? Scored a hattrick somewhere I think.

Geeze, sorry for saying a player looked good in a position and looked above championship standard. In future I'll wait two seasons before making an assessment.

We had an argument in this thread about a player who has played two hours of football for spurs. Mason has now played more than that for us. But I'm not allowed to make an assessment?

Intetestin to note the lack of faux outrage by a certain poster over this also.

Intetestin to note the lack of faux outrage by a certain poster over this also.
Who do you mean? Pups seems to dislike mason so all I was suggesting is so far he's looked very good for us in an advanced role, but apparently I'm not allowed to say that makes him better than championship quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how Mason's whole season playing as a box to box keeping Dembele out the side in 14-15 is totally forgotten
Did he?

Or did Bentaleb? Imo AVB wrecked Dembele once Sandro did his knee then Sherwood didn't rate him afterwards and Dembele found himself a long way back and was playing other roles such as a number 10 or on the right before Poch gave him another chance in central midfield.

I did say when he was playing next to Dembele or Bentaleb meaning Bentaleb in 2014-15 or Dembele last season.

Did he?

Or did Bentaleb? Imo AVB wrecked Dembele once Sandro did his knee then Sherwood didn't rate him afterwards and Dembele found himself a long way back and was playing other roles such as a number 10 or on the right before Poch gave him another chance in central midfield.

I did say when he was playing next to Dembele or Bentaleb meaning Bentaleb in 2014-15 or Dembele last season.
Considering Bentaleb played the more defensive role I'd say no it was Mason playing the pivot b2b role

Didn't he score a fair few goals at some of the club's he went on loan? Scored a hattrick somewhere I think.
Yeah, he was a striker and then a 10, and rated as one of the best of his age before persistent injuries struck, all through his academy days but when Poch came in he played him in that deeper role.

Personally, I thought he was best as an 8/box to box with a more defensively inclined and physical CM next to him. It best suits his good passing range as well his tenaciousness and intensity. He also times his runs into the box well from a deeper position but his finishing can let him down.

That goal was a belter though with wonderful technique, not many goals will be better than that in this competition this season.

Yeah, he was a striker and then a 10, and rated as one of the best of his age before persistent injuries struck, all through his academy days but when Poch came in he played him in that deeper role.

Personally, I thought he was best as an 8/box to box with a more defensively inclined and physical CM next to him. It best suits his good passing range as well his tenaciousness and intensity. He also times his runs into the box well from a deeper position but his finishing can let him down.

That goal was a belter though with wonderful technique, not many goals will be better than that in this competition this season.

Perhaps paired with Livermore in midfield he'd do well then. Or Henriksen, who is pretty good box-to-box himself, they looked good together this morning.

Did he?

Considering Bentaleb played the more defensive role I'd say no it was Mason playing the pivot b2b role
Speaking of Bentaleb. Did you see his exquisite assist for Huntelaar last night/this morning?

In an alternate universe somewhere they're both combining in exactly the same way at White Hart Lane.

https://streamable.com/yw9c

yw9c.mp4

But he played for Spurs for like 10 years :drunk: and I knew about him for at least 6 ;)

But he played for Spurs for like 10 years :drunk: and I knew about him for at least 6 ;)

Did he play for Spurs for 10 years? In the first team? Gee whiz he must be an ace then!

He was a Spurs player for that long but he was developing. Two years ago if I'd asked you about Kane you'd have said he was rubbish, and that you knew that for sure because of how long he'd been a Spurs player.

Perhaps paired with Livermore in midfield he'd do well then. Or Henriksen, who is pretty good box-to-box himself, they looked good together this morning.
Yeah, I think you would have a pretty good all round mix of defensive and passing abilities as well as tenaciousness if you played Huddlestone - Livermore - Mason in a midfield 3.

He hit the hat trick and Swindon playing as an am. His problems on loan were that his body in the early days let him down.

Speaking of Bentaleb. Did you see his exquisite assist for Huntelaar last night/this morning?

In an alternate universe somewhere they're both combining in exactly the same way at White Hart Lane.

https://streamable.com/yw9c

yw9c.mp4
Shame about his attitude and not fighting for a spot harder. Easily could have stuck around and forced himself into being close to first team football. Only problem is he is kinda half way between the Dier role and the Dembele role. So minutes would be hard to find without him either having to play a different way or us change the way we play. Square peg for Poch's round holes. We should get a good fee and rightly so he is a talent

Did he play for Spurs for 10 years? In the first team? Gee whiz he must be an ace then!

He was a Spurs player for that long but he was developing. Two years ago if I'd asked you about Kane you'd have said he was rubbish, and that you knew that for sure because of how long he'd been a Spurs player.
Nope

Took an eye on Kane after I heard him doing well at LO in 2011, Redknapp played him in the EL the next season and while he didn't set the world on fire I thought there was a player to work with.

AVB didn't help his development imo but Sherwood did and he put him into the first team and played him with Adebayor for two months in 2013-14 before Poch upgraded him to outright top dog.

Don't get so presumptuous mate. I have a clear opinion on Mason and it won't change.

Nope

Took an eye on Kane after I heard him doing well at LO in 2011, Redknapp played him in the EL the next season and while he didn't set the world on fire I thought there was a player to work with.

AVB didn't help his development imo but Sherwood did and he put him into the first team and played him with Adebayor for two months in 2013-14 before Poch upgraded him to outright top dog.

Don't get so presumptuous mate. I have a clear opinion on Mason and it won't change.

Ok.. my point was that saying someone played at your club for 10 years is clearly silly when he hasn't played at your club for 10 years. He's been on your books for 10 years, yes, but playing in entirely different set-ups and environments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back