Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How long have Pittard, Williams, Atley, Macmillan, McDonald been on our list? It’s not just a 2020 issue

The club have drafted Crocker, Murphy and Perez over the last 2 drafts so they have added to defenders who can replace within this group. The Crocker draft was also interesting as we had 3 F/S to pick up (so couldn't draft for need) and got a late trade for a reasonable player named Curtis.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has Bonar ever played well in the midfield? He didn’t play in his top age year and never got good numbers in the NEFL. I think they played him half forward on the couple of occasions that he made GWS seniors.

I reckon we just get him in the side. We are screaming out for some strong mid sized bodies since Spud and Hunter left. I reckon Kyron would be happy to be getting game time anywhere on the field and so too Bonar.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Has Bonar ever played well in the midfield? He didn’t play in his top age year and never got good numbers in the NEFL. I think they played him half forward on the couple of occasions that he made GWS seniors.

I reckon we just get him in the side. We are screaming out for some strong mid sized bodies since Spud and Hunter left. I reckon Kyron would be happy to be getting game time anywhere on the field and so too Bonar.
I agree, with Cunners issues atm its a perfect opportunity to just throw him in the guts and see what he’s got.

At best we unearth another rising star, at worst we get closer to a top 3 draft pick..

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree, with Cunners issues atm its a perfect opportunity to just throw him in the guts and see what he’s got.

At best we unearth another rising star, at worst we get closer to a top 3 draft pick..

I will say it again, watch the last quarter of the Swans game and the 8 minutes he played on ball. His work in and around the stoppages is very good. He was on the move and engaged his opponent. When he did get into the contest, he used his strength and quick hands to get it out to teammates. It is a terribly small sample size but encouraged me after being bitterly disappointed in him at 3/4 time.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Give this bloke 6 weeks in the middle and that is center square, let him settle in, if you base his worth on 1 game then most people won't get very far. Don Bradman made exactly 0 in his first appearance, Warne got 1-150 in his first game, Jordan only got 16 points...........We don't have enough opportunity to get young blokes in key position early enough for long enough. The 3 big players will be out for a while, perfect time to get a block of games consecutively into the right players we need in the center square. Since LDU is injured, i don't see why not we put Dumont centere and captain; Simpkin and Bonar on ball. Then you bring in bailey to run along the wing. Ziebell can sit out for a while long because if he is not fully fit then he is useless. As to inspirational boom given by the skipper, a highly performing skipper is inspirational in itself.

With Hall, a lot of people are saying this and that but he needs to be manage and will be a weapon. His main issue is his confidence so don't start him,inject him into the game when the opposition has had a run, a bit tired and puffed, by then he will be fully fit and ready to go, getting a few early touches and kicks to get his confidence up, from there he will be in his rhythm. Don't put too much pressure on him, pressure from the opposition is fleeting at best, it's pressure from oneself that truly breaks oneself.

1594183421267.png

1594183445172.png

Aberration

Team Captain
Jun 24, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What was the thought process here?

Looked completely lost in the backline.

He's a midfielder. Play him there.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are we trying to destroy his confidence? Show the kid some respect and give him a real game in the position he trained for in the pre-season. Instead we decide to * up our entire structure by throwing our wingers on ball.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am not seeing it with this guy but I agree with others who say he needs an extended period in the middle.

Is Bonar the guy on $1.2m over 3 years?

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
God he looked slow out there. May as well have gotten a tram to the ball.

Yet the club talks up his speed? I think he just looks lost in his role. We killed Atley by ever playing him in his best position, Bonar is a connected player, we need to play him there. Thinking Scott and Shaw would play Carey at HB if they had their chance.

I am not seeing it with this guy but I agree with others who say he needs an extended period in the middle.

Is Bonar the guy on $1.2m over 3 years?

I think he has a long, long way to go but I don't see much value in playing him back. Will never, ever be a backman IMO and we aren't exactly smashing it in the middle.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'm a bit perplexed by the lack of latitude given to this bloke around the board in the last 24hrs.

He's an inside mid that has been brought in twice this year as the sacrificial lamb, to play as a permanent forward and then as a bloody back pocket.

He's the same age as Kyron Hayden FFS and just about as experienced.

I seem to remember Kyron gifting the opposition a good 5 goals across the last 3 weeks, people seem perfectly happy to overlook those in the view of development without writing him off.

He's statistically been pretty good when he's actually been put around the ball...

I have no idea what the coaches are trying to do with him. We aren't exactly flush with star midfielders at the moment and our form can't get any worse, give him a chance ffs...

Back