16 a side

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Mark Evans..... What can we say. On the AFL website this morning he wants to look at trialling 16 or even 15 a side for the AFL. What are peoples thoughts? How would it change the game? How would people respond?

I know how i would respond and it's very simple. If it were to happen the last game of footy i ever go to watch would be the last 18 a side game. This guy is an affliction on the game. A virus that needs extermination before anymore of his absolute bullshit theories, opinions and ideas take root.

Look I hate the suits at the AFL trying to keep themselves relevant and justifying their big pay packets as much as the next guy buttt IMO this could be a good move.

I love Aussie Rules, and understand its forever been 18 a side, but dropping 2 players and reducing it to 16 could actually make a big positive difference. More space, less congestion, easier for amateur leagues and overseas comps to field teams etc. It's not the dumbest suggestion I've heard put it that way.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hopefully that would be enough for supporters to form some kind of organised boycott and remind the AFL who pays their wages

I’m not necessarily against changing to 16 a side, but to suggest this on the basis of a solitary exhibition match is idiotic and classic AFL knee-jerk reaction.

I reckon the underlying reason for this is that overall AFL crowds have stagnated for a decade (despite 22 additional matches) and the AFL admin are privately agitated. Whatever the case, they need somebody better to sell it than a bumbling non-entity like Evans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea behind it is to reduce congestion. If it was reduced to 16 players, all that would happen is coaches would find a way to cause congestion in that situation as well. The best teams are built around pressure, and high pressure often leads to congestion. That would still be the case and the best teams who can play under heavy congestion would still dominate.

Instead of 16 a side I'd rather see a variation of the zones rule. Something like you must always have 2 players inside your own 50.

But personally I'd not change it at all. I think the game at the moment is in a sweet spot in regards to the amount of inside pressure football and outside run and flow. The odd game is slow and scrappy but that will happen even if you had 10 a side. It's what happens when you have a physical game, look at any other physical sport in the world and they have games that are slow and congested.

Chris Scott mentioned that he thought it could be the simplest way to improve the game, base on when they used 16v16 at training. Isn't it a least worth a serious trial? I assume the extra two would just join the interchange, boosted to 6

Sounds much better than any form of offside rules. One aspect of AFL which is unique and appealing is the almost total lack of offside rules (just the centre square really)

Look I hate the suits at the AFL trying to keep themselves relevant and justifying their big pay packets as much as the next guy buttt IMO this could be a good move.

I love Aussie Rules, and understand its forever been 18 a side, but dropping 2 players and reducing it to 16 could actually make a big positive difference. More space, less congestion, easier for amateur leagues and overseas comps to field teams etc. It's not the dumbest suggestion I've heard put it that way.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yep would make the game more skilful and less about zone defence/clogging up stoppages. Great, free flowing games such as Hawthorn v Collingwood, Geelong v St Kilda, Adelaide v Sydney and North Melbourne v Melbourne have become endangered species.

It would reduce the level of congestion that has been a blight on the game for a decade or so. It's not the worst idea going around.

Who cares if it's Mark Evan's idea, play the ball not the man.
widening the goal posts would increase scoring....this idea is along that same level of thinking. improve the game by all means but certainly don't change the game. if we just keep changing the game every time we want to make it more appealing in 20 years we're gonna end up with blernsball

200.gif

If we're going to bring in 16 a side shouldn't we bring in zones and bibs too?
Playing 16 a side football = netball. Good one. :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back