Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Conundrum

All Australian
Jul 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We I feel want players that can rotate through the middle and not be one dimensional. Agree with Pykie , not sure what peeps expect from a such an inexperienced kid.

Anyway, hope he stays in the side and continues to get valuable exposure at this level. He has confidence issues I do know that.
Seems a lot of our draftees have confidence issues, aside from Jy, I don't think there's been any recently who come in and had the self-confidence to really stamp their spots. Maybe garner if he didn't have iniuries, and LDU maybe - otherwise we've had McKay (openly talked about as lacking desire/confidence), thomas (also early days but seems the withdrawn type), durdin (not a lot heard about him), etc etc. A byproduct of the good upstanding citizens Brad had a penchant for?

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why do people think he is a midfielder? Has there ever been any exposed form for this at any level?

Conundrum

All Australian
Jul 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why do people think he is a midfielder? Has there ever been any exposed form for this at any level?
Not sure about where GWS was playing him, and in NEAFL, however draft profiles at the time of his draft said his best positions were half forward and inside midfield.

GarnerSmash

10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure about where GWS was playing him, and in NEAFL, however draft profiles at the time of his draft said his best positions were half forward and inside midfield.

He played a handful of games at Dandenong Stingrays over two years due to knee injuries, and was never anything like an accumulator.

Primarily bit part half forward/mid at GWS in the NEAFL.

And we expect him to be part of the midfield rotations at AFL level now due to what, his physical attributes? The kid desperately needs game time at VFL level to expose him to the requirements of being on ball. Unfortunately that ain't happening.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Almost none.

Underage and NEAFL he’d play mid for a low teens possession game. His best attribute was a high tackle count 7-8.
Yeah, I checked the stats a few weeks back. Has never played as a regular mid at any level.

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seems a lot of our draftees have confidence issues, aside from Jy, I don't think there's been any recently who come in and had the self-confidence to really stamp their spots. Maybe garner if he didn't have iniuries, and LDU maybe - otherwise we've had McKay (openly talked about as lacking desire/confidence), thomas (also early days but seems the withdrawn type), durdin (not a lot heard about him), etc etc. A byproduct of the good upstanding citizens Brad had a penchant for?
Jy's a great example because he had his issues with confidence. People forget that. I recall this Board was ferocious on him and he actually got dropped at one stage.The secret to him was to back in his talent and give him enough time to realise that he belonged. And does he belong. Until we do the same with Bonar, also a talent, the rest is just speculation.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Too early to tell.

I will say I have concerns on his natural ability but he deserves time.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
I just don't really see it with Bonar, to me he looks more an athlete than a footballer. This is based on limited vision though admittedly.

But based on the games he has played the difference between him and Hayden is that, yes Hayden makes mistakes, but you can see he is at least trying to take the game on and appears to have a footy brain. Whereas Bonar just looks lost.

Hopefully he comes good however.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm a bit perplexed by the lack of latitude given to this bloke around the board in the last 24hrs.

He's an inside mid that has been brought in twice this year as the sacrificial lamb, to play as a permanent forward and then as a bloody back pocket.

He's the same age as Kyron Hayden FFS and just about as experienced.

I seem to remember Kyron gifting the opposition a good 5 goals across the last 3 weeks, people seem perfectly happy to overlook those in the view of development without writing him off.

He's statistically been pretty good when he's actually been put around the ball...

I have no idea what the coaches are trying to do with him. We aren't exactly flush with star midfielders at the moment and our form can't get any worse, give him a chance ffs...
Well said the guys played 3 games in a foreign position with us, calm the damn farm on these kids.
Never fails to amuse me that Higgins, Atley, Tarrant ECT. Can kick the ball out on the full or turn it over and bugger all said, but these young guys played out of position make mistakes and the bloody pitchforks out.
🤦🤦🤦

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is it possible one of the most damaging hb in the league when playing for the swans looks at our list and shudders.
Is it reasonable to assume we might be looking at replacing one or two back there?

As the cupboard is currently bare, one person who’s a good size, got good pace and reasonable disposal, might be an option?

Jan 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is it possible one of the most damaging hb in the league when playing for the swans looks at our list and shudders.
Is it reasonable to assume we might be looking at replacing one or two back there?

As the cupboard is currently bare, one person who’s a good size, got good pace and reasonable disposal, might be an option?
I don't quite follow the first point?

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Keep playing him to see if he adds something, not impressed so far but with no VFL and our season all but done might as well see what we have to work with.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
With Jy we've seen the cheeky bulk around Luke Hodge in his first couple of games, we've seen the ankle break of Brave Bont in TT's first year, we've seen a young Zurhaar fend off Dusty style and take the eventual Premiers for 11 tackles and we've seen Curtis take hangers and have the balls to kick the winning goal in just his 6th AFL game..

This bloke has shown nothing to me that says he's going to make it unfortunately.. love to be proven wrong though.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just don't really see it with Bonar, to me he looks more an athlete than a footballer. This is based on limited vision though admittedly.

But based on the games he has played the difference between him and Hayden is that, yes Hayden makes mistakes, but you can see he is at least trying to take the game on and appears to have a footy brain. Whereas Bonar just looks lost.

Hopefully he comes good however.
A good chunk of our side don't really play like athletes or footballers so I'd like to see us persist with an athlete.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With Jy we've seen the cheeky bulk around Luke Hodge in his first couple of games, we've seen the ankle break of Brave Bont in TT's first year, we've seen a young Zurhaar fend off Dusty style and take the eventual Premiers for 11 tackles and we've seen Curtis take hangers and have the balls to kick the winning goal in just his 6th AFL game..

This bloke has shown nothing to me that says he's going to make it unfortunately.. love to be proven wrong though.

All have one thing in common, all mid-forwards. I would say Bonar has had a lot less opportunity to show his unique talents.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
All have one thing in common, all mid-forwards. I would say Bonar has had a lot less opportunity to show his unique talents.
What unique qualities does he have that's going to make him dominate (any) position on the ground?

Nothing against the lad but I only see him as another run-of-the-mill footballer that the system churns in and churns out every year. Hence the urgency for GWS to offload him to us.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What unique qualities does he have that's going to make him dominate (any) position on the ground?

Nothing against the lad but I only see him as another run-of-the-mill footballer that the system churns in and churns out every year. Hence the urgency for GWS to offload him to us.
Massive unit, elite speed, elite vertical jump, long kick? Doesn't mean he'll make it but he has plenty of points of difference.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Massive unit, elite speed, elite vertical jump, long kick? Doesn't mean he'll make it but he has plenty of points of difference.
i wouldn't say 6'2 87kg is a massive unit. Haven't seen his in game speed yet hopefully it there, haven't seen the long kicking either as of yet.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, SF 49ers
In the Neafl in his first year at the Giants he averaged the 2nd most clearances, contest possessions and tackles for them. Didn't get big possession numbers though. The 3 stats above say inside mid.

Back