Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swap of future picks. As close to free as you can get for someone taken at pick 11.

Pretty sure the Dees got Pickett out of that trade. So if he keeps up this form, it might actually turn into a good trade for both sides.

He was outstanding yesterday having to spend the majority of the game on Danger. Almost completely nullified his impact.
Keep up the good work Aiden!

Pretty sure the Dees got Pickett out of that trade. So if he keeps up this form, it might actually turn into a good trade for both sides.

He was outstanding yesterday having to spend the majority of the game on Danger. Almost completely nullified his impact.
Didn’t they get Pickett by splitting our first rounder up in a trade with Freo? Conversely, we got Tommy Powell with their first round pick last year - that’s a definite win win (Powell will be better though).

No, it was a 2020 pick swap, and Pickett was drafted in 2019. Looks like there were pick swaps galore, I have no idea where it ended up.

Didn’t they get Pickett by splitting our first rounder up in a trade with Freo? Conversely, we got Tommy Powell with their first round pick last year - that’s a definite win win (Powell will be better though).
No, it was a 2020 pick swap, and Pickett was drafted in 2019. Looks like there were pick swaps galore, I have no idea where it ended up.
Ahh yep that's right - thanks for confirming!
Looks even better then :p

Has the makings of becoming an AA defender. The pace, size, skills and aggression.
Will bookmark this but he has all the attributes.
Could become a forwards nightmare.
The showing on the weekend only makes me more confident we have a gem on our hands.
The comparisons with Spud are fair but Bonar is more athletically gifted in my view. The closing speed in isolation is something else.
I mean he took on Hawkins in a one and one and broke even.

A Bonar-fide defender
Becoming established in an AFL side is rarely a straightforward task.
By Dan Woods - North Media

Becoming established in an AFL side is rarely a straightforward task. Whether it be through injuries, athleticism or competition for spots, there will always be roadblocks in a young player's career.

Initially drafted as an athletic and explosive midfield or forward option, a move into North Melbourne’s defence at the end of the 2020 season has paid dividends for former Giant Aiden Bonar.

For the 22-year-old, breaking into an established and quality midfield group once arriving at North was difficult, so he applied himself and converted to become an aggressive and classy influence in the back-line.

After yet another impressive performance in the defensive unit against Geelong, often finding himself up against the likes of Joel Selwood, Gary Rohan and in particular Patrick Dangerfield, Bonar says he is starting to see himself as a bona-fide defender.

“I’m loving it. I get to play on the really dangerous forwards and 'Nobes' (David Noble) has faith in me to play on those sorts of players,” Bonar told North Media.

“At the moment I’m really loving it down there and I think I’m actually enjoying it more than the midfield.

“There’s a lot of expectations to get the job done which I love … I’m trying to clench onto the opportunity and grab it with both hands.”

Noble was complimentary of the job Bonar is doing in defence in his post-match media conference.

After the number 16's defensive masterclass against the Cats, he publicly praised the number 16, labelling him a reliable and dependable influence in the back half of the ground, and that he was really starting to cement his spot in the best 22.

Bonar says while this public praise fills him with confidence, he isn’t going to allow himself to get complacent.

“I means a lot coming from 'Nobes', but I’m never really comfortable. You can’t allow yourself to get comfortable at this level,” he said.

“I know I have to keep working hard, training hard and going in with a good mindset, because there’s always guys knocking the door down in the VFL.

“It’s just a build-up through the week of doing your homework and watching how your opponent goes about their footy … [and] when you get out there you have to stick to your strengths and limit their impact.”

The hard work Bonar committed himself to over pre-season is paying off, as his athletic capabilities and positional awareness seem to be improving every week.

He says he entered the 2021 pre-season with a specific set of goals in mind, and his teammates are helping him achieve what he set out to accomplish.

“I felt like I needed to improve my aerobic capacity and ability to run games out,” he said.

“This year I feel like I’ve been able to really do that compared to a few years before. I was working a lot with Jy (Simpkin) and he’s one of the best runners at the club.

“I knew if I could stick with him, even if I was hanging off a bit and lagging behind I was still at a good standard.”

The showing on the weekend only makes me more confident we have a gem on our hands.
The comparisons with Spud are fair but Bonar is more athletically gifted in my view. The closing speed in isolation is something else.
I mean he took on Hawkins in a one and one and broke even.
There was a moment also where he and Dangerfield where chasing a loose ball.

The tone of the commentary kinda expected Danger to burn him off with pace but Bonar was there the whole way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back